Author Topic: Why should I buy a Royal Enfield?  (Read 6063 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 07:39:25 pm
If you want a beautiful looking motorcycle that is unique in so many ways, that you can take care of, and leisurely ride on the back roads, then the Bullet is the bike for you.

There is no other bike that is made today which has the beauty and charm of a Bullet.
It you compare it, close up, directly against any of the "competition" ithe Bullet will trounce anything else in classic appearance.
It looks even better in person than it does in photos.

If you MUST have a bike to ride on interstate highways, then the Bullet is NOT for you. No matter what you do, the Bullet is not going to be an interstate cruiser.
If you can live with speeds of 55-60mph or below, then the Bullet is a great bike.

Speed isn't everything, and you'll find a very different motorcycling world at speeds below 50 on the back roads. You feel much more like you are experiencing the countryside, than with other bikes that have you rocketing thru it.
The world becomes something you see, hear, smell, and can almost touch on the Bullet. On fast bikes, the world is just like "fly-over country" and you miss alot.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 01:37:34 pm
Another benefit to REs, if you like, is that they still use METAL for fenders and such.  Bought an '07 Bonneville Black and the fenders are PLASTIC!!!  Ugh!

And... don't know whether this is a benefit or curse--you take it as you're inclined, but at not a few stops, you can't get away immediately.  There's almost invariably somebody who's gonna make a beeline for the bike and you and want to know:
a.  What is it? (most can't read the "Royal Enfield" on the tank apparently despite a good High School or College eddication)
b. How much did it cost to restore it?  (Nothing--it's new)
c. What year is it? (1955 tech built loving in 200?)
d. How d'ya like it?  (LOVE it!)
e. Whatsa gas mileage? (this from Suckingly Useless Vehicle owners generally now paying for their stupidity via the pocketbooks for $4+ / gallon gas) (70mpg or better--200 miles+ on a tank)
f. Wheredja getit?  (Dealer's name)
And then several of those questions are followed by various "Wows -- wouldja look at that?  I ain't seen nuthin like that for years! "-- this while pointing out some aspect of the bike, engine, etc.
Then they see the tires... Good 'ol Avon Speedmasters... skinny like... "Hey how do they do on corners?"  (Stick like Gorilla Glue).

If you don't care to have such notoriety or to have to answer such questions with rather awesome frequency, DO NOT BUY A ROYAL ENFIELD!
Otherwise, plunk down yer Washingtons (you won't go broke at the price these little buggers go for) and get yer very own.  You'll smile all the way to wherever you're going!  Yesseree, Bob! ;D
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

cowboysculptor

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 03:27:58 pm
You still out there mcycle?  Is any of this what you were looking for?

I have a 2007 Bullet Deluxe, and it's my daily commuter.  Right now I have to fine tune my timing a bit, which can be a tad fussy, but she still starts first or second kick EVERY time.  I have no checklist, but I do have a routine for starting and stopping, not maintenance stuff, just things like giving the kickstart a few pumps before firing it up, shutting off the petcock when I'm done, little stuff.

But here's a great reason nobody has mentioned yet: I've had several women tell me this is the sexiest bike they've ever seen.

They really ought to put that in the brochure.  I'm starting to regret putting on that solo seat . . .

Peter
2007 Royal Enfield Bullet Deluxe
1978 cb750f

Coronach

• Bulleteer
  • I don't get stressed, but I am a carrier
Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 03:35:21 pm
Two words for you:

Pillion Pad.

Mike :D
Columbus, OH
2008 Black Classic ES "Last One"
1050 miles on the clock
OH! ... IO!

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 04:12:52 pm
  Quote from cowboysculptor

"But here's a great reason nobody has mentioned yet: I've had several women tell me this is the sexiest bike they've ever seen."

Thats it. I'm getting another Enfield!!

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 05:22:02 pm
For an intersting comparison, pull up a BMW forum and read the list of complaints about final drive failures, electronic gremlins, quality issues, etc. All on 15 - 25 thousand dollar machines.

