Author Topic: Any engine builders in Ontario or U.S. northeast?  (Read 2318 times)

InterceptorbREnt

• Neophyte
on: December 05, 2014, 09:17:56 pm
I've acquired a '67 Mk.1A Interceptor and, because of the bike's relative rarity, I am reluctant to rebuild the motor myself. Is there a reputable builder either in the Toronto area or in a border state that someone could recommend? Roy McMillan is right in my neighbourhood, but is swamped with his own projects.

Thanks for any suggestion you can provide.

...Brent

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 12:59:06 pm
Chumma!
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 01:14:50 pm
I've acquired a '67 Mk.1A Interceptor and, because of the bike's relative rarity, I am reluctant to rebuild the motor myself. Is there a reputable builder either in the Toronto area or in a border state that someone could recommend? Roy McMillan is right in my neighbourhood, but is swamped with his own projects.

Thanks for any suggestion you can provide.

...Brent

I don't know, that Interceptor could be a huge can of worms......  You should just hand it over to me.  ;D

JK   Chuck is right, Chumma would be the man in that region, but he is a very busy man.  It is rumored that sending him a message thru this forum is the best way to contact him.  Honestly, these motors are very simple to work on.  I've had my top end apart several times and it is a cake walk now.  I'm actually working on a motor rebuild myself for one of my 700's, but will be building it personally.  I'm using various performance parts including Triumph pistons and BSA rods.  Should be a stout motor when I'm done.  One word of advice is that I would highly HIGHLY recommend NOT using factory, aluminum, or NOS conrods.  Unless you plan babying the bike it's entire life.  The OE conrods are very weak and notorious for breaking at RPMs over 6000 and going thru the engine case.  I'm not saying that you can't beat on it, because I ride my '58 Trailblazer 700 very hard, but I never rev it over 5500 RPMs.  The OE conrods have been the demise of many RE twin motors.  Also, I was told by a reputable performance parts supplier, and also a performance builder of RE (on this forum) that the "aluminum conrods" from Hitchcock's are not much better.  I have now seen several pics of those rods exploded as well.  Just a heads up.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 03:11:16 pm
Isn't  Chumma in New Jersey?

The way the original post is worded, it sounds like he's looking for something closer to home.  But that's not always easy to find - believe me!

What always surprises me, and it probably shouldn't, is how around me, if you really look, people with all kinds of mad skills are hiding everywhere.  If you can find them, you're golden!  Welders, machinists, upholsterers, painters - build a whole new bike right here in the back woods of coastal Maine...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 06:14:14 pm
If it is for a concours type restoration, the builder needs to have intimate knowledge about exactly how the bike looked when it was brand new, with every single little detail correct, right down to the brands of the nuts and bolts and wires and connectors and tie-wraps and paint colors and everything.
If it is just for a "period correct look" or a daily rider, then it is not so stringent.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 04:58:13 am
May I suggest contacting ScooterBob in Minnesota.  That man is a wizard with old bike stuff and a stickler for detail. You can send him a PM or drop me a note and I will get you in touch.  Thanks.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome