Author Topic: Aerostich or Lee Parks gloves  (Read 8759 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
on: February 27, 2015, 09:03:38 pm
Does anyone here have any experience with either of these gloves?  I'm starting to look for a new set of gloves and the designs from both companies look very close if not identical.  They have elk and deerskin, I'd be looking at something with a long cuff to cover the sleeves of my jacket.  They look well made and comfortable, my main concern is that they are not pre-curved at all and I find that most gloves that are tend to be more comfortable for riding.

Thanks in advance for your info,
Scott

straffordrt

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 10:18:13 pm
If your looking for winter gloves, I love my BMW winter gloves, have lasted several years and look like new:
http://www.bmwmotorcycle.com/BMW-PROWINTER%20GLOVES-detail.htm?productId=18308877

Don't look pre-curved but they are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 10:25:49 pm
No, more for fall and spring so long cuff but unlined.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 12:03:00 am
I don't have experience with either of those that you mentioned, but I LOVE my Olympia leather/Kevlar gauntlets.  They were about $90 and broke in quickly.  they are extremely comfy, armored, not too terribly hot for summer and are perfect for spring and fall.

I bought mine locally but these are the exact same glove.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympia-340-Mens-Vented-Kevlar-Blk-Premium-Leather-Sport-Motorcycle-Gloves-Large-/380778974389?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item58a8320cb5&vxp=mtr
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 12:21:18 am
No experience with those gloves, but James Reazor from "The Pace" podcast recommended Lee Parks Deer Tour gloves a few months ago.  His partner Chris Hornberger recommended Tour Master deerskin touring gloves in the same show.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 12:22:24 am
I've had some Olympia gloves before and they were fine but I'm looking for something new and better.  Come to think of it, I had them for a decade before I retired them and they're still on the shelf as spares just in case.

Don't need armor, I make it a policy never to rumble with the Power Rangers on my commute to work ;)  I just want something that's feels as close to wearing nothing as I can get.

I'll check out the Tour Master deer skin gloves too, thanks.

Scott

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 04:26:56 pm
Over the past 55 years of riding I have purchased and used several different gloves, my favorite gloves are the Aerostich Elk Skin, they the most comfortable and durable gloves I have ever owned.

Grant
2016 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2014 Royal Enfield C5 With Cozy Euro Sidecar

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 04:50:14 pm
Have you looked at any of the Aerostich gloves?  I had a pair of their Elkskin Ropers for a long time and liked them....the color is a little weird, but they were super comfortable.  I also like to wear a glove that gives me the most feel.  I rode yesterday with my ski gloves and my clutch control sucked.
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 04:58:10 pm
Thanks Grant.  I weird already so who cares about the color ;)

pmanaz, yup, looking for good feel for sure, that's why I'm looking at deer and elk.  I hear they deliver that in spades.  I have a pair of Tour Master winter gloves.  Really warm but too bulk to ride in, can't feel a thing.

Scott

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 05:25:38 pm
Over the past 55 years of riding I have purchased and used several different gloves, my favorite gloves are the Aerostich Elk Skin, they the most comfortable and durable gloves I have ever owned.

Grant

Great minds think alike...and post at almost the same exact time ;D
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 05:29:44 pm
Does anyone here have any experience with either of these gloves?  I'm starting to look for a new set of gloves and the designs from both companies look very close if not identical.  They have elk and deerskin, I'd be looking at something with a long cuff to cover the sleeves of my jacket.  They look well made and comfortable, my main concern is that they are not pre-curved at all and I find that most gloves that are tend to be more comfortable for riding.

Thanks in advance for your info,
Scott
I have two pair of Lee Parks gloves. Both going on eight years old. They are amongst my most cherished possessions!
They're both the regular length ones with the seams on the outside. Unlined.
If you've never owned a pair of deerskin gloves, you don't know what you're missing.
Deerskin is so supple, that you can reach in to your pocket (with jeans on) and pick out exact change. The tactile sense that you retain with them on is astonishing. And it stays that way no matter how many times you get it wet.
I wear my Lee Parks day in and day out all year long, on the bike and off. Not so much as a loose thread has developed. They are THAT well made. Pricey but worth every penny considering that they'll likely be the last pair of gloves you'll ever have to buy.

