Author Topic: Proper Flag for a UCE Royal Enfield??  (Read 7172 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 04:01:03 pm
SueAnn wants it more than I do, so I'll allow it!

;)   ;D

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 09:27:39 pm
In my honest opinion, if they want to keep sales up they're going to have to discount the fact that they are made in India.
I have been asked about my Enfield many times while out riding. When the person asks where it was made, I usually get "Oh  :-\" as a reply.
I then add that they are being made in a brand new state of the art facility and that for the money it's a great bike and that they have come a long way. The other person usually thanks me for my time and walks away.
In all honesty it was its British roots and lines that kept me interested in buying one.
Sadly, and in all honesty,  in my mind when I think of India, the first thing that comes to mind is a bunch of gang rapists and offshore IT support.  :(
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 11:31:44 am by NorEaster »

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 29, 2014, 06:31:57 am
In my honest opinion, if they want to keep sales up they're going to have to discount the fact that they are made in India.

Yes, unfortunately India does not have the best reputation for quality.  The new logo that has made its way onto the Conti. isn't going to help. 

Of course very little is made 100% in the country that owns the brand anymore.  My friend's 2013 Triumph was made in Thailand...His bike does not have the "Union Jack" or "Made in Great Britain" decals on it, so I guess the global market is what it is and no manufacture is immune any more.

It's going to be a up hill battle to win over the American market since most Americans still tend to associate quality with German or Japanese, and of late some American engineering; heck my 70 year old neighbors still snickers at my friends Ducati 996 when he comes over.  Swears nothing of any quality ever came out of Italy.  Of course this is the same guy that wouldn't own a Japanese car until about 6 or 7 years ago and said he wouldn't let his dog piss on my bike for fear of it falling apart on top of his dog...he is a lovable grumpy old bastard.

I do think that to build the brand in this country they will have to focus on the heritage and romance of the brand.  Harley did a good job of rising from the ashes of AMF, so maybe the new gentleman (forgot his name) from Harley will figure out a way to build the image while helping provide feedback for increased quality control and improved materials.  Of course, we may have to kiss the $6K price tag goodbye in the process.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 03:48:14 pm by pmanaz1973 »
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 05:00:48 pm
Sadly, and in all honesty,  in my mind when I think of India, the first thing that comes to mind is a bunch of gang rapists and offshore IT support.  :(

All 1.2 billion of them?

Nothing like a healthy dose of generalisation!  ::)

adi-4004

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: November 29, 2014, 09:50:17 pm

So close...
New York Metropolitan Area

2014 C5 Military Green

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 12:11:41 pm
All 1.2 billion of them?

Nothing like a healthy dose of generalisation!  ::)
The operative words in the phrase is First Thing.
Then thoughts of things like:

When I was a kid and blissfully ignorant of the world I thought it was all like this

The journalistic focus works to create the mind set that those who use it for information achieve.
If all that is ever focused on is the bad then people have a harder time to see the good.
As I mentioned in my post I've spoken highly about the bike when approached by strangers, when I mention the country of origin, they lose interest.
I can't fix what is put into the news and how it is presented.
Modi has an interesting comment about it though
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Modi-Practise-journalism-like-honeybee-and-not-housefly/articleshow/45321836.cms

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 12:30:19 pm
I think value/quality wise you get what you paid for. I got the c5 and the faulty sprag unit so I can't complain!....lol

JoeSchmofo

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 10:58:40 am
most Americans still tend to associate quality with German or Japanese, and of late some American engineering;

Quality American engineering!!! Surely an oxymoron.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 11:42:57 am
Quality American engineering!!! Surely an oxymoron.

Now, now!  Dig deep enough, and you'll find some...

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 05:31:32 pm
With this approach, the company name Royal Enfield must be eliminated since the term "Royal" is bestowed on a BRITISH firm by thye king/queen, or sometimes Parliment. Therefore it must be no more than "Enfield" !!.........so.....British flag only if you want the name "Royal" >>!!

That doesn't make sense to me.  Is an Indian company not allowed to use the word "Royal" in their name?  Of course they can!!  It's their company, it's their (Indian) laws.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #25 on: December 01, 2014, 05:44:37 pm
They won a lawsuit around 1999 where this "Royal" matter was under contention, and the rights to use the "Royal" term in the name was  awarded to Enfield India. They have used the name ever since.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: December 01, 2014, 11:23:43 pm
American engineering lately, at least in vehicles, doesn't seem to be charging ahead.  I get mad at Detroit because all they seem to put out are retreads of 60s era muscle cars.  Seriously?  We've got troops in harm's way all over the middle east and are already the biggest consumers of oil in the world and this is what you come out with?  Of course then I realize I can't blame Detroit, they're just selling what the market wants, and I don't have the energy to be mad at that many people. 

Same with Indian.  Their whole 'Choice is coming to American motorcycles.' campaign got me excited.  Then I realized it was just a choice of who to buy a giant v-twin chrome cruiser from.  They are pretty cool, but I was hoping for a little more deviation from the norm.  Again, market forces.

I wish we'd do some more cool stuff like the Chevy Volt.  It seems like the only really different thing to come out of Detroit in a very long time.  Harley has done the Livewire, and I hear it's really good, but I wonder if that will lead to anything they release to market this decade.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #27 on: December 02, 2014, 02:43:26 am
Tesla...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #28 on: December 02, 2014, 04:00:25 am
Yes, but not from Detroit ;)  I want to see them really chase something different.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:02:42 am by Ducati Scotty »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #29 on: December 02, 2014, 10:58:46 am
Yes, but not from Detroit ;)  I want to see them really chase something different.

I hear you.  But "Detroit" is an awfully big ship that doesn't change direction easily...