Author Topic: Swarf on Primary Gauze Filter  (Read 9457 times)

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #30 on: April 15, 2015, 12:37:36 pm
This one is way out there but here we go, could it be engine sealer?  That stuff can harden up pretty well. Of course I don't have my hands on it to be able to say but just a thought.  I remember early on with mine there were some chunks that came out and they were quite rigid and silver but they were hardened silicone or whatever they use to seal things up.

2 cents.

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #31 on: April 15, 2015, 01:11:41 pm
I guess they don't make 'em like they used to!

I have had a lot of Iron Barrel RE engines apart, and have never seen metal like that come out unless something was broken. Must be a by-product of that new automated high speed production.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 01:36:22 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #32 on: April 11, 2016, 06:47:53 am
Hi all.

I've resurrected my post from last year to give an update for any new GT owners facing the same thing.

I've just changed the oil after 2400 miles ready for some decent riding weather - hopefully!

I put a sieve underneath the oil as it drained - no more bits of metal! Also, the gauze filter had only a few tiny flakes of aluminium. 

So it does seem normal to see some debris during the first few oil changes - presumably flushing out the stuff that should've been cleaned out prior to assembly.

John

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #33 on: April 11, 2016, 07:49:42 am
 You should have seen the swarf that came out of the Iron Barrels at oil changes during break in back in their day.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #34 on: April 11, 2016, 06:23:35 pm
RE engines were put together (including UCE) without cleaning the parts before assembly. I am not saying dirty parts, but parts that has not been cleaned in an industrial fashion. The result was a lot of stuff that showed up on the magnets and in oil for the first couple of oil changes. It was harmless but very disconcerting. You would have found the same on many other engines. Ducati's were famous for it.

That left us with the problem of "fuzz". It took a while for RE to "go there" but they finally realized that it came from the cotton gloves the fellows were wearing while assembling certain parts of the engine. The engine halves come from an oven and the bearings are dropping into them. As they cool the bearing are held tight.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

PerazziMx14

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: April 12, 2016, 11:13:42 am
I changed the oil in my 2012 at 37 miles, 138 miles and at 550 miles and there was nothing in the screen or filter and only a tiny bit of black swarf on the drain plug each time.