Author Topic: wiring question  (Read 4512 times)

dmerc

• Scooter
on: February 28, 2015, 01:44:57 pm
My AC regulator ( for lighting I presume) has one brown wire and one blue wire. No connector. The diagram I have shows the regulator hooked up to the yellow and amber (orange?) wires coming from the alternator. Which wire goes where? Is the regulator polarity sensitive? Is amber really orange?
Does the lighting system run off regulated AC voltage rather than 12v DC like most modern machines? Thanks for any help  here!

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 02:43:32 pm
Some bullets (forget the model years) are factory-wired with the alternator providing AC via an AC reg to the lighting, and AC to a DC rectifier/reg for ignition.

Many convert to a more conventional all-DC system.

Sorry I can't help on the AC regulator question itself...no experience there.  But you're not crazy; the wiring is.  :)

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 05:16:27 pm
What year and model of Bullet are you asking the question about? Is it a home market model or export model? A little more info than what you posted will be needed.

2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

dmerc

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 05:46:35 pm
What year and model of Bullet are you asking the question about? Is it a home market model or export model? A little more info than what you posted will be needed.

Hi, It's a USA model 2007 Bullet classic.  5 speed with electric start and breaker points ignition. Bike was customized by the previous owner so I am not absolutely sure of the model.

dmerc

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 05:51:46 pm
Some bullets (forget the model years) are factory-wired with the alternator providing AC via an AC reg to the lighting, and AC to a DC rectifier/reg for ignition.

Many convert to a more conventional all-DC system.

Sorry I can't help on the AC regulator question itself...no experience there.  But you're not crazy; the wiring is.  :)

This seems to be the set up on my bike. I was wondering about running everything off the battery instead of using this AC circuit. And yes none of the wiring diagrams seem to match up with the color code of my wiring, which makes it all the more interesting.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 06:19:36 pm
You could always run a Tympanium R/R.  I have one and am happy with it.  It's a little low at idle voltage with the lights on, but gets up to 13.5 volts around 2500 rpms.  Simple install too, 2 wires in, black and red out to the battery.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

dmerc

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 06:45:00 pm
You could always run a Tympanium R/R.  I have one and am happy with it.  It's a little low at idle voltage with the lights on, but gets up to 13.5 volts around 2500 rpms.  Simple install too, 2 wires in, black and red out to the battery.

My bike already has the 2 piece regulator rectifier set up. It also has this AC regulator thingy. That is the one I'm trying to figure out. Maybe someone has a set up like mine that they can look at.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 07:15:56 pm
So is your ac regulator not connected? Most custom builds do away with the stock system and use a HO alternator, doing away with the ac lighting circuit. Sounds like the PO left the original 2-pc reg/rec on the bike so probably still has the stock alternator too. Maybe he replaced the ac reg with another one. You will probably want to go through your main harness and see what was done to it. Hopefully the PO wasn't a hack.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 07:39:11 pm
My 2004 bullet 65 has 4 wires coming out of the alternator. 2 go to the small a/c regulator to power the headlight which will only go on when the motor is running. The a/c current operates the headlight OK. The other 2 wires go to the main rec. reg. to produce d/c current to run the rest of the bikes lights, horn ignition. A 2 wire system is unusual. You'll have to try that one on someone else.

Neil and Buzzy the Bullet.

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
  • picture is not actual bulleteer
Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 08:39:01 pm
for an AC/DC system you will have four wires from the alt. the orange and yellow are obvious. some alt have a red and black, some have two blue. the red black go to the blue. hope that helps.
Kill em all, let God sort em out. 
 Have a nice day.

dmerc

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 09:25:20 pm
for an AC/DC system you will have four wires from the alt. the orange and yellow are obvious. some alt have a red and black, some have two blue. the red black go to the blue. hope that helps.

Right, I have the AC/DC system. the 4 wires I have coming from the alt. are 2 purple and one yellow and one orange. I just need to know where the brown and blue wires  of the AC regulator go. None of the diagrams are any help. They just assume you have a connector to plug into, which I do not.

dmerc

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 09:59:14 pm
So is your ac regulator not connected? Most custom builds do away with the stock system and use a HO alternator, doing away with the ac lighting circuit. Sounds like the PO left the original 2-pc reg/rec on the bike so probably still has the stock alternator too. Maybe he replaced the ac reg with another one. You will probably want to go through your main harness and see what was done to it. Hopefully the PO wasn't a hack.

Total hack job with no main harness when I got it. He also cut the plugs off the handlebar switches so I'm having to ring all them out and label. Wire colors on the switches don't match the diagrams I have for this year bike.. I may end up hooking the AC regulator up and see what happens there are only 2 wires so I have a 50/50 chance of getting it right.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 11:19:05 pm
This might help:

http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/attachments/wiringacjpeg1999fourwire.jpg-278215d1340470834

Note the headlamp bulb "earth" and that of the high beam warning light are NOT connected to the earth wires of the rest of the wiring loom, they feed straight back to the AC connection on the rotor.

However, as your wring has been butchered completely you MIGHT want to fit a proper 120W two-wire Lucas RM21 alternator instead of its under-powered Indian clone, and a nice simple 12V all DC wiring loom with a good single phase regulator/rectifier. You can get these with a built-in capacitor, eg the Boyer Power Box, for running without a battery and preserving the stripped-down look.

Regards,

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 12:14:11 am
Amber is orange.
AC voltage regulators are not sensitive to polarity.
It would be a good idea to check the amount of voltage from one wire (amber) to the other (yellow) when the engine is running just to confirm they are attached to the same alternator coils.

I was looking at some wiring diagrams for some old iron barrels and they don't seem to show a AC circuit for the headlight.
I have read some of the older ones (long before 2007) did use such a circuit and because someone has obviously cobbled up your wiring it's hard to say what is powering what.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you. 
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

dmerc

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 12:47:16 pm
Amber is orange.
AC voltage regulators are not sensitive to polarity.
It would be a good idea to check the amount of voltage from one wire (amber) to the other (yellow) when the engine is running just to confirm they are attached to the same alternator coils.

I was looking at some wiring diagrams for some old iron barrels and they don't seem to show a AC circuit for the headlight.
I have read some of the older ones (long before 2007) did use such a circuit and because someone has obviously cobbled up your wiring it's hard to say what is powering what.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

This very helpful actually. Now that I know amber is orange and the AC regulator is not polarity sensitive. I'll be OK Thanks!