Author Topic: Help with 18 tooth drive sprocket install  (Read 7339 times)

Robb

• Scooter
on: August 10, 2007, 02:42:35 am
What size is the ginormous nut that holds the drive sprocket on?  I'm going up a tooth and have got the bike torn down to that point and am now stuck.  Looks to be about 50mm.  Bloody huge!
TIA.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 02:58:39 am
went out to the garage to check my repair and parts manual..  they gave no size..  .. it is big 4 sUrE

gemini641

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 03:47:10 am
I used a 1" combo wrench...very slightly loose but worked fine without buggering the nut.

Tom

Robb

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 04:14:02 am
1"?!  Mine appears to be much larger than that.  Almost 2 inches or about 50mm.  I tried a large pair of Channel Locks, but I didn't want to bugger up the nut, so I stopped short.  This is on an '05 Military.  Lookie here:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 04:15:49 am by Robb »

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 04:23:37 am
oh MaN :o

crimnany

I would just be tempted to change the oil somewhere.. and Live with what I haVe

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 05:09:35 am
I would use this as an excuse to get at least two more tools to add to my already bulging toolboxes. First a good set of measuring calipers, to accurately measure the nut, then a socket or spanner capable of grasping it..  Smiles all the way to the hardware store.  But then, I am a tool nut.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 12:44:32 pm
I have removed a leaf from my feeler gauge to fill the gap on wrenches that were a shade loose in places where a rounded off nut would create heartache.
Digital Callipers from Harbor Freight have completely taken the place of the verniers unless I am just comparing sizes.
Pawn shops are a good place to get a single wrench from. I got an 8mm & a 10 mm yesterday in a place that sells by the pound. While I was digging thru the pile I found things oput of place & put them where they belonged. The ol dude gave me the 2 wrenches. Your 2" ish one wont likely be free, but new will be costly. If it is real easy access & a clunky wrench wont be a problem, maybe a crescent will do the job. It looks like it from the pic.

How is the engine held while twisting on such a nut?

Robb

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 02:04:02 pm
I have a digital caliper, just didn't use it for the photo because the flash washed out the LCD display.  Seems like I might be able to use a pipe wrench or a crescent.  I'll try it when I get home from work tonight.

How is the engine held while twisting on such a nut?

No need to.  It's not connected to the engine, it's the transmission output shaft.  Just stomp on the rear brake real hard and twist it off, keeping mind that it's right hand thread.  All that predicated on whether or not you have the right tool, of course.... :D

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 10:41:53 pm
I've always used a large pair of Chanelocks... 
don't forget to bend down the tab on the washer...
left handed thread as well...
no.. wait...
alt. nut and clutch hub nut are left, I think...
oh hump!!

it is threaded but I can't remember which way!!

mike
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 11:10:32 pm by baird4444 »
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Robb

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 02:21:45 am
AH Ha!  It's standard lefty loosy.  I knocked it off with a Ford wrench, no problems.  All it needed was a large enough wrench.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 05:37:05 am
hee, hee.. very good..

don't force it just get a bigger hammer :D ;)

Diane

• Neophyte
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 03:01:57 am
I miss riding my Renfield (that's his name), sprocket is almost done.  Broke one bolt on cover and waiting for part.  Thanks, Robb for all your help.  Now quit your dinkin around and let me ride my bike !!!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 03:55:41 am by Diane »

Robb

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 04:09:26 pm
I miss riding my Renfield (that's his name), sprocket is almost done.  Broke one bolt on cover and waiting for part.  Thanks, Robb for all your help.  Now quit your dinkin around and let me ride my bike !!!

Yes, Dear.  Sheesh, fricken' slave driver......