Author Topic: Guy Martin & Royal Enfield  (Read 4400 times)

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 01, 2015, 09:43:23 pm
Probably only available to the UK brethren, but maybe available elsewhere. Two part series. Details here - http://www.channel4.com/programmes/our-guy-in-india

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 08:34:11 pm
Just watched this. Brilliant!
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 12:06:32 am
Anyone seen any of his other series?  Is it worth a watch to see a moto racer renovate and travel on a canal boat?

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 02:05:15 pm
Not to me it's not, but each to his own of course. But this India trip is definitely worth a look - not least for his utter bemusement at the sensory overload of India! And more Royal Enfields than you can shake a stick at! He quickly realises that RE is the only realistic choice for a 1000 mile ride in India, and buys one in what apparently is the biggest motorbike market in the country. The bike is blessed by the proprietor & staff before being handed over and off he goes into the horror nightmare of Delhi traffic.
He fancies a ride on an Indian train, and there's a five hour wait for a train during which he pays 20p to have the bike wrapped in straw and assorted garbage tied together with string. Later he's so knackered by lack of sleep and "Delhi belly" that he actually falls asleep while hang gliding!
Next week promises more joys as he ends the trip by entering Rider Mania - allegedly the world's maddest motorbike race. Hah!  Don't they know who this man is....?!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 02:07:48 pm by WillW »

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 10:41:01 pm
Just watched this. Brilliant!

Will - The link does not play video for me. Is it only for UK ?

PS - Did you get lots of snow too as we are getting here this year ? Real cold too.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

decker

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 11:01:58 pm
Singhg5, it's available on YouTube. Sorry you'll have find it as my tablet won't let me paste the link.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
Honda cx 500 custom - stolen
Honda 450 twin - traded up
Honda 650 nighthawk - blown up
Honda Goldwing 77- restored/ traded up
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy
2013 RE G5 Deluxe- last bike?

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 09:38:28 am
Singh - here's the Youtube link -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjflooEUuvo

Freezing here yes, but not much snow, not in the south west anyway. Bikes are currently tucked up in the shed for the winter, but not long now....
I think the W650 will be for sale come spring. Sad, but needs must. There's always Hitchocks RE performance kit to get excited about... ;)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:34:33 pm by WillW »

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 04:55:13 pm
Singh - here's the Youtube link -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjflooEUuvo

Freezing here yes, but not much snow, not in the south west anyway. Bikes are currently tucked up in the shed for the winter, but not long now....
I think the W650 will be for sale come spring. Sad, but needs must. There's always Hitchocks RE performance kit to get excited about... ;)

Thanks Will for the video link. This Guy is something else ! Can't wait to see the next episode.

With the performance kit from Hitchcocks, your RE will come alive with few more ponies in its belly :). That makes all the difference. Look forward to hear your experience with it.

This is a LONG winter. I have not been able to ride at all for the last few weeks and forecast is for more snow and cold days ahead. Bike is stored for the moment.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 05:40:34 pm
Glad the link worked Singh. Yes, he's a real original, and seems to be genuinely fearless.

I'll let you know how the upgrade goes. Haven't yet decided whether to just do the valves & cams etc, or go the whole hog and bump it up to 535cc while I'm at it. Depends what I get for the Kwaka really.

Sorry to hear weather's stopped play. It can't last - already one daffodil and one crocus among the snowdrops here... :)

medra42

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 06:06:27 am
I happen to be travelling in the UK for work this week and saw the last episode of the series (not sure how many there are?). After welding the center stand on the road side, he goes paragliding and falls asleep while he's up there (someone else is controlling). He said it was too slow.

Good stuff. Enjoyed it quite a lot.
Soph: 2012 Bonneville T100
Padma: 2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
Igorina: 2013 Honda CB500X

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 03:22:39 pm
I just finished watching both episodes what a great take on India, Guy has the right personality to make this show work.
As for the Enfield side..........'I'm putting the bike in to storage and will be back to ride it, Goa back to Grimsby' I think says it all about the humble Bullet from a road racing speedmyster  ;)
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

jwnwyoming

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 04:21:44 am
Followed the link but could not get it to load. I did watch the Pikes Peak episode. Can't figure out the India link.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 04:10:41 pm
Followed the link but could not get it to load. I did watch the Pikes Peak episode. Can't figure out the India link.

The link has been taken down. It must be due to copyright infringement of Channel 4 of UK. It was Part 1 of the series, really nice.

Here is a short teaser of that -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epZ0SHxW2bw   
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk