Author Topic: My new Electra  (Read 1706 times)

Tassos

• Scooter
on: August 07, 2008, 12:10:33 pm
Hello everybody, I'm really glad that I found this forum of fellow enthusiasts with a bit more experience than I have.

Until a few months ago I had nothing to do with motorcycles, but living in a big city and due to the rise of petrol prices I decided to own a motorcycle, I got my licence and I feel quite confident. Then I started looking for a motorcycle. I browsed motorcycle shops for a couple of weeks, but nothing got me really excited.

Finally last week, I spotted an Enfield Electra 500cc. I was in love with it from the first moment I lay my eyes on it.

Yesterday I paid a deposit and I will get it home in a couple of weeks, after I return from holidays. Still there are a few issues that concern me.

1). I haven't got any mechanical knowledge whatsoever, I'm willing to learn but still the whole prospect seems a bit daunting. I really don't know where to start.

2). Will my RE leave me by the side of the road often? I know that the Electra is much more rider-friendly, than the old Enfields but still...

3). I bought my RE slightly used, it still has a year warranty and has 2500 miles on the counter. I don't know if it's broken-in correctly.

4.) I live in Athens, Greece. The Service/import of all enfields is done by and old dodgy guy how looks at you and only sees money to be made. Fortunately I have a good mechanic who can get all the spare parts from the dodgy guy. Unfortunately that will forfeit my warranty.

Please do not tell my to go and buy a jap thing, I hate them! I want to learn and enjoy my new Enfield.

PS. I just want to mention for sentimental reasons that I lived for a year in Enfield Town in the outskirts of London. The birthplace of the Enfield. 

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 12:28:30 pm
Welcome Tassos and congratulations on your decision to ride a thumper!

We'll help you with your new experience as best we can.

If you want to look at a laundry list of maintenance items, here is what I do:

http://members.verizon.net/allofusmorrows/RE_maintenance.htm

The one item (which I am aware of) that I have had the dealer do is the adjustment of the timing gears - so it's not included in the maintenance list.

Let us know when you get your bike and post some pix.

Happy holiday,
Matt

shrugger

• Chinese symbols for "Serenity"
  • Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 01:13:15 pm
Trying to read through that seems a bit daunting  :P but it's not really all
that complicated.
Best place to start would be an oil change. Bit messy, but not at all difficult.
Just watch out for the spring under the cap (Please don't ask me how far it'll
shoot out if you forget  ::))
Once you see how easy that is, then move on to the next item.

The AVL isn't anywhere near a maintenance nightmare. With just the minimum
amount of care. It should continue to thump for as long as you do.
2008 Bullet 500 Classic AVL

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 08:44:51 pm
Tassos,

Welcome and be prepared to have an audience each time you stop in any village or town. It will be the bike and not you they are admiring!

If your Electra has 2500 on the counter - I assume that as you are in Greece, that this is Kilometers? Either way, it should be well past running in. I would get your oily friend to do a service on it to make sure that it is where you want it to be maintenance-wise.

How much of the 12 month warranty is there to go? Can't be much surely?

Get the oily one to do all of the work and watch what he does. You will learn fast as there isn't much to do really.

Finally, sorry to pee on your conrflakes but Redditch is the home of the Enfield. ;)

ENJOY!

REgards

TT
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 12:41:30 am
Welcome!

You're going to love your Royal Enfield!
Home of the Fireball 535 !