Author Topic: retro forks on newer bike:Q  (Read 1492 times)

scooberton

• Scooter
on: August 02, 2008, 01:58:14 pm
I have a 98' Bullet 500 and Im wondering if any one knows if the old springer type forks/front end can be bolted up to my bike or if not a direct bolt on "adapted' by special bracket or some other means to my bike?I love the old front ends but I for one would have some concerns about this modification ,if its possible.Such as the compatability of front/rear suspesion components,the ruggedness of the older front ends,of which I have no knowledge.Especially compared to the newer forks.Im just curious,anyone ever considered this conversion or have any thoughts on the subject

Jon

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 05:13:06 am
Could be done you might have to make up some steering head bearing cups and/or
modify the fork stem. A competant chop builder could probably do it.You might even
find a set of prewar Enfield girders if you search hard enough.

A girder front end with a swinging arm rear isn't unheard of but I can't think of
a good technical reason for doing it. I guess in this instance you are approching
it from the motorcycle as an art form angle?

scooberton

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 06:47:45 pm
Bingo!! purely easthetic,furthering the retro character of the bike.Im just wondering how such a component of "ancient design" would compare to its descendent in the area of reliability or ruggedness and overal performance?Anybody know of an unemployed mechanical engineer who might like a small challenge?