Author Topic: G M O and a little common sense  (Read 2760 times)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 10:01:31 pm
What bothers me the most is that they are Sooooo right (Liberals) about Everything & that although I may disagree, I am not only Wrong, I am Stupid & EVIL. Well, I'm NOT wrong about everything.

tooseevee:  Yes u r and don't u forget it....I do eat mostly organic but the problem is trying to distinguish who'se telling the truth..For once you think the FDA or someone with credential in the food industry would make a unbias truthful position on the food supply vice attention seeking media and political nincompoops...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

Uncle Billy

• Bulleteer
  • Still knee dragging (now and then) after 60 years.
Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 02:34:23 pm
I haven't got enough information to decide if there are risks in eating GMOs or not, so objective prudence dictates I avoid them until I'm convinced that they aren't hugely harmful.

I think "liberals" and "conservatives" both have some things right and some things wrong.  Some of the idealism of the left is unrealistic and unachievable; some of the perspectives of the right come from misinformation and emotion and not objective knowledge.

Some of the perspectives of the left seem like good ideas but rushing in their direction without due diligence on their consequences is too risky.  Some of the perspectives of the right resist any change no matter what the benefits of it would be which thwarts improvement. 

Some on the left want to change everything and with foolish bravely rush into the future willy-nilly, while having the courage to go in new well-vetted directions fits with the US being "the land of the brave"; some of the right wish to stop all progress and freeze things where they are because they are afraid of any change, while prudence and courage to progress and accept change when it's clearly an improvement lets us grow.

Competently meeting the obligations of citizenship in the US demands objective, informed citizens;  I think that the tenets of critical thinking are mandatory when one is analyzing an issue, with emotion and feelings set aside, and if there aren't enough facts or data available to produce a conclusion, none is made until further study (by one's self and/or others) produces them.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-train-your-mind-to-think-critically-and-form-you-1516998286
2019 Royal Enfield 650 GT
2014 Royal Enfield 535 GT
1984 HONDA VF750 INTERCEPTOR
1975 Yamaha DT 100
1973 Yamaha RD 250 made into a cafe racer in 1975
1973 Yamaha TY 175 Trialer
1966 Yamaha DT 125 Enduro   X2

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 03:02:32 pm
Is it just me, or does it seem like this issue has brought out an interesting role reversal in the typical red vs. blue, wacko liberal vs. wacko conservative head-butting?  The libs seem to be against modern change, and prefer the "old-fashioned" ways, while the cons seem happy to blast them for not accepting something new.

I know that's over-simplifying, and the reasons behind the various viewpoints are myriad - but I still find it amusing...

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 10:15:55 pm
Is it just me, or does it seem like this issue has brought out an interesting role reversal in the typical red vs. blue, wacko liberal vs. wacko conservative head-butting?  The libs seem to be against modern change, and prefer the "old-fashioned" ways, while the cons seem happy to blast them for not accepting something new.

I know that's over-simplifying, and the reasons behind the various viewpoints are myriad - but I still find it amusing...
Interesting point, but I think it has more to do with individual responsibility and reduced government involvement.
 I don't eat enough fruits and vegetables at all, much less worrying about whether they're organic or not....but its MY choice, and I don't want the government telling me what to eat or punishing my local pizza place for selling their goods.

Another interesting, slightly off-topic anecdote:
a reporter recently asked several members of the CBC (congressional black caucus) if they thought Michelle Obama's school lunch program was a good thing. They replied positively, adding that nutrition was important and obesity was a big problem in our country. They were then asked if those same rules (no junk food, sodas, candy etc) should be applied to FOOD STAMPS.  They were indignant! "No! they government has no business telling people what to eat!"  So apparently their rules only apply to some people but not others...particularly if a majority of those 'others' represent their voting block
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 10:24:56 pm
They don't want to tell anybody what food to buy with our money, not just their voting block.

Don't get me started on food stamps!  One of the usual suspects dumped a bunch of trash on the boat a few weeks ago, including a receipt from Rite-Aid pharmacy showing boxes of candy, literally "Bon-Bons", paid for with food stamps.  Why is this ok?!?

I guess I'm not a very good liberal...