Author Topic: Oil level  (Read 2735 times)

1thump

• Scooter
on: April 01, 2015, 07:35:04 am
So i've put only about 300kms or so on the bike and went for a ride today, just a short one as it was a little cold, maybe 20-30 minutes. Came home parked in the garage on the center stand and looked at oil window and nothing is showing. Took it off the center stand stood beside and if I put it ever so gently to the right side it I start to see the oil level rise. Im pretty sure my garage is level or at least very close to it. I know theres oil in the bike and theres no fear in running dry but lets say I fill it some more so its at half way up the window and by chance my garage is not level, is there any harm that can happen to the bike. I mean how overfilled could that be really? Also what oil do you guys suggest as my first oil change will be coming up really soon. Does anyone know what brand comes stock?
'14 Continental GT
'15 KTM RC390
'09 CRF230L

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 08:43:38 am
I had the same experience with the oil level. It doesn't take much oil to bring it up to half way up the sight glass.

The handbook states 15/50 semi-synthetic oil, but my dealer put full synthetic which seems to be the norm for most owners.

Hope you're enjoying breaking in the bike - it will keep getting better as the miles increase  8)

John

Jellyroll

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 01:59:36 pm
Since the bike only holds a little over 2 quarts, most of it is all over the engine. After the ride, put it on the centerstand and give it 20-30 minutes, or till the valve cover is cool enough to keep your hand on it...check your level, then rotate the bike around 180 degrees(facing the opposite direction) and check your level again. Then you can split the difference for a pretty accurate reading.
After you've drained the crankcase, tilt the bike to the right, and you'll see more oil come out(keep the pan under it!). There is a 'lip' inside on the clutch side that prevents all of it from coming out, and then you'll have a drained case. It's not much, but more than you'd think :)
You Are
What You Do
When It Counts

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 06:35:46 pm
You may want to check that the center stand is level. My C5 leans slightly to the left, away from the sight glass.
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.

1thump

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 10:07:16 pm
thanks all, didnt even think of turning the bike around and checking it again to see if its level.
'14 Continental GT
'15 KTM RC390
'09 CRF230L

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 12:02:08 am
Before deciding to add oil, it's real important to follow the instructions about checking the oil level that come in the motorcycle manual.

Mine says:

1. Place motorcycle on its centre stand on a firm surface.

2. Start the engine, warm up for a few minutes and switch off.

3. The oil level should be at the middle or slightly over the middle level in the oil window in the RH Crank case cover.

4.  Top up with recommended oil if required.

The reason starting the engine is needed is the oil can move into the left hand crank case cover and drain out of the right hand crank case cover with just the slightest tipping of the motorcycle when you dismount after a ride.
The displaced oil may or may not flow back into the right hand case cover on its own after this has happened. 
The sight window being far outboard on the right side makes it very susceptible to false readings caused by this.
By starting the engine and giving it enough time to pump oil up to the upper cylinder area so it can drain back down thru the push rod tunnels, it will refill the right hand case so an accurate oil level reading is shown in the sight window.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary