Author Topic: one about tappets and cam gears  (Read 6319 times)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 05:11:01 am
Thanks fellas. Maybe I'll have a shot at it.  I watched a vid of an Indian guy doing it on YouTube last night. Seems doable. Adjust so lash is taken up but can be pulled out easily, lifter on down ramp, rocker and pushrods out, right? Can't be any harder than adjusting desmo valves, eh? BTW, is there any chance the GT manual is coming out in a printed copy?
Thanks again
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 09:05:26 am
Funny - the book came out in printed form, and everyone wanted a cheaper digital copy!  Gizzo, the GT manual is the same book as for the other UCE bikes, with some special stuff added for the GT.

Surprised nobody has asked yet... do you have a video or audio recording of the noise?  Sometimes it makes it pretty obvious what's going on to the smart guys here ...

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 10:43:44 am
Yeah, I don't really like electronic books that much. Just not into them and I'd rather pay extra to have a printed copy. Sometimes it's nice to be able to do something without a screen,you know? Probs not much point making a vid of the noise. It would likely be drowned out by the usual noises.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 11:21:58 pm
Somehow, greasy and oily finger prints all over the face of a tablet or smartphone screen doesn't seem to have the character and traditional feel of the dog eared pages in an old fashioned book.

On the other hand, being able to use a pdf "advanced search" on my computer to find all of the information about something in the electronic files is a handy way of figuring out where the Indian's hid the information.

That, and the ability to print out the text and photos at a size that can be read without using a magnifying glass is why I rather like the electronic files.

I can even leave my oily/greasy fingerprints on the printed pages in the interest of old fashioned tradition.  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 06:58:44 am
Visited my local Enfield dealer today to have them listen to the GT. They said it's noisier than the average Enfield but couldn't pin down the source of the rattle. They suggested that seeing it's still under warranty for a year, to just keep riding it and bring it in if it gets worse.
This arvo, I popped off the lifter cover and inlet rocker box (a couple of weeps needed sorting anyway) and found the rocker arm, block and pushrods to be solid. No play there. So that's a good thing. Tried getting the exhaust rocker box off too, but one hex screw is too tight and I feared rounding the hex before it undid. A good job for the workshop.
The oil has 1000km to go, and I'll see if it quietens down with an oil change.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 02:53:27 am
I've decided I'll get the digital download of the service manual but just to be clear, from anyone who has bought it, is it in fact a workshop manual which details the repair of the motorcycle, or is it a service training manual which instructs dealer mechanics on how to service ie: perform standard servicing to RE but not so much a repair manual? Thanks y'all.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 04:01:11 am

This arvo, I popped off the lifter cover and inlet rocker box (a couple of weeps needed sorting anyway) and found the rocker arm, block and pushrods to be solid. No play there. So that's a good thing. Tried getting the exhaust rocker box off too, but one hex screw is too tight and I feared rounding the hex before it undid. A good job for the workshop.
The oil has 1000km to go, and I'll see if it quietens down with an oil change.

Well, if you still have that intake cover off.  I would give that exhaust side another go.  A couple of taps on the head of the bolt with a hammer.  Get a good bite with the Allan wrench and she should snap loose.    Get the motor at TDC on the compression stroke... both valves closed, piston at the top of it's travel and lifter's  on the base circle's of the cams.    The bike in fifth and rotating the back wheel will get ya there.

Initially.... you should feel no play or down ward push into the lifter at the rocker arm/push rod side. Although, you will likely find that you can rotate the push rods between your fingers.  Let everthing sit for about an hour.  Come back and see if you can feel a push down .... it may be slight... into the lifter at the rocker arm/ pushrod side.  A pumped lifter is not unheard of on these motors.....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #22 on: March 14, 2015, 09:46:50 am
I've decided I'll get the digital download of the service manual but just to be clear, from anyone who has bought it, is it in fact a workshop manual which details the repair of the motorcycle, or is it a service training manual which instructs dealer mechanics on how to service ie: perform standard servicing to RE but not so much a repair manual? Thanks y'all.

It is more of a repair manual rather than a maintenance manual.  But it does make some assumptions about the users knowledge, or maybe they're just omissions.  You won't find the true detail and step-by-step instructions of a nice Clymer manual.  And there's some mistakes in there, too, but so too were there in my Clymer BMW manual.

One thing to note - at least on the cd-rom version, the GT manual actually consists of a few documents: you get the UCE manual from the 500 cc Bullet bikes, with addendums covering the GT-specific details.  You will not be told this when you order.  So there will be a bit of stuff in the main book which won't apply to you, and you'll have to wade through that yourself.  But the engine stuff should be pretty much the same, except for the specs on the piston and bore sizes.

The GT addendums are better quality publications, so I ordered the CD, hoping to get better engine instruction as well - I discussed this with those guys when I ordered it - but they didn't tell me that I'd be getting the book I already owned and sent it anyway.  I returned the CD.  I submitted a review to their old site explaining this so future buyers would know, but the review was never posted.  When suggestions were being solicited for their new site, I suggested they mention this in their product description - it isn't there.  I don't know why it's a secret... 

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #23 on: March 14, 2015, 11:46:17 am
Thanks Matt. I'll get the download then.
Cheers .
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 02:12:22 pm
As has been said, the digital editions are searchable PDF's which is GREAT for locating pages and part numbers quickly...

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #25 on: March 14, 2015, 05:06:43 pm
Really good point about the description of the CD. We throw in the other manual because we think the GT manual does not cover it or the EFI very well. Same deal however.

If you think the GT manual is better than the UCE manual you should have seen the 1995- 2005 manuals
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com