Mechanical things are imperfect.
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

frankdog

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 06:55:50 pm
Why buy an Enfield? To me, the reasons are simple. I can give you the reasons I bought one and the reasons I ride mine daily.

1. When I first saw an Enfield, I literally did a double-take. I was lucky enough that the fellow riding it was going to the same place I was. I got to look closely, admire the simplicity and...fall in love. On the spot. With everything about it. These engines are a work of art, even if they require attention to operational details. I was fortunate enough to find one online in my town within a few weeks.

2. Along with #1, they turn heads. These bikes look great, sound great and ride great. In so may ways, it's the perfect in-town bike. Lots of low-end torque and smooth, solid running (mine is, at least). I own several bikes, and when I ride my Enfield, I ALWAYS am approached by people admiring the bike. I've even had Harley riders come up and start up conversations with me, which often touch on old Brit bikes and thoughts of Brough Superiors, Vincents, BSA's, Nortons and Matchless. I have made some new friends from this bike, and shared some cool tips and techniques from other riders, that apply to my other bikes and to theirs. This type of interaction never seems to happen with my other bikes, even my mint-condition  '73 Honda CB750 Four.

3. You gotta tinker with these beauties. To me, that's half the fun of owning a RE. I can get on the Honda and bomb around all summer without having to do so much as an adjust the brakes a little and change the oil once. It never breaks down, starts right up and goes. But with my Bullet, like my long-gone (and lamented) BSA,  I have to check oil, clean off drips, check for new drips, check bolts, inspect this and that before riding EVERY time. I like that. It makes me feel closer to the bike. I know what's going on with that machine, and every inch of that bike. I know exactly what's happening with this sound or that. I know what needs replacement and when. I know what to expect because I've had to go over everything. I feel connected to this machine in a way that I don't in the same way with my other bikes (don't tell them!)

4. Chicks dig 'em. I have been approached several times by women just wanting to go for a ride. And let me tell you, having that warm girl on the back with her arms around my waist while we ride out to the gorge with a backpack full of lunch and nothin' but the afternoon in front of us confirms that I bought the right bike this year.

5. Oh yeah, I almost forgot...I could have bought three Enfields for the price I paid for the Bonneville, and I pay about $9/week for gas, riding daily.

Convinced yet?

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 07:03:53 pm by frankdog »

mcycle

• Neophyte
Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 10:10:25 pm
Wow, what an excellent bunch of responses! I have to say, I am sold. Thanks a ton for all your input. It really was a pleasure reading these posts.

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 07:54:22 pm
Enjoy your RE!
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

Adam Gamradt

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 09:23:29 pm
I got a guy hug from a complete stranger in a liquor store, he kept saying "that bike is bad to the bone baby".  That was pretty nice to hear.

I got honked at by a guy riding a custom chopper on the way to work this morning.

I get tons or folks who get misty about "their old bikes" when they see mine.

Oh, and the lady friend loves it.  Mom not so much, but she did say it was pretty.

Perhaps the best reason, everytime I get done riding, my face is one big smile.

Enjoy your bike, I know I am enjoying mine!

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 09:59:36 pm
I think people get the wrong idea about REs.

1. They need more maintenance, not more repairs. More things on th e bike require manual adjustment.
2. Many of the things that we are fiddling with are our own fault. We tinnker becuas we love to. Compare a chronic tinkerer's submissions to this site to an owner who leaves his bike bone stock and just does the minimum. The later never seems to have any problems.
3. There are a lot of bikes that can't be owner maintained. That does not mean they never have problems, but their owners don't blog about maintenance because the dealer is doing it. The reason the guys on thid forum are always talking about what they are doing to their bikes, is becuase THEY are doing these things with their bikes, not paying someone else to do it.

jonnyrocknroll

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 03:10:57 am
I drive/ride only 3 vehicles and all of them require regular maintenance.  Obviously my Enfield for one, my '54 Chevy Pickup, and my '65 Vespa.  They all take a bit of work, but putting that into them only makes them that much better.  The best things in life you have to work for, or in this case, on.

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 03:22:25 am
My bike just turned 4900 miles and so far here is my list of part breakages and failures:
 1.) horn bracket broke
  Thats it!