Author Topic: New owner, and a few questions  (Read 6152 times)

rpnix

• Bulleteer
on: July 01, 2007, 12:29:25 pm
Questions:

First, there's a switch on the RH cluster that looks like it might be for turning the lights on and off. Is this just disabled in the US? There's no mention of it in the owner's manual.

Second, there's two small white lights to either side of the headlight. Again, no mention of them in the owner's manual. Any specific purpose?

--
Bob Nix -- '06 Ural Tourist, '07 Royal Enfield Electra
Bob Nix -- '06 Ural Tourist, '07 Royal Enfield Electra  <-- Click on the bike to see photos!

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 03:38:41 pm
Bob,

In its unwavering quest to protect you from yourself, the US govt. mandates that the headlights remain on at all times. This is why the switch you refer to does not operate. In other countries it does.

The two smaller lights you refer to are called pilot lights. If you look in the headlight mechanism for most any Vintage European bike you will find a single small bulb also called a pilot bulb. As I understand it, it was considered proper practice to keep your headlamp off when you were driving in populated areas at night and these bulbs provided some indication to others that you were on the road. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this information, but it is the genesis of the the two pilot lights on the Bullet.

Regards,

Kevin Mahoney
Classic Motorworks
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 02:46:08 pm by CMW-Rhett »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

deejay

Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 01:10:08 am
Questions:

First, there's a switch on the RH cluster that looks like it might be for turning the lights on and off. Is this just disabled in the US? There's no mention of it in the owner's manual.

I believe the switch is disabled in the headlight and it's fairly easy to make it operational again. I have not done this mod, because the more chances I can be seen by someone on his/her cell phone, the better.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 04:17:16 pm
The middle position is indeed for the siamese parking lamps on the headlight bucket.

The switch is easily re-enabled (for off-road use only  ;) )

Inside the bucket, behind the headlight you'll find the harness to the switch. Inline is a small jumper plugged in. Remove the jumper and reconnect the harness. That's all!

Matt
RE Notes:
http://members.verizon.net/allofusmorrows/RE_Notes.htm

Questions:

I believe the switch is disabled in the headlight and it's fairly easy to make it operational again. I have not done this mod, because the more chances I can be seen by someone on his/her cell phone, the better.