Author Topic: More electrical issues .  (Read 3261 times)

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
on: March 26, 2015, 09:50:32 am
I have had my bike on the charger for two days , the device tells me it's full and the battery shows 13 volts ... But it won't activate the relays . I found that with the small red wire that plugs to the larger wire that runs to the starter solenoid attached the voltage drops  approximately one volt vs having it unplugged . This indicates a load but the ignition is off and the kill switch in the off position also. Checking resistance in this condition( red power wire unplugged ) from the red wire to ground shows infinity resistance , and yet there is still a voltage drop of aprox. One volt . Does this happen on anyone else's bike ?
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 06:20:20 pm
I don't have the diagrams with me today.  Is the rectifier/regulator connected to the battery through that wire ? (the output transistor of the regulator might be leaking)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 06:23:36 pm by gremlin »
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 06:57:16 pm
I don't have the diagrams with me today.  Is the rectifier/regulator connected to the battery through that wire ? (the output transistor of the regulator might be leaking)

Yes, the small red wire connects battery to RR.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 09:52:24 pm
I just replaced the RR as it was allowing to much current through - more than 20 volts .... I think I May have to go over the loom systematically ...no doubt it will be educational . Wishing this bike was carb fueled and had no complex electrical system ...just a simple kick start ...
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 10:18:56 am
I just thought I'd post what I found to be the problem . I took the loom apart looking for shorts - on the g5 the computer is located under the seat with the wires running into the connecter making a hard 90 degree bend over the metal edge of the retaining bracket . The insulation on some of the wires had become abraded through vibration - while there was no direct short circuit it appears that this condition plus a little moisture was enough to drain the battery and cause a voltage drop with the ignition and and kill switch in the off position . Although I couldn't get any heat shrink into the position some careful use of electrical tape seems to have solved the problem . I just hope my battery isn't beyond redemption .

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 03:49:34 am
Glad you found the root cause, and hope your battery is OK.

Is the service loop long enough to provide some relief for that bend?
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 01:40:45 am
Thanks Helogo , the battery was screwed - one cell had shorted ... I had to get a new one  , but the good news is I found a battery supplier who charges wholesale .
 Regarding the loom , I tidied it up and rebound it with tape into a better position - there is enough slack in the wires to avoid contact with metal edges- but I covered the computer bracket edges with a cloth tape that should help I think . I'll replace it every few months I think in case it retains moisture and causes rust ... Anyhow with some careful loom taping these problems can be avoided I think .

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 05:14:15 am
When I first got my (at the time) new 2011, G5, I checked everywhere to see if there were any sharp metal edges close to any of the wiring harness.

I found several and used some short pieces of vinyl tubing, slit down the side to cover these metal edges.
The slit tubing works a lot better at protecting the wiring harness than the black plastic electrical tape the RE factory uses to hold the wiring bundles together.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 10:25:30 pm
That's an excellent idea Arizoni . I think I'll follow suit .Thanks.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 05:33:02 am
After reading your adventure I decided to check out my G5's wiring in that area today.
Everything looked OK on my bike including the flat nylon strap I had installed to replace the rotted black rubber strap that held the computer in place.
(It had rotted sometime in the first two years before I removed the seat for another task.)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary