Author Topic: C5 Query about electrics.  (Read 8652 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 10:15:11 pm
  I'm pretty sure i have a 5 wire relay Singh..... I'll check it when i get home.     Two wires for the coil, one to the battery, one to the starter and a red wire for supplying the fuses. That would be the wire that is at the relay for a battery connection, instead of right the the battery positive.

Do you have a picture of this red wire connecting to the fuses - where is this connection on the bike - may be hiding behind battery ?

Moreover circuit diagram shows only 4 wires on the starter relay. Their is no fifth wire leaving starter solenoid in any wiring diagram that I have seen. RE diagrams can be only suggestions..... but still this thing missing completely ...... 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:43:12 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 02:09:14 am
Singhg5 - you are correct about everything you said about my experience.  To be honest, I couldn't quite follow your description as I am currently asleep on my feet after a long drive to Philadelphia to attend my grandmother's funeral - she lived to 101 years old!

My problem was, all the 5 wires on my OEM relay disappeared into some sort of hard bedding compound which completely hid all the connections.  As it turned out, the red wire was the supplying the fuses, connected to the battery cable at the relay instead of somewhere else.  The diagram does indeed not accurately show the actual hookup of the wires.  I used a 4-connector relay, and attached the small red wire to the same large battery cable lead which runs right to the positive battery terminal.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 04:26:55 am
   Here ya go. Not the best picture, but you get the idea.   5 wire relay.... blue and white trigger or coil wires, brown wire to starter, heavy red wire to battery. And right along side the heavy red wire, is a much smaller gauge wire.   That small red wire use to feed the fuses,  you can see it disconnected in the pic.  I replaced it with a 12 gauge  wire right to the battery positive.

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 04:56:16 am
That small red wire use to feed the fuses,  you can see it disconnected in the pic.  I replaced it with a 12 gauge  wire right to the battery positive.

I am not sure I understand the meaning of 'to feed fuses' the way this wire is connected.

Which fuses is it feeding, the ones in the circuit diagram ?

If this fifth red wire FROM solenoid is directly connected to battery positive post, how does this feed fuses ?

Can you draw on the circuit diagram this extra wire starting from solenoid to its final connections so that I may have some visual to go by.

One good diagram will clear this ambiguity, much better than a hundred words  ;).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 05:14:00 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 05:30:43 am
  OK I will, but I'm tired right now  ;)  ;D   But in the mean time....    The heavy red wire brings power to the relay from the positive battery post.  Inside that relay and buried in the resin, there is a smaller red wire that makes contact and must be tied into that heavy red wire.    From THAT connection..... and instead of it being connected  directly to the positive battery post. The Small red wire runs to one side of the main fuse. THEN.... on the other side of the main fuse, the wire branches and feeds the other two fuses.... THEN..... out of the other side of the two other fuses the circuits are fed.     

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 07, 2014, 05:51:27 am
   The heavy red wire brings power to the relay from the positive battery post.  Inside that relay and buried in the resin, there is a smaller red wire that makes contact and must be tied into that heavy red wire.

FINALLY ! Some clarity  :)

This small red wire sticking out of solenoid is getting power FROM HEAVY RED WIRE, via a hidden connection between the two, inside the body of solenoid. The secret is revealed.

So this small red wire (sticking out of relay) is HOT the moment heavy red wire is connected to battery positive.

If it were so, then there will be no need of another small red wire that leaves positive battery post of my G5, as shown in one of the pictures posted earlier. Also the circuit diagram will need to be corrected to remove that portion of wire which starts from battery.  (PS - can't remove this small portion because it is connected to RR on other end, so it charges battery).

I think I get it now.  THANKS, GHG !!   
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 03:09:03 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #21 on: November 07, 2014, 11:50:44 am
What's a-matter?

all the 5 wires on my OEM relay disappeared into some sort of hard bedding compound which completely hid all the connections.  As it turned out, the red wire was the supplying the fuses, connected to the battery cable at the relay instead of somewhere else.

wasn't clear enough for ya?!?

Just kidding - GHG put it right... I guess I was more tired than he was!  ;)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 01:37:05 pm
   I think we were ALL tired last night !  ;)  And My condolences Matt .

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 07, 2014, 02:22:27 pm
What's a-matter?

wasn't clear enough for ya?!?

Just kidding - GHG put it right... I guess I was more tired than he was!  ;)

Yah..... I ask myself what is the matter with me :D !

I think we were ALL tired last night !  ;)  And My condolences Matt .

It was very late, we were pretty sleepy and tired.

Have a good day and weekend guys !   
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #24 on: November 07, 2014, 05:06:10 pm
My Condolonces to you Mattz, 101 yearsisan awesome landmark glad you got to enjoy her ... I got tired just reading the issue till it got resolved finally.. :)
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 11:55:11 pm
Great pictures of five wire solenoid taken apart by Ryanof, another Forum member, that show the configuration of wires hidden inside the body of starter relay. 

Happy :) !
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 12:00:36 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #26 on: November 09, 2014, 12:05:27 am
re. condolences:

Thanks guys!  She had a great life, and was a great grandmother (and a great-grandmother!).  It was not a sorrowful occasion!

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: November 09, 2014, 12:28:21 am
sorry to hear of your loss. on the other hand at 101 what a span of history - cars/moonwalk/computers/ internet etc etc -list goes on and on.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: November 09, 2014, 12:42:10 am
re. condolences:

Thanks guys!  She had a great life, and was a great grandmother (and a great-grandmother!).  It was not a sorrowful occasion!

In this moving wheel of life, we meet as friends, relatives, parents or siblings and then depart - leaving behind memories in the hearts of dear ones. All powerful Time spares no one. My condolences, Matt. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 01:45:15 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: November 09, 2014, 03:49:13 am
  Pretty cool with that relay Singh.    But oh boy..... I don't think THAT one could be fixed !  :o   :P