Author Topic: Spoke tightening  (Read 2072 times)

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
on: March 05, 2015, 02:06:59 pm
Well, here's a question for y'all.  How often ought I check the tightness on my spokes and how does one go about tightening them without throwing the wheel out of 'true'.  Is this an issue anyone has really messed with or would I just be better off asking my dealer to check this out?
2014 Royal Enfield Military-"Thumper" to his friends

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 06:43:22 pm
Check them at the first service, then it should be a part of any major service. If you just have to tighten spoke or two slightly it won't make enough difference to notice, but it will change how tru the rim is. Spin the wheel with a pointer close to the rim, a wrench screwdriver just anything to gauge with. That should let you know if it needs to be trued. Don't go by the tire, they almost all have a little wobble.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 06:49:35 pm
I used to check them at oil changes.  Just spin the wheel and lightly drag a screwdriver or something along them.  If one is loose you'll hear it.  If it's loose and needs tightening it shouldn't throw the true out since it was loose to start with, but best to check true as you go as mentioned already.

Also, make sure you let ALL the air out of the tire before you tighten any spokes.  If you don't, the nipple inside the wheel can rub against the rim strip and tube and cut a hole.  Taking the air out relieves the pressure against the spoke nipple so this doesn't happen.

Scott

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 07:34:32 pm
The sound test is the normal way for most to check spokes. It's never worked well for me, must be my hearing. I just have to check each nipple. Still it only takes a minute