Author Topic: Fork End-Cap Spacing and Torque?  (Read 1448 times)

RP McMurphy

• Scooter
on: April 11, 2015, 12:10:37 am
Hey all-- long time, no see.

I was wondering if anybody knows how I should orient the gap that's left between the front-fork end-caps, and the fork studs. One general guide I read online said that you should orient the spacing to the back (in other words, tighten the foremost nuts completely before tightening the back nuts), but I'm unsure of this on the Enfield, since the front axle is offset. Snidal's manual doesn't have anything to say on the matter.

Lastly, what should I torque the bolts too? I have an AVL Engine in a classic frame Bullet-- 2008 model year, front drum brake. I'm aware that overtorquing the bullets can easily crack the lug caps, and that I can upgrade to steel endcaps. Snidal's bible says 9.3 ft/lbs of torque, but that seems incredibly low. Should I be using loctite on these lugs, or will that throw off the torque value (ie, wet vs dry torque specs?).

Lastly, I'm going to be taking a crack at rebuilding my front drum brake-- new shoes, cams, and springs. Any advice on fitment and adjusting anyone can give, I would much appreciate. I plan to have a mechanic check my work and adjust the brake as needed once I get it all back together, since I need to have the rear-brake light wired properly as well.

This, and my sprag-clutch removal (don't ask me how long that's been something that needed doing), are basically to get my bike out of the driveway. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

RP

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 02:27:50 pm
I try to make the gaps about equal, and I use the factory torque figure, and no Loctite.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

RP McMurphy

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 06:07:52 pm
Yeah, I kind of realized that when I took the wheel back off. It's way less complicated than it appears.

Thanks Ace! I'll update when I finally get the brake plate off and rebuuild the brake