aboard

Author Topic: Vroom with a rue  (Read 3260 times)

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 21, 2015, 05:47:36 pm
     Since somebody had to break the ice...
A few years back I started a thread: the dealer side of the counter. It's at:
https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,6816.msg75938.htrr
     The name for this thread is from a post by flintweld on page 2.
     While most of the subject matter is still relevant, I thought it would be better to start over in the dealer's section.
     Anybody up for a round of question and answer?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:22:49 pm by Vince »

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 02:50:24 pm
Apparently not Vince. ;D :P

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 12:52:32 pm
Ok, I'll start. I'm currently tearing down the engine of my early 2011 C5 to replace a shattered needle bearing, and possibly install a kick start ( since the case is already open ), and I have two questions. 1: is it absolutely necessary to remove the oil pump to split the case? 2: Should/does the C/B 5 right side cover have an oil seal where the kick shaft exits the cover? The parts book drawing is a bit vague, and the shop manual photos are of a G5, which has different covers.
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 05:03:04 pm
     You don't HAVE to remove the oil pump but... The things you don't remove are often the things you inadvertently break. Also, with massive engine damage such as a shattered bearing, it would be a good idea to disassemble the pump to check for slag or damage.
     The kick starter shaft exits through a plate that is screwed to the case. This plate has a seal in it, but is sealed to the case with a special semi-drying sealant-3-bond #4. The plate is held on by 4 screws. The holes for these screws are not always properly spaced. This puts a side load on the seal and causes it to leak. When installing the plate make sure all the screws line up. If they don't you will have to enlarge or elongate the holes so you can tighten the screws without putting a side load on the seal.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 07:34:17 pm
Ok, I'll start. I'm currently tearing down the engine of my early 2011 C5 to replace a shattered needle bearing, and possibly install a kick start ( since the case is already open ), and I have two questions. 1: is it absolutely necessary to remove the oil pump to split the case? 2: Should/does the C/B 5 right side cover have an oil seal where the kick shaft exits the cover? The parts book drawing is a bit vague, and the shop manual photos are of a G5, which has different covers.

Below is a cut-away picture of transmission gear engaged to kick start gear (taken from another forum) that may be of some help in what you are trying to do. 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 08:19:25 pm
Not too massive, as it turns out. I got the case apart (after removing the oil pump  ;)), and it turns out to be the open end bearing in the sleeve gear. Everything else appears undamaged. Thank you both for the advise.

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 12:28:54 pm
Is there a drastic difference between the Threebond and Permatex Motoseal?

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 12:48:43 pm
     I have not used the Permatex. I have used the 3-bond # 4 since I did my first engine in 1970. It is exactly the same as the Yamabond I used back then. I have had ZERO failures with it. The new designation for it is TB-1194. Retail is $7.95. It is also used on the primary case cover.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield Let the good times roll.
Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 11:25:32 am
Hey Vince,
With RE reorganizing in North America, was wondering if you could share how its going to affect small motorcycle shops,...thoughts on the RE future , etc..
Thanks.
2008 AVL Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA # 84 ( the first time)

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 12:00:17 pm
     Still wrapping my head around it. I will respond to this in depth as soon as I get my thoughts sorted out.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 03:21:54 pm
I hope Royal Enfield doesn't try to make the dealers buy into the "House Of Enfield" with the palaces that H-D did. The overhead on those is killer and a lot of dealers, from what I've been told, depend on clothing sales to survive.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 07:16:18 pm
I hope Royal Enfield doesn't try to make the dealers buy into the "House Of Enfield" with the palaces that H-D did. The overhead on those is killer and a lot of dealers, from what I've been told, depend on clothing sales to survive.

Royal Enfield India has been losing the reputation for building a good motorcycle as well as money in the USA for several years, despite their awesome reputation in the rest of the world. If Kymco can sell almost 20,000 of their scooters of "not nearly Honda quality" in the USA, Royal Enfield should be able to do the same thing. The Enfield, at the very least, is a remarkably sturdy motorcycle, and is economical to operate as well as quite straightforward to repair. Even WITH this seeming ease of repair, the dealer network has not stepped up to the game to keep the reputation of the brand intact. The takeover by Eicher will remedy the problems of name recognition and lackluster sales through well-placed national advertising, boost the reputation of the brand by encouraging dealers to properly represent the bikes and open brand stores to attract a new audience for the bikes and accessories to lead the way. Those dealers with two dusty, three-year-old bikes in the back corner of the shop who refuse to give time and floor space to the bikes WILL probably be dropped. I'm certain that there will be incentive programmes offered by RENA to make being a better dealer attractive, since RENA will be backed by a world class operation now. It's all the better for the brand - and may see prices come down even further as more and more bikes are sold here. there is a LOT of catching up to do .......
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 12:12:15 pm
     Scooterbob is right. It will be better for the brand.   
     My type of operation is passe. I've been with Kevin since 1999. Since then I have seen the change in customers. Most want the shiny big well stocked show room. I have lost sales to people who won't take a small operation seriously. Then as the bikes gather dust, it is easy for a shop owner to lose enthusiasm. It is an ever downward spiral of hopelessness and despair.
     I can only market an Enfield to a very specific subset of aging motorcycle enthusiasts. Most of the younger people who are attracted to the "retro" look  won't put in the time for even minimal maintenance. Then comes the anger. So the dealer needs to take the time to educate the buyer. This can sap the energy of even the most involved dealer.
     If RE comes up with a few more models, including a twin, and revamps the dealer network into something more relevant to modern North America, they may have a winner. I envision success along the order of Triumph.
     The motorcycle industry is very different than when I threw a leg over my first bike in 1969.
     My wife told me that the 1970s called. They want me back.
     But I do live in 2015. I have made accommodations to address the reality of now. I keep one foot firmly planted in the era I'm comfortable in. The other foot is in the now so I can stay in business. The only hope for people who want things as they were is to find a guy like me that understands and caters to their needs. This group will get smaller and smaller until we all die off at about the same time.
     My personal bike is my 1972 Yamaha XS2 650cc. The Enfields are so much like this that I really love them. They suit me. I am very enthusiastic for them. But I've had to go with the realities of today to stay in business. Royal Enfield is doing the same. You guys might consider coming along for the ride. It is different, but still good.

pknopp

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 04:56:45 pm

For the guy needing to make a living this is probably going to be a good thing as long as R.E. takes their time with it.

I'd stop and have a bite at the R.E. cafe at the local dealership (never mind that it's unlikely there will be one near me).

I might even buy a $25 t shirt while there. I wouldn't trade my 2000 on a new one straight up so at least someone would be able to pry $40 out of me.
2000 Dlx