Author Topic: Lithum Battery for anyone considering it  (Read 7160 times)

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
on: March 18, 2015, 03:59:31 pm
So, bought the lithium battery from our host the other day and wanted to give some feed back for anyone also looking at it.  Firstly, it is small.  A bunch smaller than the existing battery.  In fact it isn't designed for a specific bike (no surprise I suppose).  Their literature says that it is designed only to be as small and light as possible.  Also, I recommend purchasing the battery cushion with it as well as the company recommends isolating vibration as much as possible.

So, while I haven't installed it yet, I'll post a review once that little chore is done, hopefully today or this weekend.  I will say though, that it recommends not using a general battery tender and honestly you might not have to.  It only loses 10% of its charge per month if nothing is hooked up, so I figure I can unhook it during the winter and put it back on come spring no ill effects.  Though if you are going to have a long break a tender might be good to use.  Though there are some special tender requirements they recommend!
2014 Royal Enfield Military-"Thumper" to his friends

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 01:15:21 pm
Sooo... tried installation last night and discovered a couple neat things.  1: I broke the lead on my negative cable and am working on getting that repaired. 

2: The battery is tiny, really tiny compared to the stock.  Your rubber straps won't cut it, Hitchcocks sells some of different sizes, but I'd recommend just getting a couple heavy duty zip ties and fixing the battery in place with that. 

3: My battery cover is misaligned from the factory.  Not a big deal but I kept wondering why it didn't seem to be seating right.  Put the old battery back in and viola!  discovered that it just doesn't quite line up right.  No big deal but it may explain that buzzing I've never found...  That being said, for all you who have proper battery covers, there shouldn't be anything special you have to do with it.  Just lock it down like normal.  The standard battery doesn't put pressure on the cover so this doesn't need to either.  But, if you want to give a little pressure, you can use packing foam that comes in place with the battery to create a buffer.  Not really needed though.

4: The terminal leads are a different configuration than the stock battery, but you shouldn't have a problem the leads to the battery.  All that said, we'll see how it performs once everything is in place.

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 03:18:46 pm
Would you mind posting a pic of the new battery?
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 04:42:53 pm
I will as soon as I can manage it!  Hopefully get it all together tonight.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 04:53:03 pm
What amp/hour rating is it?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 01:15:50 am
Here is the battery with its temporary install. I'm looking at a 10" strap to get that professional look. As far as an amp/hour rating I have no idea. I will say that the bike started more easily ran more smoothly and even sounded better. Once I get a proper install I'll be quite happy with it.

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 02:13:58 am
I put mine inside of an empty Lucas 6v battery box, and replaced the battery cover and holder with a reproduction, metal battery strap.
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 02:42:56 am
Best of luck with it. I won't buy one because all I have ever heard about them are horror stories, if it is the Shorai lifepo4. Several members on other motorcycle sites and a couple on a motorized bicycle site have been very unhappy with them. The seem to be very fragile. One guy had several hundred dollars worth of them on an electric bicycle, and they crapped out in less than a month. No warranty, he was accused of not charging them properly, despite his claims that he followed their instructions to the letter. I have had sealed AGM batteries, at a fraction of the cost, last for over 5 years on motorcycles and a quad. I do use tenders, specifically the Battery Tender Jr. from Deltran.

I have 5 bikes, and cannot ride them all often enough. The sealed AGM batteries and Battery Tenders have worked extremely well. Now if I could just find a solution to the ethanol gas problem. I use Marine grade Stabil, at about twice the recommended dose, but the gas starts to smell bad after about a month.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 03:39:20 am
The one in Manitoc Fox's photo (as well as the one I have) is from Ballistic Performance. I've had mine for two years, on a daily driver, and it's been flawless so far. YMMV.
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.

TheFatMan

• Scooter
  • The Fat Man's home on the lake
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 08:27:57 pm
I use LiFe batteries in radio controlled airplanes and ham radios for portable use and prefer them for a bunch of reasons over lead acid.  I went to Ballistic Performance's web page to order one and our beloved Enfields are not one of the brands listed in the drop down menu.  Which one fits?
The Fat Man
2010 C5 Military

TheFatMan

• Scooter
  • The Fat Man's home on the lake
Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 10:59:01 pm
Thanks!
 :)

Hierlekin

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 06:29:39 pm
I was actually thinking of doing this to my 2011 C5, thanks for the tips folks!  :)
2011 Royal Enfield C5 (black)

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 06:49:46 pm
I will say that the bike started more easily ran more smoothly and even sounded better.

Hah hah!!  So it's not just a battery, it's gen-u-ine snake oil!   

I'm gonna do a PhD on researching how a lithium battery can improve the crankshaft balance and alter the sound from the exhaust pipe.   :P

:D  (Just teasing!)
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 06:58:16 pm
So go on, then, can someone explain what on earth is the point of fitting a lithium battery to our bikes?

Yes, you might shave a few pounds off the weight.  Anything else?  And were those few pounds REALLY worth all that money?  What's wrong with a good quality AGM battery, which (demonstrably) is well up to the job and lasts a good five years, maybe more?

As far as I know the ONLY benefits of lithium cells are small size and low weight (i.e. high energy density per cubic inch and per pound).  Important in a laptop or a model aircraft, but irrelevant in a motorcycle, surely?

In my experience they have a much shorter life than a decent lead acid battery.  Every product I've owned with a lithium battery shows some loss of capacity after one year, and a serious loss after two.  My posh and super-expensive hybrid computer is only 18 months old but its run time is less than half what it was when new.

So, can someone explain to me why I'm wrong?
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.