Author Topic: 1959 RE/Indian Chief Build  (Read 2558 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 09, 2015, 03:45:43 pm
Now that I'm just about finished building the Blackhawk, aside from a few mechanical issues and a couple cosmetics, I'm starting to think back to the Chief.  With the Blackhawk being designated as a race bike, I want to do something different with the Chief.  I'm thinking pantina bobber.  Blast it all to bare metal, rust it up and matte clear coat it to seal it, and then some ol' skool pin striping.  Nothing real crazy, just a nice simplistic rider.  I'm even thinking of maybe dropping a Bullet motor in place of the twin to make it even simpler.  :)  I might start throwing the chassis together in the next week or 2 after I finish up a few more things on the Blackhawk.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 07:25:57 pm
I can't recall what condition your Chief is in, but why not take it back to original?  I think these older bikes are getting harder to find and bobbing it might negate ever being able to restore it.  I'd find something else to chop up and play with, but I'm kind of a history buff and hate it when I see someone get a complete and restorable 1920's coupe and rat rod it.  Now, if it's already been modified...chop and bob away.  Just my two-cents.
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 07:44:06 pm
I appreciate your input, but a period correct restoration would be a waste of money on this bike.  I would have thousands more into the restoration than what I could ever sell the bike for.  And that's not my style.  I build my rides to be functional and enjoyable.  If I spent $15K to restore a bike only worth $8k, it wouldn't be enjoyable for me because I'd freak the fuck over dust falling on my paint job, let a lone a scratch or something more severe.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 12:38:16 pm
Well, I think I'm going to come off of the Chief project.  I just have too much going on in life right now and could use the extra cash for my move in June.

Current Parts for Project:
-Titled framed, I can repaint the frame and swing arm for additional $$$
-All suspension and 16" wheels, no tires
-Good engine case, disassembled, everything is there except con rods and pistons.  I do have access to a set of NOS Hepolite pistons +.020 for $125
-4 speed gear box with scissor clutch
-Original Lucas harness and rectifier, not sure if it's good, alternator is gone.
-Almost all of the hardware, bagged and tagged
-Refinished bench/dual seat
-1 tool box

MISSING
-Fuel tank
-Fenders
-Alternator
-Speedo (I am supposed to have it but still haven't gotten it from the PO)
-Primary cover
-Tail light

Send me a PM with your offer if you are interested.  I still have the crate it was shipped to me in, and shipping was about $300 when I had it shipped to me.  Located in the Denver Metro area.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 01:00:42 am
I said goodbye to the Chief today.  It all worked out well, I got my money back plus kept a few spare parts.  And the buyer has a couple spare twin motors that I can buy down the road.  All is well.  :)