Author Topic: Pictures of the new twin prototype  (Read 14898 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: September 02, 2015, 10:23:06 pm
I recall seeing those Panther ads in the back of Cycle World during the 1960's. They were shipped to you in a crate and it was all up to you after that.  Sort of like Sears Roebuck motorcycles without the easy access to replacement parts.  But I never had the guts to take a chance on the Panther and instead stayed with various Japanese brands until l bought my 1971 Triumph.  After that episode and a previous short fling with Garelli, I went back to Japanese.  I might add that it seemed to take a long time to sell off Panther's inventory. I seem to recall that those Panther ads ran for years. ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
Reply #61 on: September 03, 2015, 12:32:08 am
Actually, I do like the Panther. i had a chance to buy one in the '60s when they were selling off the 650 for, I think it was, $695. It was years later before I actually got to see and ride one, circa 1982. I was surprised how smooth it was, at least at the RPM I was riding it. It had incredible torque. It certainly didn't have any claims to being fast, but it as much like a Bullet, but with much more torque. It was quite small with about a 28" seat height, 54" wheelbase and weighed 385 lbs. Torque peak was at 3500 and I'd guess about 30 lb/ft of torque.
Bare

I have read they were the bike for sidecar work in the day.

Steve
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: October 05, 2015, 05:46:33 pm
Now THIS is a nicely done twin motor. Wouldnt ya agree?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #63 on: October 05, 2015, 07:21:53 pm
IMO, it's a nice "art form" but I much prefer the original old style Musket that engine was made for.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #64 on: October 05, 2015, 07:38:57 pm
BTW, I heard thru the grapevine that Aniket got an email from RE, stating that they have no plans to use the Musket engine design in any of their bikes.
 :(
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: October 05, 2015, 07:40:18 pm
IMO, it's a nice "art form" but I much prefer the original old style Musket that engine was made for.
I think I'd like it a lot more if it didn't have car tires on it.
 :o

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: October 05, 2015, 09:39:00 pm
BTW, I heard thru the grapevine that Aniket got an email from RE, stating that they have no plans to use the Musket engine design in any of their bikes.

If the leaked prototype pics are any clue, they probably dont have a V-twin in mind. I think they did try a carberry twin some years ago. One was potted in Chennai and Mr. Carberry himself confirmed sending them one of his bikes.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: October 05, 2015, 09:40:53 pm
If the leaked prototype pics are any clue, they probably dont have a V-twin in mind. I think they did try a carberry twin some years ago. One was potted in Chennai and Mr. Carberry himself confirmed sending them one of his bikes.
They rejected the Carberry too. Not too long after that, Carberry folded.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #68 on: October 06, 2015, 05:01:04 pm
Hopefully the USA might have a few more takers for a RE-based vee twin than Australia, regardless of whatever RE India thinks. It deserves to be a commercial as well as a technical success.

I'm not a fan of whatever style that custom bike is, except that it does show the engine off nicely. I have seen a mock-up photo of a Musket engine in a featherbed frame, which looked superb. Come on, somebody please build one for real!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: October 06, 2015, 07:25:48 pm
Hopefully the USA might have a few more takers for a RE-based vee twin than Australia, regardless of whatever RE India thinks. It deserves to be a commercial as well as a technical success.

I'm not a fan of whatever style that custom bike is, except that it does show the engine off nicely. I have seen a mock-up photo of a Musket engine in a featherbed frame, which looked superb. Come on, somebody please build one for real!

A.
Chumma and Billy(our featherbed frame builder) are going to build up a featherbed Musket for Chumma, with a Double Fireball power package on it. Probably next year. They are tied up with other work at the moment.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #70 on: October 09, 2015, 02:08:36 am
Is that a double GP Fireball? At least they'll have time to think about some non-RE braking up front, perhaps a 4LS Grimeca/Fontana, or maybe something with Brembo written on it!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: October 09, 2015, 10:21:58 pm
Is that a double GP Fireball? At least they'll have time to think about some non-RE braking up front, perhaps a 4LS Grimeca/Fontana, or maybe something with Brembo written on it!

A.
Adrian,
The last we discussed it, he said he wants to use a pair of regular Fireball heads on the V-Twin, and use the GP head on his single Fireball.

The V-Twin with a pair of GP heads might be getting into a high stress area with the drive line, and I don't think he wanted to get too involved with that. The power with a pair of regular Fireball heads is much more manageable for the drive line.

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #72 on: October 16, 2015, 09:56:54 pm
this is getting exciting.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.