Author Topic: Bad news, Good news  (Read 4817 times)

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 12, 2015, 10:53:44 pm
Bad news first: The battery on my 2 and 1/2 year old G5 finally called it quits today. It wouldn't even turn the engine over after an overnight charge.

Good news: My bike started first kick all day.  It seems that as long as there is enough charge in the battery to pressurise the fuel injection system, the bike will happily start off the kick starter.

I have now ordered a gell filled replacement battery from Hitchcocks. I didn't go for the Lithium option on cost. the sealed gell battery is only a third the cost of the lithium one. And besides, if I can kickstart the bike, I don't need the extra cranking power of the Lithium option. It is a shame that the factory fitted battery crapped out so soon. The bike is garaged, and given a trickle charge when not in regular use.

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 10:59:14 pm
Great to hear you weren't dead in the water  ;)
From the sounds of it though and going by what others have experienced, it sounds like you did well to have an OEM battery that lasted that long   :o ::);D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 11:24:57 pm
+1, good lifespan for an OEM battery.  And yup, as long as you can power the fuel pump and ignition, it should fire up.  Don't ride farther than your towing service will come to get you until the new battery arrives ;)

Scott

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 12:30:14 am
.......I have now ordered a gell filled replacement battery from Hitchcocks............ The bike is garaged, and given a trickle charge when not in regular use.

You will need to replace your trickle charger now.  Make sure you get a charger that is compatible with the chemistry of your "Hitchcocks" battery.

Its a shame you were sold a GELL battery.  The AGM (absorbed glass matt) battery is far superior in this application and costs less than a comparable silica gell filled battery.

However, if your need is kick-starting the bike deep in a brutal arctic storm  :o - the GELL battery is marginally better...  ;)
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 12:53:15 am
AGM batteries were coming in at over twice the price  (more like triple) of my gell one, and I would then have to secure a smaller battery.

Good point on the trickle charge technology, Gremlin. I guess some research is in order! The last thing I want is to jigger my new battery.

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 07:38:54 pm
I didn't go for the Lithium option on cost.

Does anyone know how long the lithium batteries last in this role?  If it's anything like the lithium batteries in the various gadgets and laptops I've owned, the capacity is about half after a couple of years, and after three it's usually cream-crackered.

I've been really disappointed by the (lack of) longevity of lithium batteries.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 08:12:06 pm
I've just hit 2 years with a Ballistic Performance LiFe battery, and it has yet to read below 13.5 volts when checked. And the bike always starts.
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 12:19:11 am
Just googled "Ballistic Performance LiFe battery"...
Ouch over $200 at Dennis Kirk

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 01:09:54 am
Yeah, that and the proprietary charger about doubled the price. But two years without a hitch, I'll call it a draw in the cost/benefit department.
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 01:36:49 am

They are a little cheaper on ebay, some with free shipping to boot!
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 08:04:24 am

Ballistic price that one  :o
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 08:53:10 pm
My original flooded battery is still going after 11 months. I keep a tender on it, as I don't get to ride as much as I would like. When it goes I will replace it with a sealed AGM battery. I wouldn't even consider a lithium battery, especially a Shorai. They are ridiculously expensive, and practically worthless. I belong to several bike forums, and have never heard anything good about them. One guy on a motorized bicycle forum had about $500 worth of them on his electric bike, and they crapped out in less than a month, because he supposedly "charged them wrong" There is still nothing more reliable or longer lasting than a lead acid battery. "SLA" and "AGM" are both lead acid batteries. SLA is "sealed lead acid" and AGM is "absorbed glass mat" also lead acid. Lifepo4 batteries are junk. At least the ones used for motorcycles and electric bicycles.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 02:08:17 am
I don't have an issue with decent quality lead-acid batteries.  I had one on my Ford Mondeo that lasted 11 years, and numerous bike and scooter ones that easily gave 6-7 years' good performance. I guess it is tried and tested technology. The key words however are *decent quality*. Batteries seem a perfect fit for the old adage that you can have any two of 'powerful', 'lightweight' or 'cheap', but not all three.

I went with a sealed gel battery as it seemed a reasonable compromise of performance, convenience and cost. Another consideration was that suppliers are not allowed to mail or courier lead acid batteries with acid in them here, and battery acid is not that easy to come across locally. As gell batteries are sealed, such restrictions don't apply.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 03:45:45 am
All local auto parts stores around here sell battery acid, and I would keep the flooded type of battery just for the nostalgia, other than RE made it very difficult to check the electrolyte level without removing the battery and shining a light through it. Using clear plastic rather than white would have eliminated that problem.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 04:40:30 pm
Hey you liquid acid battery fans, what are you thinking? LEAD acid flooded batteries WILL CORRODE your hard earned machine, nearby electrical contacts, & possibly PUKE ACID & RUIN YOUR CHROME EXHAUST SYSTEM. The sealed AGMs are the same size your bike requires, have more cranking power & last twice as long if you pad them with foam rubber. They cost up to twice as much as a flooded battery, & worth every cent ! - many have a year warrantee. 
HARBOR FREIGHT TOOLS sells a float charger for $13. that is compatible with AGM batteries, & is fine applied overnight every few weeks.
  I encourage you to take advantage of a good thing. After owning an AGM you couldn't pay me to go back.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure