Author Topic: UCE Continental GT and Crusader styling?  (Read 9865 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
on: August 07, 2008, 02:32:03 pm
I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here.

I think that with the new unit construction design that is coming to the future of Royal Enfield, that they should capitalize on the hearkening-back to the earlier unit construction roots in the Royal Enfield line.
These would obviously be the Continental GT and Crusader 250 models, both UCE construction, and both highly popular models with good style and collectible to this day.

I think that an especially well-done replica of the Continental GT with the new UCE engine would be a perfect execution for the new powerplant and it's style.
I mean done "to the 9's". Like, really hot.

I'd also be super-enthusiastic about a variant which used the GP5 bodywork. I think that would be so cool that I'd have to buy one.

And for the cruiser and standard bike contingent among us, the Crusader was a stately English model that offered classic British style and grace in the smaller platform that could look very "at home" with the new UCE powerplant in it.

This is the direction that I think the styling should go with these new bikes.
I realize that I have no say in the decision, but it only makes sense to me to work the new concept into earlier models which already used that UCE concept, and were successful.

Royal Enfield has such a rich history of various models and designs, that it only makes sense to work around what is there to choose from. Anybody can make a Harley cruiser looking thing. We have heritage to draw from.

My 2 cents.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 02:38:23 am
i'm gonna have to disagree. as nice as the cafe racer look of the Continental or Crusader is, i would much rather the workhorse look of the Bullet or Model G. the Cafe Racer stylings really don't fit me too well and if they did that, i can't say i would be too keen on buying one, though thats why they have the bike kits. a Continental UCE kit would be quite excellent i think.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 03:04:54 am
Don't you like this Crusader? I think it looks quite stately and substantial.

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 04:32:30 am
hmmm, i guess i only saw the Crusader Sport. this design would be quite acceptable however. no matter what though, i hope the new engine is complemented by the old look.

by the way, what year is that Crusader?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 01:47:59 pm
That's a 1956 Crusader 250 in that photo.

The reasoning I have for my comments about using the new UCE in the Crusader or Continental theme is that they were at least originally UCE engined bikes. So it's not so much of a stretch.

Jon

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 07:29:09 pm
Suggested this in a previous post I'd go for the Continental ( not the GT ) the one
with the seperate H/L and clip ons like the GT but with that lovely blue and chrome
jelly-mould tank and of course the black and white chequered tape round the fork
stanchions,a nicely swept back pipe and a Goldie silencer.Just right for tearing
up the local bypass and terrorising small seaside towns!

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 06:16:18 pm
I'd like to see something in the interceptor style. Chrome tank and fenders, upswept cone end exhaust, dual seat with the flip at the back. Just love that bike
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 10:35:56 pm
Love the Interceptor!

Ya know, that tank and seat will go onto a Bullet, with just a little bit of tweaking.

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 03:30:56 am
The standard Interceptor tank is actually kind of small (only 2.5 gallons I think). I always thought I would just use a stock bullet tank and have it chromed (expensive I know, but if you're going to dream, what the heck).
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 04:05:10 am
Yep, that would be nice all right!

In my dreams, I'd like to have a mint Rickman Interceptor!

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 01:24:14 am
I too have toyed with the idea of caffeinating my bullet, they look soooo right. But heres the rub, "It's not 1955 anymore". They "were" actual racers back in the "Pre light emitting diode days". But now it can't run with the 250's. Too much of a poser for me. Everyone, including myself would think it was fast...Anyway  I'll keep it the unassuming, gentleman's motorbike. Seems to fit.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Jon

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 08:55:49 pm
The 350's imported into the UK in the 1970's had detachable chrome side panels
for the tank I have a picture of mine somewhere they looked pretty neat. I think
some of the twins, possibly the Meteor and the 500 used something similar.

A friend of mine raced an Interceptor in a Reynolds frame.Some of the parts
might have come out of the backdoor at the Bradford-on-Avon underground
factory as he always claimed that the bottom end of the motor was from the
prototype series 3 800cc Interceptor.