Author Topic: Ace/BW assisting Australian vintage racing team.  (Read 13516 times)

Veeman

• Scooter
Reply #45 on: February 23, 2015, 10:07:44 am
I cannot believe that BW intends to rev his engine for the express purpose of seeing the rev counter needle reach the 10000 mark on a dyno. Such action would amount to  sheer stupidity, so I am certain that is not what BW meant.
That the engine could momentarily survive such engine speeds is another matter entirely. There must be countless racers who have missed a gear and been alarmed to see the rev counter needle disappear, only to breathe a sigh of relief when the engine continued running.
   The inertia forces as applied to a 90 mm stroke engine running at 10000 rpm are colossal. Assuming a piston weight of 525 grams (same as a Summerfield Manx item), the force trying to fly off the conrod during the overlap period is greater than 3 imperial tons, and under such stress a pressed up crankshaft will try to behave like a skipping rope.
  I cannot comment on the valve gear as I know nothing about the arrangement employed, but will be surprised if any valve springs can keep the valves under control when lifts of up to 16 mm are employed. At 8500 rpm yes, but not at 10000, unless of course it's a missed gear situation, and then my earlier comment applies.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: February 23, 2015, 11:14:58 am
Yee have little faith in the Bullet Whisperer.   ::)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #47 on: February 23, 2015, 01:14:55 pm
I cannot believe that BW intends to rev his engine for the express purpose of seeing the rev counter needle reach the 10000 mark on a dyno. Such action would amount to  sheer stupidity, so I am certain that is not what BW meant.
That the engine could momentarily survive such engine speeds is another matter entirely. There must be countless racers who have missed a gear and been alarmed to see the rev counter needle disappear, only to breathe a sigh of relief when the engine continued running.
   The inertia forces as applied to a 90 mm stroke engine running at 10000 rpm are colossal. Assuming a piston weight of 525 grams (same as a Summerfield Manx item), the force trying to fly off the conrod during the overlap period is greater than 3 imperial tons, and under such stress a pressed up crankshaft will try to behave like a skipping rope.
  I cannot comment on the valve gear as I know nothing about the arrangement employed, but will be surprised if any valve springs can keep the valves under control when lifts of up to 16 mm are employed. At 8500 rpm yes, but not at 10000, unless of course it's a missed gear situation, and then my earlier comment applies.

Yes, it would seem so, but you don't have all the information to the puzzle, and you will understand later when he describes it.

I will just say that it is a different bike, and a different class, and not the same one as has the head on it now. ;)

Just as a matter of response to your comments on the piston, I do take your point about piston mass at very high piston speeds, and we are quite aware of the issues. I didn't know what the weight of a Summerfield Manx piston was. However, I can assure you that all of our Ace forged 87mm pistons weigh in at much lower than 525 grams(they are 470g with pin and clips), and those are in our street bikes which redline at about 6500 rpm, so we do take the matter seriously, and design accordingly. The BW racing piston is a custom job that is somewhere around 100 grams lower than ours. It has been doing very well so far in the 500.

I could give more info, but it wouldn't be fair to spoil the fun for BW!
 :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:41:50 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Veeman

• Scooter
Reply #48 on: February 24, 2015, 08:32:14 am
"Yee have little faith in the Bullet Whisperer".

My comments have nothing whatever to do with having any faith in the Bullet Whisperer, but has everything to do with highlighting the magnitude of the task that lies before him, something you clearly have absolutely no idea about.
BW knows his motorcycle cannot race in the Isle of Man using methanol as a fuel, so Ace's ambition of seeing it raced there will not materialise without this aspect being changed. And the Isle of Man TT course is without question the World's hardest circuit that tests both man and machine to the max, the Nortons and G50's that are the top runners there are in a different league entirely to those circulating at the BHR events back in the UK.
I wish BW and ACE success in their joint effort to get to the top. That it will be a difficult hill to climb is without question, and only time will tell whether they are sucessful.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: February 24, 2015, 11:40:45 am
Thanks for your good wishes! :)

All long hard journeys begin with a single step.
The first aim is to prove out the new engine mods on the 500, and do as well in this year's British Vintage  racing series of events as possible.
Then we shall see about the IOM.

Regarding the fuel, we understand that is an issue, and transitioning to a fuel suitable for IOM would be necessary.

These are all things which are along the path. BW and his brother have been at this for a good long while, and are seasoned veterans on the circuit. And he has some very good resources behind him, including us at Ace. I'm quite sure that we can work our way to to our destination.

And thank you also for your input and interest!
We always welcome knowledgeable and enthusiastic racers such as yourself in the discussions, and we hope you will even become a fan of our efforts.
Thanks again ;D

At the proper time, BW will release the answer to the mystery 10k rpm comment. It will be interesting and fun.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:43:37 am by ace.cafe »

rep_movsd

• Bulleteer
Reply #50 on: February 24, 2015, 07:40:26 pm
I'm just amazed at how the rest of the bike holds together in one piece under such levels of power.

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #51 on: February 25, 2015, 11:54:37 am
I remember seeing Paul's older 350/500s which used to redline around the same rev range. So far all I have heard about him is - Winning races, hopefully this one will go well too!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: February 25, 2015, 01:28:30 pm
I remember seeing Paul's older 350/500s which used to redline around the same rev range. So far all I have heard about him is - Winning races, hopefully this one will go well too!
The 350 racer always revved higher than the 500, due to smaller  lighter internal parts.
BW knows how to keep these engines together at rpms which I previously did not think possible. And he runs them right up there during the race, too.
Amazing, actually.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: February 25, 2015, 01:54:34 pm
This video clip has been posted before, but it seems appropriate to show it again here. It is a 90mm stroke 350 going to 8000 rpm on the dyno. The one I am building will be different and will be able to rev much higher. 10,000 rpm is not a target for peak power speed, but the engine should be able to get up around there after the power curve has gone 'over the top'. I hope it will be more powerful, faster and capable of higher engine speeds than the current one, which can exceed 8000 rpm. I want this to be the Royal Enfield from Hell, as far as the other competitors are concerned  ;D .That is all I will say about it for now  ;)
 B.W.
http://vid956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/rossemma/20140319_113308-1.mp4
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:02:39 pm by Bullet Whisperer »