Author Topic: Pulling the motor  (Read 1333 times)

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 27, 2015, 10:37:07 pm
I have an 06 Iron Barrel 5 speed, and so far have all the nuts and bolts loosened to pull the motor, with the exception of the large (20mm?) bolt that runs under the trans case and through the lower part of the bracket for the center stand. It does not appear to actually go into the trans case, but rather, the case has grooves cast into it that the bolt runs through....
for those that have pulled the motor, how did you guys get past this part?
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 01:23:06 am
You lift the back part of the tranny hooks up and over the long bolts , rotate the front of the engine up and out.
Lift it all out as a unit, with the head and barrel off of the engine case first.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 01:30:15 am
So the big bolt stays in?  I ccould tell  the trans case rests on top of that big bolt, but thought it had to come out - or at lease be loosened- to get the cases and trans out as a single unit
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 10:16:44 am
The ones that you can see when you look under the bike get loosened. The ones that go thru the engine come out. I leave the centerstand in place, and it holds the bike up when the engine is out. Very important to get those triangular tranny mounts off and out of the way. Ther are no bolts thru the bottom of the tranny. The hooks on the tranny rest on those bolts.
Home of the Fireball 535 !