Author Topic: 1K weekend run - Part 1  (Read 2405 times)

StL_Stadtroller

• Bulleteer
on: August 07, 2008, 05:30:40 am
Well, I tried but did not make it all the way out to VMD's at Mid-Ohio.

Friday I set off at about 8AM, loaded with spares, tools, a change of underwear and toothbrush. Like all my long rides before, this one started in the rain.

I left St. Louis on I-64, easily cruising along at 55-60 just until I hit O'Fallon Illinois and picked up US50. First, I stopped by my childhood home to check it out. First time I'd seen it in about 15 years. Things have changed a lot!

Headed east from O'Fallon, the first thing I noticed very quickly is that, since my last road trip on the US highways, they've largely been re-aligned to bypass all the little towns that made them preferable to the interstate! Though they still have speed limits of 55 or 60 at the most, US50 was almost entirely 4-lane divided, and very, very boring. Except for the speed limits and lack of traffic, it may as well just be an interstate

I stopped in in Vincennes Indiana at the George Rogers Clark National Historic Site, got my park stamp, watched the movie, etc. Stopped for a crappy fast food lunch on my way out of town. Got lost because of road construction that left US50 un-marked.

I pressed on along US50 through Indiana, and thankfully for a few short miles it became marginally hilly and twisty.  It was soon over.  By about 6PM local time, I was just West of Cincinnati, and had to make a decision to stop there for the night or, go through the city and head towards Columbus.  I decided that rather than suffer all the stop n go sprawl traffic, I'd take the loop interstate around to US22 and if I didn't see any hotels at the exit, I'd start heading north, maybe stop in Wilmington or something.

Well, I didn't see anything at the exit, so headed up... into largely nothing.  Wilmington had 3-4 hotels... all sold out for some kind of truck convention. I met a half-dozen or so other riders all cruising around looking for a room same as me.

By this time it was getting dark, I was REALLY tired and hungry, and almost 9:30PM...
I decided to head for the interstate and see what hotels might be up there. One Holiday Inn... sold out.

At this point is where I'm really fried and making poor decisions... I jumped on I-71 North, in the dark, doing 60mph... thankfully it was right behind a semi actually doing the speed limit for Semis...  unfortunately it was a livestock truck.
It got me to the next exit about 14 miles away though.. and there were 3 hotels... As I pulled up to #1, I already knew what was happening... cars pulling in and people running out... a guy butted around me as I was walking in while removing my helmet & ear plugs and whatnot... he got a room as someone had just canceled. I got to dash around with several people in cars chasing, trying to beat them to the next hotel... no dice.

Now, I'm really REALLY baked.  Thankfully, my shitty AT&T phone actually WORKS in this part of Ohio... unlike every other part.  I managed to call my wife, who set about calling all the hotels she could find in my immediate area while I went and had a shitty fast food dinner.  30 minutes later, I had a room waiting at the "Amerihost Inn" 4 miles up the interstate at the next exit.

Well, I rode up there.. and didn't see jack-squat except for a Quality Inn and a few bikers riding around trying to find a hotel also. I called my wife and confirmed the name  & exit for the hotel... I'm supposedly in the right place... I ride around finding nothing.

Finally, I decide to go into the Quality Inn and ask if they know where the Amerihost Inn is at. A very indifferent dude says it's back south, 14 miles where I came from... no I say, my wife was given specific directions to THIS exit...
Oh, he says... that's us.
huh?
We're the Amerihost Inn. 
?? WTF?  In a very passive-aggressive tone I told him "That's funny, because the sign outside says Quality Inn"
yeah, we changed a few months ago.
Gee, I was specifically told to come here and look for the AMERIHOST INN....
He didn't seem to care, and the woman next to him (the one my wife talked to on the phone) avoided all eye contact.

I got my crappy smoking room for $120 (A helicopter convention this time I'm told) called the wife to let her know I made it, and fell asleep for a bit with the light, TV, and most of my gear still on.

I'd ridden about 450 miles in one day, and spent 8AM - 11PM in the saddle.

The next day I got up, enjoyed an ice-cold shower since the hot was either out or not working, and got gypped out of the continental breakfast because they were out of waffle batter, and no one seemed to care when I told them. There were also about 30 people trying to butt into the breakfast room big enough for about 5 people, so I went and had an OJ and an energy bar in my shitty room with no hot water.

I did my morning road trip routine.. valve adjustment, check oils, lights, chains, etc. I made sure to get as dirty as possible so they'd have no mistake when cleaning my room that a dirty biker had been there.

From there I set off for Washington Court House (the name of the town, not an actual court house) and continued on to to Columbus, and to the AMA Museum and Hall of Fame.

I had a bit of trouble finding it.. it's not at all what you'd expect... nearly in the middle of a residential neighborhood.
The grounds are beautiful, but honestly I found the exhibits a bit disappointing.  Arlen Ness and racing stuff just isn't really up my alley.

By this time though, it was about 1PM, I still hadn't had lunch, and Mid-Ohio was probably a good 2 hrs ride away via Enfield... and I wanted to get a good head start on my way home tonight too.

After some number crunching, I came to the bitter realization that I just wasn't going to make it up there, and I should really just start heading back towards Dayton and beyond.

Gettin' late here.. I'll continue tomorrow!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 08:04:53 pm by StL_Stadtroller »
Brian Wittling, St. Louis, MO
Her Majesty's Own Royal Enfield Motoring Enthusiast Society
Member Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/brian.wittling

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 06:36:54 pm
I was at the AMA museum in May. It was a beautiful sunny warm day. I stayed in a hotel about 1/2 mile away (did a little homework and reserved a room nearby)

The museum is interesting, and is located on a really pretty parcel of land, but they don't label the exhibits well.

They were just setting up an exhibit with movie and celebrity bikes (like the MV Augusta Will Smith rode in I, Robot). The collection included a Harley that, based on all the stickers, had been ridden around the world, but there was no sign or anything to tell me about the bike.

I was on my way back from a driving vacation to NYC. On the way to NYC from Chicago I did a play-by-ear stop in Ohio and had a similar experience. They seriously need more hotel rooms in that state.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

StL_Stadtroller

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 08:09:16 pm
I was at the AMA museum in May. It was a beautiful sunny warm day. I stayed in a hotel about 1/2 mile away (did a little homework and reserved a room nearby)

The museum is interesting, and is located on a really pretty parcel of land, but they don't label the exhibits well.

They were just setting up an exhibit with movie and celebrity bikes (like the MV Augusta Will Smith rode in I, Robot). The collection included a Harley that, based on all the stickers, had been ridden around the world, but there was no sign or anything to tell me about the bike.

I was on my way back from a driving vacation to NYC. On the way to NYC from Chicago I did a play-by-ear stop in Ohio and had a similar experience. They seriously need more hotel rooms in that state.

+1

they still had the celebrity bikes there... but do I really need to go all way to Ohio to see Tom Cruise's new, stock Triumph scrambler? Or Ton Arnolds new, stock Victory bagger? Or Cher's Harley Sportster that looks like every other Sportster out there? There were a few gems, but only a few..

the Harley with all the stickers and stuff *I think* is the bike that the guy with no legs rode around the world... but yeah, no plaque or anything explaining it when I was there either.

There was a big Arlen Ness exhibit. It was interesting for the spectacle of it, but SO not my thing.  I was more taken by how much LESS impressive they look in person than in pictures...

My advice is to stop there on your way to/from somewhere else if you have the chance.  As a trip destination, you'll be dissapointed.
Brian Wittling, St. Louis, MO
Her Majesty's Own Royal Enfield Motoring Enthusiast Society
Member Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/brian.wittling

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 11:10:38 pm
I didn't think about it when you first posted about going to the show, but Columbus has one of the best pie shops ANYWHERE.

My company has some business in Columbus and I have been there a couple times (my stop in May on my way back from NYC combined business with pleasure).

It's called Just Pies. I can't say enough things about how good their pies are.

The only problem was I was there the Friday before Mother's day and they had been wiped out so I had to settle for a cookie. Very disappointing.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175