Author Topic: 1966 Royal Enfield Continental GT 250  (Read 5246 times)

CTmotorcycles

• Scooter
on: December 31, 2014, 03:57:31 pm
Been told off already for posting in the wrong section, ooops!

Hello all, newbie here from the UK.
I have my father's original GT250 to do up and was just wondering whether anyone can advise me of the gearbox filler plug for the gearbox oil change?
Also how do you guys remove the inspection cover for the primary chain inspection hole located on the crankcase?

I have started the write up on another forum, please view  :)
http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=297238&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Cheers to all

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 12:25:42 am
Like I mentioned in the other post, the 250GT engine is a unit construction engine.

As such, the engine oil is also the gearbox oil.  I don't believe there is a separate oil filler plug for the gearbox and the engine oil filler serves both the engine and the gearbox.

I will admit I may be wrong because I was reading GREAT BRITISH MOTORCYCLES by Bob Currie which has a chapter on the Continental GT 250 (pp 183-189).

In this, the author says,
"...The beauty was more than skin deep, too, because compression ratio had been raised to 9.5, the inlet port in the head ws opened out and a 1 1/8-in choke Amal Monobloc carburetor fitted- incidentally, with a bell-mouth intake instead of an air filter... Moreover, crankcase breathing had been entirely revised, the waste gasses now making their way to atmosphere by way of a big-bore plastic pipe draped along the underside of the seat...In truth, the better crankcase breathing was long overdue, because the Crusader family of engines had for years suffered from high blood pressure.  There is no denying that they went like stink, but the crankcase joints were anything but oiltight, nor did it help matters that many riders tended to overfill the gearbox [engine?].  So take note, any reader thinking of restoring a little Enfield, that there is indeed a gearbox oil-level plug.  It's the middle screw of the right-hand engine cover...."(p 183).

Under a cutaway drawing of the engine on page 184 the caption says, "Basic power unit of the Crusader family...The unit-construction power house has a common oil supply for the engine and gearbox."

The MOTOR CYCLE , MARCH 1966 review of the Continental GT included in the chapter shows the claimed horsepower at 21 bhp @ 7,500 rpm.

It shows the weight at 306 pounds and says the lubrication capacity is 3 pints of oil.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 12:28:08 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 09:26:22 am
I feel I must reply here, as the engine and gearbox oils on the 250 GT and ALL other Redditch 250 and 350 unit singles are totally SEPARATE !!
 The engine oil filler is pretty obvious, but the gearbox is totally separate internally and it is filled via the small brass screw cap, not far away from the engine oil filler. The gearbox oil level is checked via the screw in the centre of the right side outer engine cover and drained via a plug underneath the engine, as with the engine oil.
 Another important point is that the primary case and engine ARE interconnected and as such these two actually DO share their oil. If the primary cover is removed for any reason, only a small amount of oil will be lost, but you have to replace that amount of oil in order to maintain the engine oil level.
 B.W.

CTmotorcycles

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 08:50:04 pm
Thanks for the replies guys, oil change done!
Feel free to pop onto the other forum for updates. Cheers

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 04:11:46 am
Thanks for the clarification BW. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary