Author Topic: Axle sizes?  (Read 1767 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
on: January 04, 2015, 08:42:55 pm
Are there two sizes of rear axle for the Bullet, and if so, when did they change?  Thx!

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 08:57:33 pm
What model? I thought they were pretty much the same.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 09:15:10 pm
There is no model to name, as this is a bitsa/frankenbike situation.

I have a discrepancy between a spare axle from India (with all spacers and hardware) and the axle in my frame now.  The spare axle, which if I recall is genuine Enfield, won't fit through my standard wheel bearings.

Likewise, I have a replacement swingarm on my 1977 frame, unknown year, which has slots that are a hair larger than the axle I'm using, and this less than 1mm gap is kind of bothering me.  Hadn't noticed it before.  Is that normal?  Seems like the larger axle might fit but I haven't given it a try yet...however, it wouldn't fit my wheel anyhow.

Weird.  The axle from India has always mystified me.  Just wondered if there had been a change in axle size at some point in the Bullet line.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 09:59:50 pm
Do you remember what bike the front end came off of?
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 10:05:28 pm
Problem solved.  Spare axle was poorly made.  Little sandpaper on the thread end and bearing slid right on.

That said, it leaves me with the same issue on the rear end...is it normal for the axle slot to be a bit larger than the axle?  I would have figured you'd want an exact fit.

As to the front end, Scotty, it's off an EFI bike, I believe.  It's not the C5 style, though.  I think it's an Indian-only Thunderbird model.  Well, the crowns are for sure.  The legs might be, too.

Yeah, frankenbike.