Author Topic: Gas brand and octane recommendations for new C5  (Read 6891 times)

TennMan

• Scooter
on: April 05, 2015, 10:31:01 pm
Any feedback on the best brand, i.e. Exxon, BP, Chevron etc. and octane levels to use for my new C5?

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 11:59:04 pm
I use the highest octane I can get.

Candoman

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 12:22:45 am
My 2012 C5 seems content with whatever I put in it. It's not exactly a high output motor and given it's purpose in life as a utility vehicle in India, I doubt it sees high octane often.  But, I'm also sure it won't complain if you pamper it with the good stuff.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 12:52:25 am
High Octane Chevron with Tecron.
Not that much pricewise difference and the Tecron keeps the injectors clean, too.  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

decker

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 01:17:43 am
Chevron with Techron, any grade.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
Honda cx 500 custom - stolen
Honda 450 twin - traded up
Honda 650 nighthawk - blown up
Honda Goldwing 77- restored/ traded up
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy
2013 RE G5 Deluxe- last bike?

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 01:33:53 am
I use the highest octane I can get.

But really there's no advantage in going higher than high enough.   Remember, all the octane rating does is determine the resistance to detonation (and, to some extent, pre-ignition).

If there's no detonation, then whatever grade is in it, is fine.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 03:01:14 am
But really there's no advantage in going higher than high enough.   Remember, all the octane rating does is determine the resistance to detonation (and, to some extent, pre-ignition).

If there's no detonation, then whatever grade is in it, is fine.
Sorry I mentioned it  :-\  I'll just go back to lurking here. Bikes I had in the past, in their manuals, and mechanics I have dealt with, had told me to do so.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 03:05:46 am by NorEaster »

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 04:17:56 am
I don't think it really matters, I prefer non alcohol regular have used ethanol, can't tell any difference.  Never tried premium (yet)
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 06:55:31 am
The higher octane fuel is insurance in case your engine gets extra hot and starts to detonate but there is no reason you have to have it under normal circumstances. If you are heavily loaded, like running a side car, then premium gas is sensible insurance. All manufacturers put extra detergent in their premium gasoline, which can make it worth the extra cash just for the extra cleaning effect. In case you don't already know, all your gas comes from the same sources, the different brands all fill up their tanks from the same refineries which give everybody the exact same gas. The different brands add in their own proprietary additive packages. If you really want the best possible gas, buy your premium from anybody and go with an after market fuel additive detergent/lubricant like Redline, Amsoil, or FPPLUS.
Rocket

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 11:02:13 am
Sorry I mentioned it  :-\  I'll just go back to lurking here. Bikes I had in the past, in their manuals, and mechanics I have dealt with, had told me to do so.

What?  I don't understand?  Why do you want to go back to lurking?  Because I added something to what you said?  For goodness' sake!  How on earth can people have conversations without commenting on each other's posts?

My opinion re. fuel is exactly the same as crock's, so I won't repeat what he said as he put it perfectly.

Honestly, mate, please don't lurk just because I commented on your post!  We need everyone's input - it's all valuable.  But of course you must be prepared for others to comment on what you've written, either agreeing, disagreeing, or building upon it.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 12:06:29 pm
Mine seems happiest with non-ethanol fuel, which I can only get locally in a premium formulation, so that's what I tend to go for. I don't think it's likely all that critical, either way, but others who have ridden my bike a fair bit found the same.
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 01:59:58 pm
This is not a recommendation, just simply what I use in my C5...

87 octane containing 10% ethanol.  I have observed no performance issues.
1972 Honda CB350 twin - sold
1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - sold
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2013 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 02:45:50 pm
Mine seems happiest with non-ethanol fuel, which I can only get locally in a premium formulation, so that's what I tend to go for. I don't think it's likely all that critical, either way, but others who have ridden my bike a fair bit found the same.

+1 non-ethanol - This is all I try to run as the new ethanol fuels can cause problems discussed on other threads.  It can be hard to find - typically found in industrial portions of cities. 
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 05:27:41 pm
What?  I don't understand?  Why do you want to go back to lurking?  Because I added something to what you said?  For goodness' sake!  How on earth can people have conversations without commenting on each other's posts?

My opinion re. fuel is exactly the same as crock's, so I won't repeat what he said as he put it perfectly.

Honestly, mate, please don't lurk just because I commented on your post!  We need everyone's input - it's all valuable.  But of course you must be prepared for others to comment on what you've written, either agreeing, disagreeing, or building upon it.
No worries... I just ride them, I don't dissect them. I'm not going to school to be a mechanic or engineer, nor am I a retired one.
I was just going by what I have read and have been told and I should know better than to attempt to post any answers to anything technical on this forum. There are too many here with more mechanical background than I.
There is no source for "real gasoline" in my area. Every gas station is selling something with ethanol in it. I use either 93 or 94 octane because of what it says in the manual.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 05:48:04 pm
I have had my 2010 G5 Deluxe about 3 years & have consistently used whatever gas ( QT, RACETRACK etc.) I use in my Ural, Car & Lawn mower; However I ALWAYS add the correct amount of STABIL MARINE FORMULA to my gas can before I fill it, to counteract any ETHENOL effects. My gas doesn't spoil, I get fast starts & excellent running in my Injected & Carbureted engines URAL, ENFIELD, TORO.  My cars drink Ethanol gas straight up (unless I use STABIL to store them).  Not an issue for me.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 06:41:07 pm
There is no source for "real gasoline" in my area. Every gas station is selling something with ethanol in it. I use either 93 or 94 octane because of what it says in the manual.

