Author Topic: Stalls at light  (Read 7609 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 04:04:25 am
If you feel it is a gas issue, perhaps there may be some water in the tank. You could disconnect the fuel line and run some gas into a glass jar to see if water is in there, and drain the tank until no more water is there. Or, you could have old bad gas from sitting over the winter. Try fresh gas.
If there was water or bad gas, you will have to drain the float bowl in the carb again.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 10:56:17 pm
I think I'm at the "wild ass guessing" point now that you've cleaned your tank, petcock and carb.

You say the amp meter is showing a very high + reading when the engine is running above an idle and about 1/4 the way above zero when it's idling?

That sounds like a voltage regulator problem or possibly a low battery voltage problem.
Even with a new battery, if the wiring connections at the batteries terminals are not making good contact, that might cause this.

What I'm thinking is, if the voltage in the system is too high, it might overheat the ignition coil.  The running speed above idle will cause the coil to be energized more often so the likelyhood of it overheating is greater.

On your next test ride, when the engine dies it might be worth the trouble to reach a finger up and place it on the side of the coil. 
If your finger gets burned you might be close to finding out what the problem is.

Like I said, I'm at the guessing stage now. :-\
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 12:04:25 am
I still think it sounds like a gas or carb issue. A thought (another wild ass guess), could the gas cap be blocked?  It's needs to be a venting type; next time it stalls, open the cap and see if there is any negative pressure. Mine did that a couple of times before I figured it out. 
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 12:22:15 am
Good point.
Sometimes something as simple as a plugged up little vent hole can do all sorts of mischief.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 12:59:06 am
Do you notice any loss of power before it stalls?  Or is it running just fine and then stalls at the light?
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Serveta

• Scooter
  • Mods,Rockers and Hooligans...
Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 01:24:04 am
Thanks for the ideas.. Today I let her sit.. I'm gonna take the battery out and have it tested.. If it check out then .. I'll test ride it and will do what you guys suggested .. When it dies I'll check the coil as I have acess to it with the after market tank..and open the cap and ride it and see what it does...

It doesn't lose any power when it dies.. I down shift coming to the light, come to a full stop and it just dies out. Even if you try and turn the throttle as it's die-ing it doesn't help..

I mentioned the amp , as I noticed it.. It's always sat just above zero , unless it gets bouncy movement ..I'll keep a eye in it too..

I appreciate all your guys help !!

flyboy

• Bulleteer
  • Keepin the shiney side up
Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 12:33:05 pm
I'm thinking its definately something electrical. I've had the same problem with mine, did the same trouble shooting as you're going thru and ended up being the battery. What amp battery are you running? If it's boarderline, idling can kill it with headlight on. Can you switch off your headlight??...If so, switch it off at the traffic light and see if it keeps running. My headlamp is an "always on", which I had to rewire to switch off using my kill switch. If I'm riding on business road with lots of lights, I'll still shut off the light and haven't had any problems since.

Serveta

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 10:15:34 pm
Ok so I just test rode it with the fuel cap open, lights off and it died.. Felt the coil and wasn't hot.. So now I'm gonna get the battery checked and check all connections...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 14, 2015, 02:20:45 am
You may want to test the coil for shits and giggles.  When mine went bad it would run fine for 20 minutes and then misfire so bad I couldn't ride anymore.  Cool down, start, and repeat.

Serveta

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 06:07:31 pm
I replaced the coil a few months ago, with a new stock coil...

The battery checked out good yesterday.. Haven't had a chance to start checking the connections..

Serveta

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: March 14, 2015, 11:28:02 pm
Ok... She's fixed , just went on a 15 minute city ride..

I went thru all the connection.. I didn notice the rear brake light sticking on, so I unplugged it for the ride, and just used the front ... So I need to adjust that..

I replaced the stock metal spark plug cap with a NGK water proof 60 degree cap from Honda..@ 5 bucks

Put a inline fuel filter to see if it might of been starving ... And it Wasn't ...

Undid the clutch reply plug, clean and re plugged ..

Running like a champ...

I'd like to thank everyone for thier input.. That's what makes  this a great site.. This isn't the 1st time this site has helped solved my Enfield problem...

Thanks everyone !!!!!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #26 on: March 15, 2015, 02:04:10 pm
Glad you got it fixed!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: March 15, 2015, 03:28:26 pm
Cool!  Always nice to be running again!    :)