Author Topic: My Wife Bought me a Military Bullet...  (Read 3009 times)

Porkchop

• Scooter
on: August 06, 2008, 06:54:19 pm
Hello All.
You can call me Porkchop- I've been looking and lurking for a couple months now on this site- dreaming and wishing and hoping that someday I would buy a military Bullet. Well, a couple nights ago my adorable wife surprised me with a purchase- An 07 Military model. Best gift I've ever gotten. I've already put 200+ miles on it and have loved every inch. I've kept it below 50mph (like I said, I've read quite a bit on this site...perhaps every posting) to help break it in. This bike is incredible. My buddy Josh came over last night and we went for a spin around the lakes here in Minneapolis. (pictures in the Photo Gallery 'members rides' section) He rode the bike for a bit and commented on how cool it was and that it really felt like riding a motorcycle. I agree. What great adventures await...
Cheers to all and I'll see you out there.

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 07:13:04 pm
Welcome, and congratulations on your fine choice of a spouse.

Mine was tolerant of my decision to buy mine, but yours actually bought it for you. Very cool.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 01:09:04 am
I went to the photo gallery to look at it.
Very nice!!!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

sqf

• Bulleteer
  • 07' Military-solo seat, elec ignition
Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 01:15:26 am
What took her so long?  My wife bought me my military months ago!   Welcome to the club!
Fir Na Dli

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 01:20:51 am
Nice looking Military Porkchop. And an'07 that was brand new, lucky you.

While I was looking a pics Ace, I took a good look at your cafe. That's really a nice looking bike also. In my younger days it was my choice too. Even for long distance touring. Alas age his it's drawbacks and rewards. It's just that Mpther Nature got it all wrong.  >:(  What kind of exhaust is that and how does the sound compare between say stock and the shorty muffler? I don't like mine loud but in between like the old glass packs that were new.

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 02:34:56 am
PC: Welcome on board. I have two questions: 1. Have you decided on a name for your bike? 2. What are you buying for the great wife of your?  8)
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 02:47:08 am

While I was looking a pics Ace, I took a good look at your cafe. That's really a nice looking bike also. In my younger days it was my choice too. Even for long distance touring. Alas age his it's drawbacks and rewards. It's just that Mpther Nature got it all wrong.  >:(  What kind of exhaust is that and how does the sound compare between say stock and the shorty muffler? I don't like mine loud but in between like the old glass packs that were new.

Hi Phil,
Thank you!
That's my 2000 Bullet street roadster.

My exhaust is the Goldstar system from CMW.
It is louder than stock, and I don't have the baffle in it. I don't find it objectionable at all. I'm sure that some would feel it is too loud, but I've had alot louder pipes on some of my other bikes than this. I think it is about "on the loud side of normal", if that makes any sense.
It needed a big jetting change.

One of the neat things about it is that it has the characteristic "chirp" sound on deceleration  that all the vintage Goldstars make, and I think that is very cool.

I find the Ace bars comfortable really, because they take some of my dead weight off my butt, and get it forward onto the bars. And the feeling of controllability with the forward and low riding position is very confidence-inspiring. I feel in a lot better control of the motorcycle at speed in turns.
It is very good for easing the wind-resistance load, and in conjunction with my little flyscreen and mini-spoiler in the back, I can ride at indicated 60mph at about 1/8 throttle opening, which is basically riding on the pilot jet for cruising. It gets good gas mileage like that.

I'm enjoying it rather well, and there's nothing quite like a Bullet!

I have 2 other Bullets that I'm building while I ride this one.
One is a fully-faired one that has the Cafe Racer full Rickman-Avon fairing with the plexi nosecone on it, and some custom bodywork on the rear that I fabricated. I have some racing and aerodynamic experience, and I even contributed some of the design ideas for the aero package on the 2008 Bonneville Bullet effort that will take place this fall.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 03:01:46 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Porkchop

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 04:40:51 am
PC: Welcome on board. I have two questions: 1. Have you decided on a name for your bike? 2. What are you buying for the great wife of your?  8)

Hey VMAX- Name for my bike..well, I asked my little daughter and she said 'Olivia'- seems right to me. Olivia it is. And as for a present for the wife...a sidecar?...

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 06:00:01 am
You are a lucky man Porkchop...
there are not many of us here that can say that our wife bought us an ENFIELD... she's A  KEEPER!!
Just 1 question...   what's that on your head??
                      - Mike
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 06:03:23 am by baird4444 »
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 02:00:00 pm

I have 2 other Bullets that I'm building while I ride this one.
One is a fully-faired one that has the Cafe Racer full Rickman-Avon fairing with the plexi nosecone on it, and some custom bodywork on the rear that I fabricated. I have some racing and aerodynamic experience, and I even contributed some of the design ideas for the aero package on the 2008 Bonneville Bullet effort that will take place this fall.

Your absolutely right about control especially in the corners. It also takes pressure off your back.
 I used to do a little racing myself in the '70s on a Haberman faired BMW and a Laverda 750 SFC, which was a factory 24 hour Lemans ride. It was casual fun and I always finished in the upper third which was all I had set  out to do. It's like a ballet watching bikes go through corners.
Looking forward to seeing the Rickman-Avon Bullet.
Thanks for the info on the pipe. And good luck on the Salts.

Phil

erob123

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 03:46:31 pm
Welcome.  Great wife you got there.  My wife didn't buy mine but she went 300 miles out of her way so I could get mine. New 08 Military.  Is that a Kevlar lid your wearin to ride?  I've got one and wear it every where, goes with the bike.  Alittle heavy and it ain't DOT approved but DOD approved.  Got the latest upgrades for it from Bullet Proof in Austin, Texas. Hope you enjoy.  I'm starting mods.  Replacing seat with solo and rack.  Don't fit right, bike is on the wide side. But I'll get it with everybody's help on the forum.
Eric

Porkchop

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 07:25:56 pm
Great wife you got there.  My wife didn't buy mine but she went 300 miles out of her way so I could get mine. New 08 Military.  Is that a Kevlar lid your wearin to ride?

Yeah, my wife is the greatest. One in a million. - To answer your question, nope, not a Kevlar lid- Not very heavy either. I'm sure it's not DOT approved, just got it online to wear for the look of it. I bought it almost a year ago before I ever knew about RE. Seems the stars alligned on that one...or I just dropped enough hints to my wife...
It's true what they (and by 'they' I mean all of you here on this forum) say, I get plenty of 'thumbs up' and questions when I'm out riding on my military. I've been 'pulled over' twice already by the local PD just to have a look at it. One of the officers was on a PD Harley. Great riding up here in Minnesota. Take a trip if you can. I'll buy you a coffee* (*coffee purchase not guaranteed)
Cheers - PC

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 08:02:40 pm
Olivia is a great fitting name.

Sidecar - most outstanding choice. I run a '05 Classic w/a Cozy Bullet sidecar.  ;)
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 03:33:55 pm
With that title to this thread I thought she had it in for you and had loaded one and shot you!!!!
Glad to hear this is not the case and the 'Having your name on it' means something else.
 Nice lady; hang onto her!!!
Welcome to the Military.

LSM:- Bullet 500cc Army
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin