Author Topic: Yamaha Bolt?  (Read 4336 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 04:09:33 pm
Doh!  Stupid brain reading things wrong.    ::)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 05:37:59 pm
Just on the vibration side, it's the 1st thing I felt on the harley, the guy just said, it's a forty eight, it's meant to be rough?! The bolt in comparison was silky smooth, everything I expected :)

The biggest issue I have in South Africa with Harley's are that they are accountants toys. Guys with too much money trying to buy street cred. The same guys that will buy BMW's and Merc's. They are a bit poncy, incredibly arrogant and everything the harley brand doesn't represent. I won't buy a BMW because of this image and it's what really puts me off Harley's locally.

What I find funny, is that bobbers and choppers weren't necessarily a harley thing, Harley's were used but so were a lot of other brands, so to say that other brands are copying harley because they are following that style is not completely true.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 12:07:29 am

The biggest issue I have in South Africa with Harley's are that they are accountants toys. Guys with too much money trying to buy street cred. The same guys that will buy BMW's and Merc's. They are a bit poncy, incredibly arrogant and everything the harley brand doesn't represent.

HaHa, I think that's EXACTLY what the Harley (tm) "Brand" represents. It's the same here. Most Harleys seem to be ridden by fair weather weekend warriors or Lebs. I built myself a nice little bobber from a Suzuki Savage and it's 10x cooler than a Harley, because it isn't one.  And is worth probably the same as a set of blingy crap footboards for the HD.
BTW, I think the Bolt looks like a cool little scoot too.
And another thing: "Reviewers" complain about the vibes from the GT but are in love with the old school shakes of an 883? WTF?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:11:36 am by gizzo »
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 04:24:58 am
I looked at the Bolt when they came out a few years ago.  The only Harley I do like is the stock 883 Sportster, so I like the Bolt for its looks.  I never took either for a test ride, but read a bunch of reviews and comparos on them both.  The only thing that sticks in my mind is multiple mentions of a common problem with both bikes (In those reviewers opinions). 

That problem being that the placement of the foot controls and pegs on both bikes makes it awkward to place your feet when you come to a stop.  IIRC, you have to lift both legs up and away from the bike before setting them down or you risk getting a cuff caught on the pegs and falling over.

Other than that, all the comparos I've read favored the Bolt over the Harley for reasons of smoothness and value for money.

Cheers,

Dan K.

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 04:31:44 am
I was chatting to a mate on Saturday about this and he was very much me not wanting me to be one of "those guys" with "those loud exhaust" and fat tires :D

Sadly though I need to move on from the Enfield, it's just too slow and I just spend too much time shipping bits and pieces it's broken. I've just broken the rear exhaust bracket for the second time?! I've broken the center mudguard stays 3 times, the number plate has fallen off once, my license disc holder has broken off as has my bobber style rear brake light (twice until I replaced it) and the rear indicator holders.. I take responsibility for the indicator holders but the rest was all the Enfield :D I have had the bike for 2 years (6000kms) and I have had to replaced the clutch cable, the accelerator cable and the decomp cable, every time it happens the bike has to go into "quarantine" or I just ride without the part.

Because of a postal strike, I waited almost 4 months for my center mudguard stays! And the next problem is just the speed, at 100kmph it's perfect for b-roads but I can't do runs and the highway is just dangerous. Oh and my brakes are also a big issue now for some reason. The rear brake is finally decent, the front brake seems to have lost all its bite and is soft and squishy :/ so just no consistency.

So not complaining, I love the Enfield but it does have its idiosyncrasies, a lot of them. I now just need a bike that can get me from point a to b without parts breaking and without any need to carry a toolkit. This funnily was one of the reasons that drew me to the bike to begin with but I've realised it really should be a secondary bike rather than a daily commute. So now it's either a bolt, 883 or forty eight. We have a bobber builder here that can do me a great bike for maybe half the price but again, I need a reliable ride. I need to make sure the guy only messes with the cosmetics and leaves the main working parts alone.

Dan K, Ive always worn pretty tight jeans on the bike. I hate the buffeting so tight jeans are just a way around it. I've had a similar problem on the Enfield with my cuffs catching on the foot pegs :D a pretty scary situation at the stop lights :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:58:54 am by young gun »

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 04:58:52 am
I could never buy a Jap bike. Just can't do it. I once had a weak moment in 1979 and walked around a Suzuki showroom. Then I saw a basket case Ducati 750 in their back room, and bought that for $500, and rebuilt it.
Saved, just in the nick of time!
 ;D

C'mon Ace, not all jap bikes are jap bikes...
Here are a few specs on the Honda Valkyrie I ride.
    was the Brainchild of Joe Boyd, an American.
    was manufactured in Marysville, Ohio, United States.
    95 HP at the rear wheel.
    98 lbs ft. of torque at the rear wheel
    865 lbs wet weight
    quarter mile times of 12.5 to 13 seconds
    6 cylinder, 1520 cc, 6 carburetors
    Electronic ignition
    Twin floating caliper, dual pistons brakes front, single dual piston, rear.
    5 speed transmission, shaft drive.
Believe me, those 6 carbs make it a lot of fun...
         - Mike

'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill