Author Topic: 70/65W Osram Rallye headlight bulb  (Read 3615 times)

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 09, 2015, 03:54:15 pm
Greetings all,  I'm back after a winter's hibernation and I'm looking to upgrade to the highly recommended 70/65W Osram Rallye H4 headlight bulb. 

Can the AVL stock wiring handle this?  Our stock bulb is a 30/60 watt if I remember correctly.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Chuck

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 09:36:54 pm
I wouldn't do it knowing Enfields have weak electrical systems.  I would spend money on a high output LED bulb instead.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 09:50:56 pm
That's a good idea- do you have one you'd recommend?

Anyone else care to weigh-in on the 70 watt draw?

Thanks!
Chuck

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 01:27:51 am
12 volt system, 70W filament, 70 divided by 12 is 5.833 recurring Amps. If you're worried the headlamp wiring isn't up to it, you could use a headlamp relay and some heavier duty wiring. I think the alternator is rated at 100W maximum.

My Electra's LED headlamp bulb replacement works fine, but it's bulky. If you go for one of these, make sure it fits without fouling the speedometer.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 02:37:59 am
Thanks- I did Google a few led options and was a bit worried about the rear depth of it.  I have a cheapo h4 in there now and it barely fits with the speedo cable.  5 amps doesn't sound like much.  I'll do a bit of research regarding wire gauge and load and make a judgement call. 

My gut tells me 70w shouldn't fry my harness if they use 60w in the stock bulb.  plus I rarely ride at night so low beam is all I'd need most days. It's more for visibility than for me to see.

Thanks again all.  fingers crossed!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 04:30:19 am
It's not the wires you have to worry about.  It's the Indian rectifier and alternator keeping up you have to worry about.  But it may be fine too.  I just know some people mention a dim headlight with a stock bulb.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 03:28:31 pm
Oh OK thanks! Ordered the bulb last night so fingers crossed there won't be any issues.  I'll be sure to post if there are....

Thanks again!
Chuck

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 01:52:54 pm
I installed the bulb and took it for a ride last night... I think I may have my wires switched because it seems the 'low beam' is much brighter and higher than the high beam (which looks dim, yellow, and uselessly underpowered).  The useful setting on the bulb is great though, and projects much farther than the stock bulb, and from what I remember it's brighter than the Mindra sealed 7" as well. 

When parked at a light with the bike running, my ammeter would twitch back and forth from centered to just-slightly-negative (from the bulb's load I imagine).  When riding, the ammeter was dead center and wouldn't budge right or left.  I imagine this could lead to a decrease in battery charge over time.  Fingers crossed it'll start up next time I want to ride (it's kick-only, so not much power is needed.  I can also switch the headlight to Off when starting it up to preserve power.

Chuck

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 01:19:02 pm
My amp meter on my IB flicked at idle and stayed basicslly in the middle with all lights on, slightly charge with headlamp off, remember if 60-70watts out of a 100w system, 21w brakelights and other running lights, very near full load.
I believe a heavy duty alternator is avalible.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 02:48:12 am
The alternator on the 500 AVL is very different from the classic Bullet engines, so far as I know no upgrades are available. The normal Lucas copy or beefed-up versions won't fit the 500 AVL crankshaft or chaincase.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 04:52:02 am
I wonder if the alternator that's on the UCE will fit an AVL?

If I was designing the UCE and we already had designs for the AVL alternator, that would be my choice for my design.

Any time a production part that will do the job exists, using it for a new design saves design, development, material procurement and tooling costs.

That may be a good question to ask the folks at NFieldGear and Classic Motor Works.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary