Author Topic: Excide Battery last 7 years  (Read 3635 times)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
on: March 26, 2015, 02:57:06 am
My Indian made Exide battery has made it to riding season 7. Pays tribute to quality and the battery tender.
I wonder if I'm pushing the limits another year.
Should I start shopping for a new battery?
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

p144

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 10:49:47 am
Either fix parts on your time schedule, or fix it on the part's time schedule....

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 03:05:42 pm
Congrats on getting your money's worth. I agree with the advice on scheduling. Today's AGM batts are incredibly durable.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 11:11:38 pm
That HAS to be some kind of record.  That said, I'd replace it with a AGM as soon as practical because it can't last much longer.
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 10:48:45 pm
     Average motorcycle battery life is in the 2 to 3 year range. The vibration levels on a bike are real bad for batteries.
     In the mid 1990's Yuasa held a contest to find their oldest battery still in service. They found some guy on a farm with a 1963 CT200 (step-through 90cc predecessor to the CT90). It had the original battery 33 years later, still working. They traded him a new one for it.
     Seven years is kinda pushing it. I'd get a new one.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 03:48:03 am
I'd just like to say .... I'm ain't convinced these new motobatt sealed gel units are any good ....I've got two dead ones less then a year old . Yes , they have been run flat and possibly spiked with 20 volts but still ... Never had any trouble with my old lead acid unit . Have heard similar opinions from a couple of other riders out there in roadside land ...  So it's back to the old form for me .
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

flyboy

• Bulleteer
  • Keepin the shiney side up
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 05:10:29 pm
+1+1 on the AGM sealed battery. Can't beat them for the price. Mine was $34 at Pepboys. Bought the smallest they had for my '99 kickstart and it fit in the tool box...and that was 4 yrs ago.

Eventhough you made it to the beginning of the season, I don't think it'll last. I'm sure it's fine just off the tender, but let it sit a week or so in a few months and see what happens...unless you constantly keep on tender?

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 08:19:16 pm
7 years impressive. I got 12 years from the factory supplied battery in my Suzuki dr250 but that is kickstart only and vibrates a lot less than an Enfield. You win  :D
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 09:56:55 pm
A battery tender makes a huge difference if you don't ride frequently.  It pays for itself and then for the battery, so to speak.
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 08:21:29 pm
My wife's Biz 100 is still running the original battery that came in it back in '05.  10 years and counting. It's a sealed battery of some sort, don't rightly know what it is since it's up under the fairing and it's never given problems so haven't dug around to see what it is.  If it works - why bother it?  Just changed out the Yuasa in my XL200, it's only two or three years old, replaced it with a Sigma (I THINK that's the brand) sealed battery.  We'll see how it goes.
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 05:10:37 pm
I got scared of 7 year old battery. Went to Battery Plus. Had it checked. They claim the old Exide battery had 170 amps left out of a possible 220 amps. A workable battery.
I purchased a new one anyway.

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 05:36:24 pm
Probably a good idea. :)  We'll be parking my wife's bike for about four months while we travel and work up north.  I'll disconnect the battery, drain the gas, etc.  I'll hook it up to the battery charger when we get back and see what happens.  Last time (three years ago - only three months that time) after charging on low overnight, it fired right up with fresh gas and oil. Since it's a very low tech bike, I'm not too worried about it.  If it doesn't take a charge then we'll replace it.  It still fires up on first kick when cold (when I start it) or first push of the starter button (when my wife fires it up). It's been a good little bike.  So far we've changed oil by date, not by use.  It's her run to work and back scooter and occasional grocery getter.  It's funny how one battery might last a decade or more while another "identical" one will kick the bucket in a couple years (or even less).
Paul

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 07:14:08 pm
One of the reasons for this thread , I got tired of reading how terrible the Exide battery was.

I always plugged into a battery tender . Yearly removed the battery to clean and top up with tap water . ( no I didn't purchase distilled ) .
I clean and top up all my batteries .They all last a long time.
I also have a Sears Diehard( truck/ute) battery that is 15 years old . Never let a battery losely flop around.
I speculate most battery problems are self induced from abuse and neglete.

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 07:27:05 pm
Two things come into play (to simplify) - abuse/neglect (same thing, really) and poor quality.  Down here in Coffee Country they simply don't commercialize batteries with over a 2 year warranty.  And one can expect the battery to last probably about three months past the date. :)  BUT, with proper maintenance, sometimes they last even longer.  Fasten them down well, keep your charging system in order and they may very well last much longer than the warranty.  So far, my experience with bike batteries of the traditional type has been that they'll last two to four years. Yuasa was about the only brand around, but there is now some competition from others.  Keeping the battery from going dry is very important.  I'm impressed you did that well with tap water.  Must have fairly soft water in your area.
Paul

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 11:51:39 pm
One of the reasons for this thread , I got tired of reading how terrible the Exide battery was.

I always plugged into a battery tender . Yearly removed the battery to clean and top up with tap water . ( no I didn't purchase distilled ) .
I clean and top up all my batteries .They all last a long time.
I also have a Sears Diehard( truck/ute) battery that is 15 years old . Never let a battery losely flop around.
I speculate most battery problems are self induced from abuse and neglete.
+1. .
I've learned that no matter which battery you use, at lease here in the USA, the ones that last me the longest is the ones I fill up with distilled water, and have been on the battery tender, so far my Current battery is 3 + years old and going strong, I learned that from a member on this forum...you know who you are...
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011