Author Topic: Piston rings for 87mm piston?  (Read 4724 times)

Juha

• Scooter
on: December 27, 2014, 12:16:09 pm
Hello.

Where can I find rings for cylinder, which is bored to 87mm? I have Indian Enfield Bullet (I don´t know the year, since someone has changed the motor). Included is picture of the piston. I am rebuilding the motor and found out that oil ring is broken. It´s width is 3mm.

Thanks in advance.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 02:08:42 pm
I have done some web searching on these "NUSA" pistons, since the other fellow also posted about it. I did not know what these were.

Apparently, NUSA is a Swiss company, and they may have been the ones who made the old Egli pistons, and perhaps provided some/all of the 87mm Lightning pistons to RE way back when they were making Lightinings.

I can't read French, but maybe you can get a translator program to work for you. Here is the link to the NUSA piston ring page, and presumably you can order the rings from them.
http://www.nusa.ch/segments.php
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Juha

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 06:59:44 pm
Thanks. Have to ask directly from there. What are the piston rings widths at "normal" 87mm pistons? If I don´t get any from NUSA, maybe some other rings still work for me? Piston & cylinder are in good condition, so it does not make sense to buy whole new piston& ring set.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 07:11:52 pm by Juha »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 07:14:36 pm
Check with Royal Enfield, and maybe they can give you the specs, or even supply rings from new old stock.

Juha

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 03:33:55 am
I contacted to them too. I have now asked from about ten places. Have to wait ´till holidays are ovar. I have gotten many autoreplies, that shops are closed. Hope that I find the rings, otherwise I´ll have to buy all new piston & rings, which does not feel reasonable.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 01:31:37 pm
Based upon what I've read in these threads, I have a feeling that the NUSA piston is heavy as a brick.  You may be better off replacing it anyhow.  Just my 2 cents.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 02:22:42 pm
The problem is that there are no good pistons in India. Everything for Enfields there is made to be as cheap as possible, and half of it are knock-offs from street vendors. Heck, that "NUSA" piston might even be a knock-off of the real one. When it gets that bad, nobody really knows what they have.
And as soon as you try to import anything, there are big shipping costs and high import duty taxes. It is a difficult situation there.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 02:24:55 pm by ace.cafe »

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 03:10:22 pm
Based upon what I've read in these threads, I have a feeling that the NUSA piston is heavy as a brick.  You may be better off replacing it anyhow.  Just my 2 cents.
I believe it's the same piston as I had, same markings and size. Pretty certain mine came from CMW, it looks the same as whats in their catalogs for the big bore kit.  Barely can make out "NUSA" and  "cyl=87.00" stamped on the top. Weight is approx 417 and 499 w/pin. Still no idea where it is actually made though.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 03:13:06 pm by cafeman »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 03:39:51 pm
I believe it's the same piston as I had, same markings and size. Pretty certain mine came from CMW, it looks the same as whats in their catalogs for the big bore kit.  Barely can make out "NUSA" and  "cyl=87.00" stamped on the top. Weight is approx 417 and 499 w/pin. Still no idea where it is actually made though.
Was yours in your bike when you got it?
Do you have any estimate about when it was installed, and if rings can be ordered?

If CMW had them, they were likely RE overstock from Lightning production.

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 07:29:51 pm
Was yours in your bike when you got it?
Do you have any estimate about when it was installed, and if rings can be ordered?

If CMW had them, they were likely RE overstock from Lightning production.
Yes it was already in as part of the iron barrel big bore kit (as I was told by previous owner) Really no idea of when it was installed, but I have a couple of older CMW catalogs and one from 2009 page 153 part#Z90424 that show that same style piston (particularly the crown shape) along with the cylinder as their kit offering. The catalog does not show that piston by itself, only a different hi-comp forged piston with a much different crown shape part# Z91324
CMW mentions having carried "hi-comp 8.5:1 pistons from several vendors and to specify your piston part# when ordering rings. They should know this NUSA 87mm piston and the rings required one would hope.

Juha

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 07:54:21 pm
Is that CMW this, you are talking about?

http://www.cmwmotorcycles.com/index.php

Their page says only this: Sorry, our website is not available. Please contact us by phone for assistance.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 08:06:34 pm
Is that CMW this, you are talking about?

http://www.cmwmotorcycles.com/index.php

Their page says only this: Sorry, our website is not available. Please contact us by phone for assistance.
No, CMW is Classic Motor Works, who is the host of this forum, and is the US Importer for Royal Enfield Motorcycles. They have more spares for RE than the RE factory does. There is contact information at the top of the home page.

Here is the link:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/contact_us.html

Juha

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 04:12:25 am
Thanks. Again! Contatacted.

Juha

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 04:42:36 pm
Does people have problems contacting with NField Gear? I ordered 535 piston rings from them, they came and all was fine, UNTIL I checked what reads on the box!! STD rings! I have tried to mail them, posted to their Facebook page & sended messages through it. Week has gone now, what can I do? Have to return those. Worst thing is, that my Bullet sits and waits those rings. Lots of things to do, whose I can´t do, before engine is ready.

Hope, that someone at Nfield Gear or at Classic Motor Works reads this and reply to my mails!!!

Juha from Finland (Order Number: 63548)

Juha

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 05:43:19 pm
Finally got answer and I am more than pleased. They´ll send me correct rings, without charge. Great!!