Author Topic: New Chain for C5 2011  (Read 5547 times)

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
on: April 07, 2015, 12:11:14 am
 8) I just might hold the record for possibly the longest use of the OEM chain on my C5. It's got 12006 miles on it and I have a few more clicks remaining on my OEM chain adjusters, I'm thinking I will probably get another 1500 or so miles on the Chain.
In the meanwhile I'm looking to buy a new Chain and have it on Hand, any suggestions will be appreciated along with any removal/Installation tips. 
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 12:49:45 am
hi mark
I'd think about buy the tsubaki 530 "0" ring chain in 102 link -I think. others will pitch in on the length. I always but the one with the split pin link as its easier to join up the chain
I've had a few of these and have found them to be very good. no cheap but once you make the first adjustment you can ride it for quite some time before you need to do it again

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 01:42:28 am
If I had a new replacement chain on  hand, I wouldn't wait a day to get it installed.  Trying to get a few extra miles out of the old chain is, IMO, just plain foolish.  In those few extra miles that old chain could trash your rear sprocket.

When changing your chain, don't pull it out of the engine case until you have attached the new chain to the end of the old chain.
Then, the old chain will pull it over the drive sprocket easy-peasy.

If you had first pulled the old chain completely off of the engine sprocket you will have a hell of a time trying to fish the new chain in.

After it is installed and adjusted to the factory setting, lubricate it and ride.
After about 300-500 miles, check the looseness to see if it needs adjusting.  It probably will. 
After this adjustment it probably won't need another one for 5000-7000 miles and if you kept it lubricated it might not even need one then.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 04:45:08 am
That must be a record on the OEM chain. I agree with Arizoni, that it is better to change the chain now before it causes damage. 

On my G5 I have a non-o-ring Japanese DID 530 (50) chain cut to 102 links. I believe C5 takes 102 links. Absolutely fantastic quality. It is the preferred brand used by Honda motorcycles. It has done over 25,000 miles.

DID makes many kinds of chains with / without o/x-rings for street, dirt and sports bikes and high tensile strength chains. Have a look at their products. I don't remember if the master link clip was included in the box or not. May want to check that when you order. The chain comes as 110 link long in the box, which needs to be cut to desired length.

PS - Removal AND installation are done together in one step - not separately - since the old chain is hooked to the new one. Pulling the old one out installs the new one at the same time  :)

PPS - The master link clip open-end should face towards the rear, when it is on the top rung.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 05:36:52 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Mandar_C500

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 07:58:16 am
8) I just might hold the record for possibly the longest use of the OEM chain on my C5. It's got 12006 miles on it and I have a few more clicks remaining on my OEM chain adjusters, I'm thinking I will probably get another 1500 or so miles on the Chain.
In the meanwhile I'm looking to buy a new Chain and have it on Hand, any suggestions will be appreciated along with any removal/Installation tips.
Isn't is advisable to replace chain and sprocket together rather than only chain?
The sprocket teeth must have taken a beating in 12K miles which may kill the new chain prematurely.

P.S. I have replaced the OEM chain sprocket set at 31K km(19K miles).

Regards
Mandar   

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 11:42:50 am
I agree with everything Arizoni and Singhg5 said, except I'd like to add that since they both ride G5 models, which has different-shaped engine side covers than the C5 and B5 models, they wouldn't necessarily know that on these models it's actually quite easy to feed a new chain over the drive sprocket on its own.

When I was sorting out a chain problem, I removed and installed the chain this way many times in succession.  So, on your C5, it is helpful to use the old chain to pull the new one through, but don't worry about it if you forget, or if the old chain slips from the engine, or if you want to try to clean out the drive sprocket area before the new installation.

Elliotthd

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 02:56:35 pm
I'm a huge advocate of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" so I say if the chain is still within tolerance and it's been maintained, use it until it needs to be replaced.

Also @Mandar_C500, same thing goes for either the drive or the rear sprocket. If the teeth are good and there isn't any sign of wear or gouging, it's a needless expense and repair to replace the sprocket simply because you replaced the chain. In fact, sprockets are easily refaced if they start to become worn, and you can get away with refacing them at least once, sometimes twice depending on how badly they were worn prior to being repaired.

But lastly, and the most important part is, it's your motorcycle and you should do what makes you feel the most comfortable and safe. If something goes terribly wrong with my bike, I have another one sitting next to it to hop on and go. I tend to not worry as much about failure on my ride because I have options when something does go wrong.
2013 RE C5 Classic,
2005 Honda Shadow Aero 936,
1978 CB750 Hardtail JockeyBob,
1978 Yamaha XS750 Bobber (was a Cafe)

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 07:44:42 pm
I fitted a D.I.D. 530 NZ (heavy duty)chain to my B5 I had no chain in place as the previous chain had snapped at 50mph I found it fiddly but easy to thread the new chain over the front sprocket, but it is much easier attaching a new chain to the old and pulling it through.
My B5 has an 18tooth front sprocket which gives a little more width for the wider chain. so far the DID chain has been faultless......
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 10:50:49 pm
Just a. Quick. Question?
Will this chain work ?
http://www.amazon.com/D-I-D-Super-O-Ring-Length-Chain/dp/B000GZFS4C
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 10:54:12 pm
I've always. maintained  and lubricated the chain!
Here is what the sprocket looks like.  :)
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 11:05:06 pm
Just a. Quick. Question?
Will this chain work ?
http://www.amazon.com/D-I-D-Super-O-Ring-Length-Chain/dp/B000GZFS4C

Why not buy a 102-link chain?  It's the "right" size.  That price seems high for a non-o-ring chain...

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 11:19:48 pm
Why not buy a 102-link chain?  It's the "right" size.  That price seems high for a non-o-ring chain...
I don't think they have a 102. I'm not buying the chain from Amazon, my local store has one here ( very very cheap ) just wanted to confirm that  the chain was OK.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 12:31:29 am
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 01:10:15 am
over your side of the pond they virtually give you the chains for free. here a good one will cost you an easy $150

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 03:15:34 pm
There are new X-ring chains available for the C5s now.  Available from our host.  I hear they last a really long time!
2014 Royal Enfield Military-"Thumper" to his friends