Can't comment on the Aerostitch gloves but   I've been wearing their AD1 pants for two full seasons now and I love them as well.
Just bought a pair of their Combat Touring boots. Can't wait to start breaking in those babies. ;D
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 10:36:39 pm
Those gloves look ok, I should state I have owned neither. I checked out both manufacturers, and one set of gloves from each. What striked me as odd, is they didn't state the weight ( thickness ) of the leather used.

One company you may want to consider is Fox Creek Leather https://www.foxcreekleather.com/mens_mensdeerskin . Even though I am in the UK. I ordered some Elk leather gauntlets. Which has nice thick leather 1.5mm. I have had one off at 30mph and they where fine. They are unlined, and would be great for spring and fall, and even winter if you used an inner glove. I still use mine as my sole Gauntlet and I've had them 8 years.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 11:22:19 am by Dave1 »

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 12:36:49 am
I am also the proud owner of Aerostich Combat Lite Boots with the cleated soles. They took a little time to break in but offer a great deal of protection. To aid in break in apply some leather conditioner which seems to soften the leather.

Grant

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 12:43:18 am
Those gloves look ok, I should state I have owned neither. I checked out both manufacturers, and one set of gloves from each. What striked me as odd, is they didn't state the weight ( thickness ) of the leather used.

One company you may want to consider is Fox Creek Leather https://www.foxcreekleather.com/mens_mensdeerskin . Even though I am in the UK. I ordered some Elk leather gauntlets. Which has nice thick leather 1.5mm. I have had one off at 30mph and they where fine. They are unlined, and would be great for spring and fall, and even winter if you used an inner glove.
Fox Creek +1!
Have a Classic 1 jacket.

2017 Triumph T120

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 12:44:23 am
I am also the proud owner of Aerostich Combat Lite Boots with the cleated soles. They took a little time to break in but offer a great deal of protection. To aid in break in apply some leather conditioner which seems to soften the leather.

Grant
Thanks for the tip!

2017 Triumph T120

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 04:42:59 am
What temperature range are the Aerostitch Elkskin gloves or Parks Lee gloves good for ?   
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 01:02:09 pm
What temperature range are the Aerostitch Elkskin gloves or Parks Lee gloves good for ?   
Hey Singh!,
Leathers, while being tough and extremely abrasion resistant don't insulate body heat particularly well on their own.
I mentioned I have two pairs of the Lee Parks gloves. My main summer pair I bought to fit skin tight to facilitate my manual dexterity and they do remarkable job at that but I'm digressing. That pair is comfortable for me in a still air temperature down to the low 50's degrees, American.
My other pair have just enough slack to slip in a thin merino wool liner and that nets me another 10-15 degrees.
Any colder than that, say mid to low 30'sF an I break out my Mongo's
https://www.foxcreekleather.com/products/716-fcl-drawstring-gauntlet-lined?display_category_id=70
I'll stick an extra wool liner in them depending.
I've done hour rides in those at or slightly below freezing.
Colder than that, I take the bus.

2017 Triumph T120

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 01:18:06 am
Have you looked into Churchill Gloves? Deerskin, curved to the hand, and less expensive.
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 01:36:28 am
Singhg,

Living in Tennessee the winter is normally mild, I ride in temperatures ranging from lows of low 40's to low 90's year round wearing my Elk Skin Aerostich gloves. I have National Cycle hand deflectors during winter, at temps. below upper 40's I also wear silk glove liners. Hope this helps.

Grant

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 05:16:52 am
Chuck D, I went out and looked at some deer skin gloves at the local shop.  They are a really nice material.  I think I'll be looking for deerskin for sure now.  I love the dexterity and soft feel.

