Author Topic: Engine Sproket puller  (Read 5347 times)

gemini641

• Scooter
on: August 08, 2007, 12:43:18 am
I'm waiting for this tool from CMW but am considering making one myself since they're currently out of stock...doesn't look too complicated. (See Sprague clutch woes on this board).

Does anyone know the thread diameter of the holes in the sprocket gear? Looks like maybe a 5 or 6 mm bolt but what thread count?

Tom
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 03:39:36 am by gemini641 »

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 01:01:03 am
I have no idea, but if I didnt get an answer pretty quickly I might consider looking around on the bike for a bolt that I could pull that would fit that hole. If you can get one to fit, a trip to the local hardware store might be all you need to solve your problem. If not, then maybe a trip to the store & a small assortment of cheap bolts to try?

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 03:40:28 am
Tom- have you got the clutch hub broke loose yet? Any time I've worked on mine the clutch was the hard one and they both have to come off at the same time. To pull the clutch hub I remove the center plate and springs, then find a socket that is smaller than the shaft and place it under the plate and tighten the 3 bolts equally.... Voila- a puller. the gears on the output shaft have always slid off for me, O sideplay in the primary chain holds it on so you have to remove both at the same time.    - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

gemini641

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 03:47:33 am
Mike,

I have the clutch center puller and shouldn't have any trouble getting the plate off. I just assumed that since the bike is new, the output shaft sproket gear will be pressed on pretty tight. I'll try with just the clutch puller and see what happens.
Thanks,
Tom

And thanks, Justin, I may try that if I can't get it off.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 04:37:07 am
er, why are U doing this ???

FiferWD

• Scooter
  • Happiness is a warm Bullet
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 07:03:49 pm
Does anyone know the thread diameter of the holes in the sprocket gear? Looks like maybe a 5 or 6 mm bolt but what thread count?

Tom

If you don't mind waiting a day, I can check when I get home.  I happen to have a spare 17 tooth sprocket in my parts bin
Yrs,
Bill

gemini641

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 03:27:39 am
Thanks, Bill, but I guess I won't need it. CMW shipped the tool yesterday and it should be here Monday.

Tom