Author Topic: Boyer MK4, PowerArc, or Pazon for a Fireball?  (Read 1925 times)

rep_movsd

• Bulleteer
on: December 01, 2014, 12:06:54 pm
Which works best?

Pazons seem to be better than Boyers, but they cost almost as much as PowerArcs

The PowerArc seems to be the most sophisticated, considering you can program it, and it has two switchable curves, but I'm guessing I'll have to buy the coil too? Will it work with the regular Bosch coil that I have?
If so then the PowerArc will be ideal!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 12:16:32 pm
Which works best?

Pazons seem to be better than Boyers, but they cost almost as much as PowerArcs

The PowerArc seems to be the most sophisticated, considering you can program it, and it has two switchable curves, but I'm guessing I'll have to buy the coil too? Will it work with the regular Bosch coil that I have?
If so then the PowerArc will be ideal!

We have noticed that the PowerArc has some trouble with kickstarting, and the Boyer starts up much better on the kickstart. We have been able to improve the situation by re-indexing the PowerArc to "think" that it is at TDC, when it is actually a little bit after TDC, thereby retarding the curve slightly. But with all the user reports that I have heard, the Boyer seems to be the most suitable, except for the rev limiter. I have not tried the Pazon, but Royce just got one to replace his Boyer, and he says it's better.
Kevin has tried a British version of the PowerArc that is made for them to their specs, and has programmability, and he found that to work well on his Super Fireball. I can't remember the name of that one.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

rep_movsd

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 12:56:09 pm
I suppose it's going to be a Boyer then....
Older analog ones are not available it looks like, so I suppose I'll get the MK4...

Is there a US supplier in the NYC area?  It can save me shipping costs since my brother is going to be there for a few days.

I think the MK4 should be good enough, no need for the fancy micro version... right?

rep_movsd

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 12:58:08 pm
Is there a rev limiter on the Boyer MK4?
Would it become a liability if I get a GP head later?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 01:06:24 pm
Is there a rev limiter on the Boyer MK4?
Would it become a liability if I get a GP head later?

Chumma can get one for you.
He has also talked to the tech guys at Boyer about moving the rev limiter up.
He has all the details.
Just contact him about it, and he can get you one, and give you all the straight dope about it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !