Author Topic: Wanted : Iron Barrel Bullet!  (Read 11587 times)

MandyMarie

• Scooter
  • Instrumentally yours!
on: November 02, 2014, 02:17:54 am
Hey guys! I'm in Austin, Texas and I've been desperately looking for an Iron Barrel - if you have anything, see anything, or hear of anything, PLEASE keep on mind! I'd be forever grateful - I'm looking for something to tinker with and I'm embarrassingly excited. Thank you for your time, my friends!
I'm just learning about motorbikes and motorbike engines; please be patient with me as I embrace this new obsession! And, I'm not a cheapskate...I just play music for a living, so I'm poor. There's a difference! ;-)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 02:25:24 am
Weren't you shopping last year?

David Blasco's "Royal Enfield Motorcycles" blog shows RE's for sale around the country - changed and updated often, I think.  Worth a look...

http://www.royalenfields.com/

MandyMarie

• Scooter
  • Instrumentally yours!
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 03:17:17 am
Thanks, hunny! I was shopping last year (you made my day by remembering) and I let that one go and am on the hunt for another. If it's a good enough deal, I'm more than willing to drive a thousand miles or so to grab it - my husband and I are both musicians so we can make it work with out schedule and I'd LOVE to show my husband this country of ours (he's a Brit). Appreciate the link and appreciate your time xo
I'm just learning about motorbikes and motorbike engines; please be patient with me as I embrace this new obsession! And, I'm not a cheapskate...I just play music for a living, so I'm poor. There's a difference! ;-)

MandyMarie

• Scooter
  • Instrumentally yours!
Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 03:20:58 am
I just realized we snagged our first iron barrel RE in late April of 2013....I've learned so much since then! I'm NO WHERE NEAR you guys, but I'm so proud of how far I've come since then!

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 04:13:20 am
How about an IB clubman in Austin?
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4738983792.html

It sure looks nice!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 08:28:12 am

That is a nice bike, but idk about $5K.  There are a lot of inaccuracies in the description of the bike to try and boast "its rareness abd authenticity".  For instance, the seller claims that the Continental cafe kit is no longer available.  That's bs.
How about an IB clubman in Austin?
It sure looks nice!
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 11:11:15 am
People will say anything to make a sale.  Personally, I would wonder about whether a "cafe racer" with less than 500 miles and two owners was carefully broken in.

Seller is willing to trade it for a Thruxton!  That's funny...

I troll Blasco's site occasionally, looking for cheap iron barrel models, dreaming of a teardown and Fireball rebuild - just dreaming, though.  I look for the under $2k bikes.  If you really do want to tinker, deals should be out there...

Possible $3K lead in FL? http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/4693074255.html.  But again, it only has 442 miles, and the owner knows it "has plenty of speed to take on the highway."  Really?  Huh.  Was it broken in carefully?  Or just broken?

Another $3K, looks-nice in GA, but looks can be deceiving: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/mcy/4639718443.html.  White is kind of unusual, not everyone's cup'a tea...

MandyMarie

• Scooter
  • Instrumentally yours!
Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 01:15:29 pm
You guys are just the best!!!

I've been staring at Craigslist and seen that one. I also found that little Triumph Tiger that looks like a flattracker. I'm going to look at the other Enfields you've found while I make breakfast. Thank you for your time, appreciate it so much.

With winter coming on, is this a better time to buy? Please say yes because I've been looking all summer/fall and we haven't found anything :(

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 02:22:23 pm
MandyMarie - being a somewhat erstwhile musician myself, I'm always interested in what other inmates are into.  Do you have a web presence?  If so, why not PM me a link...

MandyMarie

• Scooter
  • Instrumentally yours!
Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 11:15:18 pm
Hey Matt, thanks so much for asking my friend! I'm in a goofy rockabilly band called Mandy Marie and the Cool Hand Lukes, if you do a Google search for us you'll find some junk :)

Tell me about YOU!!!

There's something about old bikes and music - they just fit together, don't they? :) I want something so bad I can hardly stand it. Thanks again!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 12:16:29 am
I'll check it out!

Meanwhile, while we're all hanging out, do you mind if I ask: what happened to your first RE - why'd you let it go?

Feel free to tell me to feck-off any time you like...  ;)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 12:46:13 am
A few of us on here are musicians.  Samgar is in a metal band and I used to do vocals for a grind core band back in Wisconsin.  I'd like to get back into music but haven't done much since I moved to Denver.  I did guest vocals on my friends CD when I first moved here.  Funny thing about that is I layed down the vocal tracks the morning after I met him before the song was actually written.  :)

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 01:15:31 am
This seems reasonable:

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/4688399564.html

And negotiable. 

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 02:01:23 am
This seems reasonable:

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/4688399564.html

And negotiable.

Ooh!   That one is perfect for you Mandy!

MandyMarie

• Scooter
  • Instrumentally yours!
Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 02:11:35 am
Holy hell, you guys are amazing!!! I'm going to call about that Tulsa bike first thing in the morning...I'll spend the evening buttering up my husband!

My first one taught me a very simple question I guess you need to ask before buying a used bike : "has it been dropped?" The frame was twisted - it RODE fine (keep in mind how little I know about motorbikes *blush*) but the rear tire wasn't spinning as freely as it should. I'd much rather forget all about that little fiasco and start new - so excited to get something and extremely excited to listen to you guys' bands!!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 02:21:37 am
... the problem with buying used.

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 10:38:59 am
Glad your looking into a IB Bullet, I am also a musician and have actually rocked up to a gig on my bike, bass on my back (My drummer had my amp and cab) with many praises and odd looks at traffic lights!

Give us a sample of your musics :P
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

MandyMarie

• Scooter
  • Instrumentally yours!
Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 12:04:48 pm
That Tulsa bike has been sold and I'm so bummed - that was downright perfect. Under $2,000 and the only thing I'd want to swap is the seat - that's a STEAL. So bummed!

You guys are totally making my day with the music! I'm kinda shy about that stuff, if you Google Mandy Marie and the Cool Hand Lukes you'll find some music if you really want to and aren't just being sweet. We play rockabilly and Western swing and that kinda stuff though so no guarantees that you'll like it - but I do play lead guitar (we have about 20,000 Telecasters!) and I love it like I love breathing air. I started playing three nights a week in my dad's band when I was 13 and it's just got my number!

I love the idea of you riding to a gig! We live outside of Austin on the historic main street of a tiny town in a 1901 building - my plan is to just ride this thing around my tiny town and through the Texas countryside. A pretty serious wreck has me too chicken to get on the interstate so all of the complaints you'll hear from the average person about our beloved Royal Oilfield's won't really apply to me as I just want to enjoy the thang. We have a Harley parked in our living room (it's not mine!) and I can't wait until there's a little Enfield of my own keeping it company. I've always wanted to have a bike in the house, dream come true. Now to find the bike and learn as much as I can! Thank you guys for being so sweet to me, I appreciate it more than I can say.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:08:35 pm by MandyMarie »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 12:10:18 pm
Here's the latest thing I've done.  This is my friend John's solo project.  He recorded and wrote damn near everything himself.  A few guest vocals on different songs, and our friend Jeremiah wrote some of the guitar tracks.  I'm on the 2nd track here "Wake up, Wish I Was Dead".  I do all the monster vocals.  ;D

https://myspace.com/ouigee/music/songs

Here's some old stuff from our CD release party like 8 years ago.  If you look carefully, you can see my Mom in the mosh pit.  She's awesome.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSgLDmd2akE&list=UUAOCXJzzC9ulogL0doqcLjQ
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:17:21 pm by High On Octane »

MandyMarie

• Scooter
  • Instrumentally yours!
Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 11:39:57 pm
This is so cool, thanks for sharing!!! How freaking amazing is your mom????

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 01:34:48 am
She is pretty amazing for sure!  :D  She doesn't even really like metal, but she loves me and used to come to quite a few of my shows.  :)

MandyMarie

• Scooter
  • Instrumentally yours!
Reply #21 on: November 04, 2014, 02:30:30 pm
I get to Denver every now and then - next time I do, I'm buying you a beer (or a coffee if you're on that gorgeous bike)! Are you familiar with Adam Lopez or Ethyl and the Regulars or Casey James Prestwood and the Burning Angels? Rockabilly may not be your thing at all, but if you don't mind hanging out with a bunch of greasers, check any of them out if you're not already familiar - I sang on Adam's last record and he's a dear pal. Actually, he'll be sleeping on my couch here in Austin again soon! I love Colorado, if love there in a heartbeat if I could find work!

What do you think a good price would be for what I'm looking for, guys? I know you get people (girls especially!) that are all giddy and excited and then they just forget about it...but I've been riding since I was a little kid and I'm dying for another bike that doesn't have any issues that we can't handle.

Here's what I'm wanting :

Something I can LEARN about engines on. I've always loved motorcycles but my Dad took care of all the maintenance when I was young and my husband has taken care of me since. I want to learn on my own and a carbie Enfield seems like the perfect machine because it actually makes SENSE in my head already! I'm not saying I want a huge project, but I'm probably most excited about learning. I play music for a living here in Austin so I have plenty of free time, it's just getting my budget and the market to line up. Can you guys tell me what a decent price would be for what I'm hoping for?

I had a 1958 Cadillac for years and it left me stranded more times than I'm willing to admit, an engine like THAT is way too complicated for me, but an Enfield engine gets my blood boiling. I want to do stuff :(

Visually, I'm probably going to want to change things anyway, so it doesn't need to be perfect by any means, I just want a rust free tank, a rear wheel that spins freely, a straight frame, and an engine that isn't locked up. Realistically, what should I plan on spending?

I sincerely appreciate you so much. I cannot believe how friendly you guys are. I want to hug you!!!

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 03:49:33 pm
Your Caddy was a beautiful car :D. Don't get down, you'll find a  nice Bullet eventually. I looked for a couple of years before I finally found mine. ;)

MandyMarie

• Scooter
  • Instrumentally yours!
Reply #23 on: November 05, 2014, 04:27:21 pm
Thanks so much, man! I LOVED that car as much as I love life :):):)

I'll be honest and admit that patience is a virtue and one I totally ain't got. I'm mad with motorbike excitement. I've been looking off and on and I'm just dying for one now that colder weather will be keeping us indoors more.

Congrats on your baby, my friend!!

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 08:52:04 pm
Thanks so much, man! I LOVED that car as much as I love life :):):)

I'll be honest and admit that patience is a virtue and one I totally ain't got. I'm mad with motorbike excitement. I've been looking off and on and I'm just dying for one now that colder weather will be keeping us indoors more.

Congrats on your baby, my friend!!
Thanks, I love My Bullet its a IB 07 Red Dlx. I can remember riding on the center armrest of My Dads 57 Sedan De Ville when I was in grade school in the 60's, it was a very cool car 8). Light pink with a white top. My Dad called the color.. umm ::), Ti##y Pink.. LOL  ;D. The only problems He ever had with it was with the "Wonder Bar" radio. The 1st signal seeking radios.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:59:31 pm by motorman2whel »

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 09:11:41 pm
This was the color & year but it was a Sedan not a Coupe & didn't have the wire wheels. I loved that car.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 02:01:29 am
I've heard of a couple of those bands but haven't listened to them.  I do like rockabilly tho, especially Johnny Cash and Reverend Horton Heat.  Yeah let me know next time you're in Denver.  Go grab a beer at a dive bar on Colfax.  :)

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 06:04:22 am
Hi MandyMarie there is a silver IB on e-bay, it looks very clean, maybe in need of some alum polish, low miles with a buy it now for 2300$. It's not real close but not super far depending where you are in Tx.  Tell the hubby it would be a GREAT early Christmas present ;) . http://www.ebay.com/itm/Royal-Enfield-2002-royal-enfield-bullett-500-500-es-silver-only-3308-miles-/201210208201?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2ed9101fc9&item=201210208201&pt=US_motorcycles
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 06:16:24 am by motorman2whel »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: November 08, 2014, 02:22:59 pm
That prices pretty fair.  Only crappy part is that it is listed on Ebay, so there is no haggling the price.  If you can buy it, go inspect it BEFORE PAYING for it, I'd say go for it.  But I'm always skeptical about buying vehicles without looking at them in person or hearing them run.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #29 on: November 08, 2014, 03:19:04 pm
Another silver one, in Iowa, $2800:

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/mcd/4748073941.html

And in PA - my favorite green, $3K:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/4744628250.html

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #30 on: November 08, 2014, 06:36:34 pm
Funny how both silver ones don't have a battery cover ? :o .. lol . I have bought quite a few vehicles on e-bay and Cycle/Car Trader online with very good results, but they all were from established dealers not individuals. On e-bay you can look at the sellers rating to get some idea of integrity, they also have vehicle purchase protection but I've never used it and don't know how it works.

MandyMarie

• Scooter
  • Instrumentally yours!
Reply #31 on: November 09, 2014, 05:11:48 am
I wrote in to the seller of the silver one on eBay when it was listed the first time and asked a few simple questions about the bike, but they never got back with me. I like that bike and I sure like the price! I appreciate you thinking of me, darlin'!

I'm off to peek at these Craigslist Enfields - you guys are sincerely the BEST!

I'm attaching a photo of my old Caddy. I love those things like I love breathing air and I sort of grew up with that car. Looking forward to all of the same experiences with an Enfield......every unexpected break down is a story IMO. I've always been a sucker for character and a glutton for punishment ;-)

Thanks again for being so awesome!!

MandyMarie

• Scooter
  • Instrumentally yours!
Reply #32 on: November 09, 2014, 05:14:26 am
Awwwww man....visually that British racing green bike is my idea of perfection.

.......I'm calling about that one in the morning - good excuse to visit some friends!

MandyMarie

• Scooter
  • Instrumentally yours!
Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 11:57:02 pm
That beauty in PA is gone sadly....I was already working out a route to go grab that one - it was downright PERFECT, PERFECT, PERFECT.

My local Enfield dealer is doing a Black Friday sale......sure I just grab a new one, guys? :(

Would I still be able to work on that myself? I know it sounds silly, but I'm taking a single cylinder class right now and I love the idea of being able to tinker and learn on my own.....I'm just getting inpatient.

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: November 11, 2014, 01:11:37 am
On a new bike you would only need to do maintenance while under warranty. With fuel injection you cant do much unless you added a Power Commander then you could tweak it with a laptop. No valves to adjust either as the new bikes have hydraulic lifters. No points to change or adjust. Just engine oil & filters, chain adjustment & lube, cable adjustments, rear brake adjustments. You could still make custom changes to the style and personalize, things like that. I guess it comes down to would you rather tinker & repair more than mostly just ride worry free while under warranty ?. There is always a plus knowing your the 1st owner too ;) .
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 01:13:48 am by motorman2whel »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #35 on: November 12, 2014, 04:53:37 am
Yah.  There's not much to do on the new UCE's that motorman2whel didn't cover.

Oh, you could take off the cover on the side of the cylinder to look at the valve lifters and the bottom of the pushrods but because there is nothing to adjust, after doing that you would put the cover back on and say, "Well, that looked OK."

Of course there are a few things many of us think need doing.
Replacing the stock spark plug with a NGK BPR6ES or BPR6EIX. (Make sure it has a screw on top).
Removing the headlight jumper wire in the casquette so the light switch actually works.
Disconnecting the side stand safety kill switch.
Replacing that funny little 5 3/4" headlight with a real 7 inch bulb and rims.
Changing the silencer for one that looks more correct and weighs 7 or so pounds less than the OEM silencer.
Replacing the front disk brake pads with some high performance pads.
Replace the small light bulbs with LED's.
Replace the air cleaner with a K&N.  (Didn't help my 2011 G5 but others think it does)
Replace the crappy OEM chain with a good Japanese or USA made chain.
Replace the tires.
Replace the taillight.
Replace the plastic DOT turn signals with small real metal Bullet turn signals.
Mount a chrome "crash bar"
Change the seat for one that is more comfortable.
Add a pillion seat or luggage rack.
Paint the cast in RE logo's on the engine black or red.
and the list goes on. :)

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

MandyMarie

• Scooter
  • Instrumentally yours!
Reply #36 on: November 12, 2014, 02:31:12 pm
Hahaha I appreciate you guys so much. You really are the best!