Author Topic: NO WORRIES!!!  (Read 1999 times)

i.candide

• Bulleteer
  • Romancing the Life
on: December 31, 2014, 03:30:21 pm
I see a lot of RE riders and prospective riders are overly concerned about the frame weld on my C5 breaking. I am not concerned at all. The reason I posted the info, the photo and the symptoms is to give a heads-up so that, if you experience the same symptoms, you should check out the frame.  Not to scare people away. Here is some facts:

1. I ride daily. A 16 mile, one way, commute and some errands. The symptoms were prevalent for a month, but I could not find the source. (The increased engine vibrations and the weird rubbing noise when applying the rear brake.) That is over 500 miles! But Rocinante (my C5's name) held together and travelled quite well. The REs are robust and well put together. Except for one weld in many thousands - tens of thousands - hundreds of thousands - or maybe millions made in 2012 (the year rocinante was manufactured) no other problems of this sort have been reported. The problem was an anomaly. The only one of its kind as far as I know.

2. The only other case (the one that was reported) of a frame weld break was the result of an accident with a kangaroo. If you look at the youtube videos, you will see many riders - especially in India - taking their REs through very rough tracks and roads - at speed - WITH NO PROBLEMS!

3. It was the dealer who found the problem - not me. That should tell you that , on the most part, the RE dealers are very good at their job. Kevin of RE-USA, and Tom and the staff of Southern California Motorcycles are great people!

4. The Royal Enfield establishment stepped up to the plate and made good on the warranty. I'M GETTING A NEW BIKE! Would Honda, Kawasaki, or any of the other brands do the same thing? I hope so...but who knows for now?

Again -- NO WORRIES!!!

ROYAL ENFIELD MAKES GREAT MOTORCYCLES!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 06:17:12 pm by i.candide »
Romancing the life
On a 2015 Military Green C5
In Southern California

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 03:56:59 pm
I was wondering about that issue..So they came thru for you..Fantastic..R U gonna stay with the c5  model?  Good way to start the New year..GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

i.candide

• Bulleteer
  • Romancing the Life
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 04:07:38 pm
I love the art deco flair of the C5. I'm sticking with it.
Romancing the life
On a 2015 Military Green C5
In Southern California

adi-4004

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 05:17:34 pm
New York Metropolitan Area

2014 C5 Military Green

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 05:42:15 pm
For comparison, a rare but well known problem on the air cooled Ducati Monsters is cracking the engine case by hitting a big bump.  The rear suspension ties in to the engine case, hit a big enough bump and you can crack it.  I've seen two or three postings on this.  Never covered under warranty, considered the result of abuse, and I think that's valid.  Still, it leaves the owner of the bike with no choice but to replace or repair the engine.  You either need an engine swap or need to tear the engine down, repair or replace the cases, and put it back together. 

Very rare but a known problem.  I'm sure any of those owners would trade for a simple crack in a steel frame.

Scott

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 02:23:05 am
I've said it before and will say it again - I've had a triple-clamp crack on my BMW, a swingarm crack (severely) on a Honda CBR and a friend of mine just finished welding a break in his frame on a KLR650. All of this under normal riding, no overloaded touring, wheelies or jumping, etc.  The KLR has no panniers and is used for a around town commuter.

It happens...rare, but it happens.
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 04:20:27 am
I remember looking at a 50cc Honda Metropolitan scooter a few years ago. Honda was dumb enough to bolt the centerstand to the aluminum cases, and the scooter sits really low. Someone had ridden it over a speed bump, and banged the centerstand hard enough to knock the whole bottom out of the engine.

I have never been a believer in using the engine as a stressed member. It should be fully supported in a frame, and all other parts should attach to the frame. Yes, both the Enfield and my XT225 use the engine as a stressed member. The XT has been dropped a few times (off road) with no damage. I don't plan on dropping the Enfield, but still wish it had a full cradle frame, like the new GT. Seems like they could have done that for all models when they went to the UCE engine. Maybe cost was a factor.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 05:04:27 am
........ROYAL ENFIELD MAKES GREAT MOTORCYCLES!!!

RE/USA  are good people.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5