Author Topic: New UCE's able to cruise at 70mph?  (Read 34870 times)

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 07:40:22 am
The 2014 C5 can take all day riding at 70 mph. I don't think I could handle more than an hour at that rate....
Rocket

trrrroy

• Scooter
Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 09:31:52 am
I'll chime in - it's definitely a sit-up-and-beg position, but I find it very comfortable.  I'm 6'1-plus, thin, all legs and arms.  The only time I wish I had my feet under me a bit is when I feel the need to stand on the pegs while riding to get my weight off the seat - really have to hang on the bars to pull myself up.

If I were going to turn it into a proper scrambler, I'd look into moving my feet back under me a bit...

Wouldn't be too much of a chore I imagine, though I've never really explored it.  Anybody have any experience?

JoeSchmofo

• Scooter
Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 09:40:27 am
I'm 6'2" and even crouched over the bike with the cafe handle bars and stock foot pegs (I had use of the GT Cafe Racer and couldn't get used to the rear sets), I find the bike very comfortable, even on a long journey. It's a great bike and you won't regret buying one, even if you have to cruise at 65....

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: March 05, 2015, 11:17:30 am
Before I bought, I asked our host what the top end 'all day speed' for this bike is.  I was told 65.  I have run this bike at 70 and actually it seems that the vibes drop off there (bad vibes 60-65 ok at 70).  I do only run it at 70 though for maybe 10-15 minutes at a stretch.  I think that if you're looking or an every day 45 min at 70 mph bike this isn't the one for you.  I really am not comfortable with how the bike feels at 70.  Not much power left for going anywhere else.  I can do it, but it isn't much fun.
2014 Royal Enfield Military-"Thumper" to his friends

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #34 on: March 05, 2015, 04:18:01 pm
Hmmm, this wasn't as helpful as I was hoping.  Seems there isn't really a concensus.  I may just play it safe and keep my eye out for an old airhead or cb.

Side note, how capable are enfields off road?  I`ve been looking for a classic scrambler type for some logging road adventures.
For highway work you can't go wrong with a 750 or larger Airhead BMW. A good one can be had reasonably.
  Off road, look at the Royal Enfield UCE scrambler set up. You might have to add your own parts here, but they offer one all ready to ride in Europe. They are super & guaranteed to please. There are pix of them on this forum somewhere.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #35 on: March 05, 2015, 10:10:29 pm
Hmmm, this wasn't as helpful as I was hoping.  Seems there isn't really a concensus.

Sorry we haven't been more helpful.  In truth, the lack of consensus reflects the fact that prolonged 70mph cruising is right on the limit for this bike.  If you'd said 60mph you would have had a 100% "Yes, all day" answer, and if you'd asked about 80mph cruising, you'd have had a 100% "No, forget it" answer.  70mph is an awkward speed to ask about!   :D

You know what?  If you really do need to keep up with 70mph traffic on a highway at commute-time, I'd be tempted - on balance - to give the Enfield a miss.  It's too close to the top end for comfort.

Although a lot of people in India have no choice, I think here in the West it's better to think of the Enfield as a perfect second bike for days when you don't really need to be anywhere in a hurry.  (And also for days when there's NO salt on the roads - all that unprotected chrome and aluminium is very prone to damage by corrosion.)
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 12:18:55 am
  If you'd said 60mph you would have had a 100% "Yes, all day" answer, and if you'd asked about 80mph cruising, you'd have had a 100% "No, forget it" answer.  70mph is an awkward speed to ask about!   :D

70 mph  = YES 33.3% -- NO 33.3% -- May Be/Depends/Undecided/Swing vote/WHY 33.3% :D.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:35:10 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 05:20:38 am
Is there not a formula  / rule of thumb that says cruising speed for long stroke singles should be no more than e.g. 75% of the maximum rpm in top gear?

So if my Electra on the red-line in top gear is doing 83 mph, then 75% of that is 62.25 mph. That would square with the consensus that cruising  between 60 and 65 is not putting undue strain on the engine.

The figure of 75% may be out, but I am pretty sure I have seen this rule of thumb referred to elsewhere in the forum.

Blair

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #38 on: March 06, 2015, 05:45:48 am
Is there not a formula  / rule of thumb that says cruising speed for long stroke singles should be no more than e.g. 75% of the maximum rpm in top gear?

So if my Electra on the red-line in top gear is doing 83 mph, then 75% of that is 62.25 mph. That would square with the consensus that cruising  between 60 and 65 is not putting undue strain on the engine.

The figure of 75% may be out, but I am pretty sure I have seen this rule of thumb referred to elsewhere in the forum.

Blair
Cruising speed of 75% of max is the figure that I have recommended for years.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

caricabasso

• Bulleteer
Reply #39 on: March 06, 2015, 06:11:39 am
Also I think that the ideal cruising speed is 65 mph for UCE.
To increase the cruising speed  and safeguard the motor is good to put a bigger sprocket.
My B5 has now a sprocket with one tooth more, from 17 to 18, and the increase of the set speed at the same rpm is remarkable.
Now traveling at 65 mph with little vibration and engine rested.

jda

• Neophyte
Reply #40 on: March 06, 2015, 09:01:56 am
I think everyone is being a little pessimistic.
Can they cruise at 70 mph? Yes. I believe it was a design criteria, and personally I have made numerous highway journeys at this speed for 1hr plus.
Is it the best motorcycle to do this? Of course not. But it will do it reasonably competently.
Whereas Triumph and Norton had a racing pedigree, RE were developed and proven in off-road events. The bike was built for 1950's British roads, and developed for 1990,s Indian roads. What you are buying therefore is the perfect adventure bike with a bucket load of character thrown in.
The UCE engine is built with modern materials to modern tolerances, and uses modern oils. Whereas the 75% rule might be sensible for a highly stressed engine, 28hp is nothing for a 500cc engine - it is throttled back by design. The constant vibrations at this speed might mean it is worth keeping an eye on those nuts and bolts though. It is also worth bearing in mind that there is not a huge reserve of power at these speeds and ride accordingly e.g. don't commit to overtaking with a hill ahead etc.
So should you buy a RE for high speed highway use only - no. But having bought one (and assuming you cant afford / don't want several motorcycles) it WILL handle this sort of journey if required. And there are simple mods like a free flow exhaust and an extra tooth on the gearbox sprocket which (whilst not transforming the bike) will make higher speed cruising a little more practical.
John

JoeSchmofo

• Scooter
Reply #41 on: March 06, 2015, 01:04:22 pm

(And also for days when there's NO salt on the roads - all that unprotected chrome and aluminium is very prone to damage by corrosion.)
ACF is your friend...although the bike will look filthy for the months that you've got it protected.

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: March 06, 2015, 10:42:29 pm
The bike can handle it. There are plenty of more comfortable choices. I really think it comes down to whether the rider wants to do it on this type of bike.
Rocket

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #43 on: March 07, 2015, 02:23:19 am
I'm happily in the 70+ camp. I run my bike pretty enthusiastically, and she hasn't let me down, save for a few uphill battles. At high speeds, she sticks to the road, and either I got lucky or something, because mine doesn't feel like it's going to shake itself to bits. For what it's worth, I ride a 2012 with about 7,500 on the clock.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #44 on: March 09, 2015, 08:06:23 pm
Just for the heck of it, I decided to give the 2014 C5 a go at 70 mph cruising.....it seems to work just fine. No more vibration than at 60 mph. It seems the only thing that is objectionable would be the same as on any other bike where I am riding upright with full wind blast on my chest. I will have to give this bike a full test at standard interstate speeds for several hours and report back.
Rocket