Dave1, Fox Creek looks like good stuff too.

Grant, I've been eyeing the boots too.  I'd love to get a set of boots that will last forever and can be resoled instead of disposed of.  The Aerostich look a bit clunky and hot for warm weather.  Are they?  I'm not an adventure tour guy.  I just want something light and comfortable, mid calf or so, with armor, and waterproof.

cstorckiii, Churchill gloves look nice, not sure they (or anyone else) has exactly what I want.  I want a seamless deerskin palm for comfort and dexterity, unlined, and short cuff to cover the jacket, preferable with something to cinch it up.  I'll probably get another pair without a cuff for summer but right now it's not summer ;)

Lots of good stuff.  From what I hear, the Aerostich unlined can be a bit tough to get the cuff over your jacket.  The lee parks and some others look like they go almost to your elbow.  Still looking, I'm sure I'll pick something soon.  Thanks for all the input.

Scott

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 01:07:32 pm
Ducati Scotty,

I've owned Aerostich Combat Lite boots for several years, once broken in they are very comfortable, I'm on my second pair because of a crash a few years back. They are heavy to me when first putting them on but as one becomes accustom to wearing them it is not very noticeable. I wear them while riding my RE and also my Guzzi sport bike without any problem operating the foot controls. I noticed they were hot but not any warmer to me than my old BMW boots in mid to upper 90's riding through the Badlands in South Dakota a couple of years ago. I also find them comfortable for walking giving much support to my 70+ year old feet. I did buy the current pair on Ebay for slightly less than half price because the first owner was unhappy after wearing the on one ride.

Grant

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 06:17:13 pm
Just thought I would add that Goldtop are back producing top quality products. Goldtop are a British Motorcycle leathers brand, that was very popular in the 50's and 60's. A lot of cafe racers used them, not only cafe racers but the police too. There gloves, gauntlets, and boots were very well known.

Thought I'd mention this here because there has been a lot of talk recently on these forums of authentic cafe racing machines and culture.

http://www.goldtop-uk.com/#!gloves/c1p77

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 07:53:31 pm
Cool!  Thanks for the link Dave!
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 04:59:45 pm
Scotty, Churchill does do custom orders, if you wanted to get that involved.
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 07:47:19 am
I have both Lee Parks and Aerostich gloves. They are not the same and Lee Parks are made better. Better leather and stiching.
Rocket

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 04:38:44 pm
I own a few pairs of gloves. All were around $20. I like a large Gauntlet for colder weather. I used to have gauntlet mittens lined with rabbit fur that were toasty, but no longer ride in extreme cold weather & sold them.  For moderate weather I have some grey Kid leather German air force gloves that are extremely comfy. I wear NO gloves for Florida summer riding, & find a safari jacket with big pockets worn as a shirt to work pretty well in the INTENSE heat.
  No need to spend a fortune on name brand gear, unless it is important to you as a status symbol. If I were a millionaire I would not change my riding kit.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 05:48:19 pm
For speeds under 55 mph where you fall off and don't actually get hit, high end safety gear is not a necessity. There is a grey area between about 55 and 80 mph where the cheaper stuff starts falling apart, sometimes enough to expose your flesh and bone. After 80 mph you  NEED real motorcycle safety gear. AND all bets are off if you get hit. If you get hit you simply can't buy gear that is too good.
Rocket

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 06:44:26 pm
I've seen people badly crippled falling off a scooter at under 30mph.  Friend of a friend.  She spent a year re-learning to walk and another year re-learning to use her hands.  Regardless of the bike or speed I advocate good moto gear.  It's one of the reasons I like sport bike gear.  It may look a little too Power Ranger sometimes but it's designed to protect you when you fall off a bike.  The asphalt doesn't give a crap what kind of bike you fall off, just how fast you're going and how you land.  And if you get hit or slide into a curb/telephone pole/whatever, yup, all bets are off.  It's why you can dump at over 100mph at a racetrack and not get hut - run off.  Good space to slide and not hit anything.

Scott