Author Topic: Oil circulation sight window Question  (Read 1943 times)

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
on: November 19, 2014, 04:02:05 pm
The splice-in sight glass is a novel idea, however, What amount of FLOW is typical for "proper" lube & COOLING for the 500cc iron barrel engines?
  Any chance someone could post a video of a "known good" iron barrel running with acceptable oil FLOW and a banjo bolt cracked open for a few moments to get a VISUAL of that? A slow dribble with constant air bubbles flowing may not be sufficient. Thanks Everyone, R.Tillery 
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 04:21:10 pm
6cc per 12 rpm is the pump output. It's a double acting piston pump with 3cc volume, and pumps on up stroke and down stroke, geared to make a full revolution for each 12 rpm.
A slow dribble with oil bubbles is all that is needed at idle. If you can see it coming out from the loose banjo fitting when you loosen it, it is working.
It will circulate 498cc per minute at 1000 rpm. There will always be air in the oil to the head, because in a dry sump system the return pump always pumps more than the feed pump in order to be able to clear any wet-sump condition.

The Bullet is an air cooled engine. The oil plays only a small part in this engine's cooling.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:28:45 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 03:23:09 pm
Hmm, so @ an idle & parked, mains, rod & moving lower end clearances are all displaced/lubed by oil from rear pump with the larger piston while everything below the piston rings in the cylinder gets splashed. The rocker block assemblies, pushrods, lifters etc.  gets an aerated dribble from the pump in the front with the smaller piston & returns to sump.
  Yup, right you are, not a lot of cooling efficiency there through internal oil circulation, but obviously enough reliability to keep these babies in production for almost a century.
  Thanks for your input & for being a "sounding board" for me to kinda "air out" my thoughts.  R.Tillery

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 03:40:46 pm
R,
A couple of clarifications.
The rear(feed) pump has the smaller piston, and the front(return) pump has the larger piston. Dry sumps need more pump capacity in the return circuit to clear any wet-sumped conditions.
The only things directly fed by the pumps are the rod bearing and the rocker arms.
The feed pump delivers the oil only to the rod bearing, and the oil slung out from there performs splash-oiling of the main bearings and cylinder/piston/rings.
Then the return pump picks up the oil as it runs down into the bottom of the sump, and pumps it up to the rockers, and then it slings out from there and splash-oils the valve/springs and pushrod, and runs down the pushrod tunnels on to the tappets. It then drains thru the tappets and the drain holes next to the tappets, and collects inside the timing chest, where it bathes everything in there, and when the oil level in the timing chest reaches the return hole  behind the distributor drive gear, it runs thru that hole into the oil tank to start its  cycle over again.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 04:33:38 pm
Well, I,ve studied the wrong oil route diagram, it was the only one I could locate without an elevated aux. oil tank. That is some important info you just gave me, though I'm not sure it's possible for "even me" to mix those oil pump disc sets up, more likely that I "think" that the rear piston was larger.  The return pump not sending oil through a filter & back to tank/sump like my old triumph puts a bit of a "bend" in my thinkin anyway, I'll git my head wrapped around this powerplant at some point. Thanks again for your patience & time.  R.Tillery