Author Topic: Noisey Tappets  (Read 5322 times)

raybot

• Scooter
on: February 20, 2015, 06:11:21 am
Hi all,
this is my first post as I have recently returned to motorcycling (after a 30 year absence), and bought a new c500 in Military Green. I'm just loving the bike, as it's a joy to ride without the need for break-neck speed. So what's the problem ?
I've just run the bike in (to manufacturer directions), but am finding that now that I am riding at higher speeds, (100kph plus), I find that the tappet noise is drowning out the gorgeous thump. I have seen you-tube videos of guys adjusting their tappets but there are a couple of issues:
1/ They're not the UCE model
2/ My cycle doesn't have an ammeter so I can't tell exactly when I'm at top dead centre.
btw I live in Queensland, Australia, so I apologise for the metric standards.
Anyone have any ideas ?  Has anyone got any info on how to adjust the tappets on this bike ?

Thanks, and Hi to all    ;)
2014 C5 Classic in military green

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 06:50:44 am
First of all, congratulations on your return to biking and choice of bike!  8)

The UCE engines have hydraulic tappets so no adjustment is necessary.

My bike is quite "tappety" too but unless it's excessively loud I wouldn't worry.

A trip to your dealer to put your mind at rest might be worthwhile too, or compare yours with another Enfield if you know of any in your area.

I'm sure others more knowledgeable will chime in soon.

John

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 09:44:02 am
If you want an ammeter - Royal Spares do them, got an ammeter & speedo delivered to Perth for $50 (only went for speedo combo as only increased bill by $15 over ammeter alone)
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 11:02:04 am
Louder aftermarket exhaust may solve your problem.
Nigel

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 11:13:35 am
You can check your tappet clearance for any up/down play after the engine is hot. If there is any play, then the pre-load of the pushrods into the tappets is not sufficient.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 05:10:13 pm
Hi all,
this is my first post as I have recently returned to motorcycling (after a 30 year absence), and bought a new c500 in Military Green. I'm just loving the bike, as it's a joy to ride without the need for break-neck speed. So what's the problem ?
I've just run the bike in (to manufacturer directions), but am finding that now that I am riding at higher speeds, (100kph plus), I find that the tappet noise is drowning out the gorgeous thump. I have seen you-tube videos of guys adjusting their tappets but there are a couple of issues:
1/ They're not the UCE model
2/ My cycle doesn't have an ammeter so I can't tell exactly when I'm at top dead centre.
btw I live in Queensland, Australia, so I apologise for the metric standards.
Anyone have any ideas ?  Has anyone got any info on how to adjust the tappets on this bike ?

Thanks, and Hi to all    ;)

"IF" it is a high speed tappet noise, I would take it in. That could be an oil supply issue to the top end or the Hydraulic lifters.  Unless it is something else, like a loose exhaust , head steady, loose bolt some where and etc.   It's more common to hear valve train noise at idle.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 07:35:53 pm
raybot: I, too, was very disappointed by the valve gear noise on my new B5 (bought in 2014).

In my case I don't think it's the tappets because there is no play at all in the pushrods - they feel tight.  But for some reason the valve gear makes a clickety tappety row, which I find most objectionable because it implies some bad design, or bad manufacturing, somewhere.  On pretty well every other modern bike the valve gear is effectively silent - what excuse have RE got?  It's a new engine, so no excuse.

You can reduce it slightly by adding additional shims to the ends of the camshafts to reduce the end float to the minimum possible, but it won't cure it.

I've set myself a project to find out the cause, although it won't be easy: the engine cover holds the ignition pickup so you can't run the engine with it removed.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 10:11:27 pm
   The UCE does not use a system , where oil is pumped from the lifter and up through the pushrod to lubricate the upper parts of the valve train.  Like many other Motorcycle and Car Engines  do.   I think if it did, that might tone down some of that valve train noise.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 10:28:04 pm
water cooling will quiet it down..............but then it wouldn't be Royal Enfield ::)
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 11:53:02 pm
water cooling will quiet it down.......

So would overhead camshafts.  Yeah!!
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

raybot

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 01:00:00 am
Thanks for all the comments guys, I will get the dealer to check it as the bike is only just run in. The noise (like an elephant speed typing on a typewriter) only really begins at 80kms +, but then hangs around when I decelerate to 60kms. It's not present at Idle.

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 01:19:19 am
Raybot,
What are you running for oil?

raybot

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 04:46:37 am
.Hi Nor'easter , good question, I haven't touched since the 500km service by the dealer, I assume it's 15W50 as per spec, but I have heard of people using 20W50   

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 05:01:58 am
Check the headstay.  It's the little brace from the head to the frame on the left side of the bike just forward of the seat.

raybot

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 08:53:18 am
Oh, forgot to sayt, thanks Steve, maybe you're right, might be the valve gear, I just assumed it was the tappers. Can anyone advise ahat the highest biggest cruising speed you've been able to maintain, without killing the engine ?
( sorry for the dodgy typing, I should never have used the elephants on a typewriter metaphor)