I'm not sure how much ethanol gets put into the gasoline here in the UK.  The lowest octane fuel we have is 95 RON, which gives a lot of headroom over the 91 recommended in the manual.  That's why I'm thinking of increasing the compression ratio at some time in the future.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 09:05:41 pm
Uk is still mostly 5% in UK even though powers that be want 10% most oil companies are resisting the move for as long as possible.
I use the 95 octane (standard unleaded) put every 3rd or 4th tankfull the bike gets a 98 octane injection (super unleaded).
Ive done this with all my vehicles since leaded petrol was removed from sale in the UK many years ago.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 10:52:29 pm
I use either 93 or 94 octane because of what it says in the manual.

I think the manual uses the Euro specs for octane ratings.  We use a different system here in the States.  87 US is about equal to 91 Euro I think.  So 87 is within spec in the States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating#Difference_between_RON.2C_MON.2C_and_AKI
"Because of the 8 to 12 octane number difference between RON and MON noted above, the AKI shown in Canada and the United States is 4 to 6 octane numbers lower than elsewhere in the world for the same fuel. "

One of the many charming quirks in the owner's manual :)

Scott

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
  • That goes where? Mooresville, NC
Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 01:49:30 am
I run non-ethanol in my bikes and lawn equipment unless it's not available out and about  ;)
"Pardon me...do you have hot sauce for this?"

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 11:04:58 pm
First I recommend ethanol free, if you can get it. I can't, other than $9 a gallon 100 octane race gas. I usually use 91 octane (premium) I can tell a slight reduction in pinging under heavy load, like climbing a hill. It also seems to run just a bit cooler, but I have no evidence to back that up yet. The EFI seems to be set too lean (which is why it's there) and it is REALLY hot here. I run the rest of my bikes on the rich side to help guard against the 120 degree desert heat we have here.

Just be sure IF you decide to use 91 octane that you actually get it. Many stations use the same hose for all 3 grades, and when putting gas in a motorcycle, you get about half a tank full of what ever the previous customer got. I get it only from stations that use separate hoses for each grade. I will often get two 5 gallon jugs of it, and fill the Enfield up at home. It usually only gets ridden for short trips of 200 miles or less, so I can make it back home without running out of gas.

I also use Seafoam. I put a double dose in every tank full of gas.

Now, is all this really necessary? $12 a qt. motorcycle specific synthetic oil, changed more often than the book recommends? Premium gas with Seafoam. Probably not. In fact the Enfield is the only bike I do this with. And considering I only put 5800 miles on it in the past 13 months (and it will be sitting for the next 3) it really isn't THAT much more money, when you consider it is a hobby.  Your typical Honda doesn't deserve (or need) any of this. But I still consider the Enfield to be a vintage bike, and treat it like one
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: April 08, 2015, 11:13:13 pm
suitcasejefferson commented...
"it is REALLY hot here"
"120 degree desert heat we have here"

It's 120 degrees in Arizona right now?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 11:15:17 pm by Catbird »
1972 Honda CB350 twin - sold
1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - sold
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2013 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 01:43:24 am
That depends on what part of Arizona your asking about.

I just spent the weekend up in the mountains in Flagstaff and the temperature was 30*F - 60*F.  That's at 7000+ feet elevation.
In Phoenix right now it is ranging from 60*F to 85*F.

By the middle of June in the lower deserts where Phoenix is located it will be in the low 90's to 115*F with some days reaching highs of 119-120.
Once, a few years ago it hit 122*F around 4:00 o'clock.  That was a weird day.
I worked adjacent to Sky Harbor, the Phoenix airport and not a plane was landing or taking off.  It seems the FAA doesn't certify aircraft to that temperature so it was against the law to fly.
I was riding my BMW then and the ride home that afternoon felt like I was standing in front of a blast furnace.  My skin was actually stinging and riding faster just made it feel worse. :(

Actually, IMO, temperatures up to 115*F are tolerable for motorcycle riding thru June.  The humidity is very low, around 10-15 %  and some perspiration will do a fair job of keeping you cool.
July and August are something else.  The temperature drops about 5 degrees but the humidity goes up enough to keep the perspiration from doing very much.  That's the really crappy time of the year and it can last thru September.

As for riding my RE in these temperatures, I've never had a problem with the engine showing any signs of overheating, even in stop and go traffic.
I will admit that I usually keep my riding during this period to morning rides but occasionally I have ridden in the afternoon when it is actually this hot..
Even in August the mornings don't get much above 100 degrees so it's tolerable.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary