Author Topic: Wanted : Iron Barrel Bullet!  (Read 11598 times)

MandyMarie

• Scooter
  • Instrumentally yours!
on: November 02, 2014, 02:17:54 am
Hey guys! I'm in Austin, Texas and I've been desperately looking for an Iron Barrel - if you have anything, see anything, or hear of anything, PLEASE keep on mind! I'd be forever grateful - I'm looking for something to tinker with and I'm embarrassingly excited. Thank you for your time, my friends!
I'm just learning about motorbikes and motorbike engines; please be patient with me as I embrace this new obsession! And, I'm not a cheapskate...I just play music for a living, so I'm poor. There's a difference! ;-)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 02:25:24 am
Weren't you shopping last year?

David Blasco's "Royal Enfield Motorcycles" blog shows RE's for sale around the country - changed and updated often, I think.  Worth a look...

http://www.royalenfields.com/

MandyMarie

• Scooter
  • Instrumentally yours!
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 03:17:17 am
Thanks, hunny! I was shopping last year (you made my day by remembering) and I let that one go and am on the hunt for another. If it's a good enough deal, I'm more than willing to drive a thousand miles or so to grab it - my husband and I are both musicians so we can make it work with out schedule and I'd LOVE to show my husband this country of ours (he's a Brit). Appreciate the link and appreciate your time xo
I'm just learning about motorbikes and motorbike engines; please be patient with me as I embrace this new obsession! And, I'm not a cheapskate...I just play music for a living, so I'm poor. There's a difference! ;-)

MandyMarie

• Scooter
  • Instrumentally yours!
Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 03:20:58 am
I just realized we snagged our first iron barrel RE in late April of 2013....I've learned so much since then! I'm NO WHERE NEAR you guys, but I'm so proud of how far I've come since then!

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 04:13:20 am
How about an IB clubman in Austin?
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4738983792.html

It sure looks nice!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 08:28:12 am

That is a nice bike, but idk about $5K.  There are a lot of inaccuracies in the description of the bike to try and boast "its rareness abd authenticity".  For instance, the seller claims that the Continental cafe kit is no longer available.  That's bs.
How about an IB clubman in Austin?
It sure looks nice!
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 11:11:15 am
People will say anything to make a sale.  Personally, I would wonder about whether a "cafe racer" with less than 500 miles and two owners was carefully broken in.

Seller is willing to trade it for a Thruxton!  That's funny...

I troll Blasco's site occasionally, looking for cheap iron barrel models, dreaming of a teardown and Fireball rebuild - just dreaming, though.  I look for the under $2k bikes.  If you really do want to tinker, deals should be out there...

Possible $3K lead in FL? http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/4693074255.html.  But again, it only has 442 miles, and the owner knows it "has plenty of speed to take on the highway."  Really?  Huh.  Was it broken in carefully?  Or just broken?

Another $3K, looks-nice in GA, but looks can be deceiving: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/mcy/4639718443.html.  White is kind of unusual, not everyone's cup'a tea...

MandyMarie

• Scooter
  • Instrumentally yours!
Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 01:15:29 pm
You guys are just the best!!!

I've been staring at Craigslist and seen that one. I also found that little Triumph Tiger that looks like a flattracker. I'm going to look at the other Enfields you've found while I make breakfast. Thank you for your time, appreciate it so much.

With winter coming on, is this a better time to buy? Please say yes because I've been looking all summer/fall and we haven't found anything :(

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 02:22:23 pm
MandyMarie - being a somewhat erstwhile musician myself, I'm always interested in what other inmates are into.  Do you have a web presence?  If so, why not PM me a link...

MandyMarie

• Scooter
  • Instrumentally yours!
Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 11:15:18 pm
Hey Matt, thanks so much for asking my friend! I'm in a goofy rockabilly band called Mandy Marie and the Cool Hand Lukes, if you do a Google search for us you'll find some junk :)

Tell me about YOU!!!

There's something about old bikes and music - they just fit together, don't they? :) I want something so bad I can hardly stand it. Thanks again!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 12:16:29 am
I'll check it out!

Meanwhile, while we're all hanging out, do you mind if I ask: what happened to your first RE - why'd you let it go?

Feel free to tell me to feck-off any time you like...  ;)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 12:46:13 am
A few of us on here are musicians.  Samgar is in a metal band and I used to do vocals for a grind core band back in Wisconsin.  I'd like to get back into music but haven't done much since I moved to Denver.  I did guest vocals on my friends CD when I first moved here.  Funny thing about that is I layed down the vocal tracks the morning after I met him before the song was actually written.  :)

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 01:15:31 am
This seems reasonable:

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/4688399564.html

And negotiable. 

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 02:01:23 am
This seems reasonable:

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/4688399564.html

And negotiable.

Ooh!   That one is perfect for you Mandy!

MandyMarie

• Scooter
  • Instrumentally yours!
Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 02:11:35 am
Holy hell, you guys are amazing!!! I'm going to call about that Tulsa bike first thing in the morning...I'll spend the evening buttering up my husband!

My first one taught me a very simple question I guess you need to ask before buying a used bike : "has it been dropped?" The frame was twisted - it RODE fine (keep in mind how little I know about motorbikes *blush*) but the rear tire wasn't spinning as freely as it should. I'd much rather forget all about that little fiasco and start new - so excited to get something and extremely excited to listen to you guys' bands!!