Author Topic: Royal Enfield in the US  (Read 4826 times)

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 09:09:23 pm
"It is what it is"  Should be the quote of the RE and especially the C5--If you want high speed try a different machine.  These machines are a time warp with modern mechanics.  A wonderful time machine to relive those days when riding was enjoyable and just plain fun.  AND as for carburetors, I hope I never have to deal with one again.  Just my humble opinion, but I love my new C5.
+1
 ;)

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 03:26:01 pm
"It is what it is"  Should be the quote of the RE and especially the C5--If you want high speed try a different machine.  These machines are a time warp with modern mechanics.  A wonderful time machine to relive those days when riding was enjoyable and just plain fun.  AND as for carburetors, I hope I never have to deal with one again.  Just my humble opinion, but I love my new C5.

+1  People expect way too much from these machines -The only people I know that are disappointed with these bikes bought them to do something they were never designed to do.  I also don't miss screwing around with a carburetor or two
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 01:43:48 am
I don't care anything about sport bike like handling. If it is reasonably safe, it's fine with me. Same thing with the brakes. And I love tinkering with carburetors. I got this bike to ride around locally, at reasonable speeds, enjoying the thumping sound and feel. I knew to begin with I would need to work on it once in a while. I am a VINTAGE vehicle enthusiast, and the only reason I don't own a real vintage British bike is the absurd price tag, and the hard to find parts. The Enfield gives me most of the experience at way less cost. Souless modern bikes just leave me cold. Nothing but transportation appliances. As transportation, they have their purpose. But they are not something I would take out for a leisurely Sunday morning ride.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 06:37:35 am
Interesting article. Sounds like the writer didn't know that there are other RE bikes for sale in North America.

I'm looking forward to see how this new plan develops for RE.

/rant

If it does work as Mr. Copes has planned, then maybe, just maybe we will have easy, reliable, access to parts and accessories for those of us that live a great distance from the existing dealerships. It's sad that for a lot of owners, ordering parts and accessories from a company on the other side of the world through an easy to navigate system takes place.
The exclusivity in North America of "dealer parts only" and having to describe the part you need to someone who more often than not sells the bikes as a sideline hobby to another business, (like the clothing, skateboard and scooter shop in Toronto that is now closed) then wait for them to order the part from the distributor, who then orders it themselves, then wait for it to arrive to them, then it's sent to the dealer, then go pick it up at the dealer.....    Arrrrgh. It would be nice if there was something of a reasonable alternative to picking the exact part you need, ordering it from England and having it in your hands on a few days at a very affordable, tax free, price with limited mark up.
/end rant

Aren't you able to get parts from hitchcocks? They sell every last nut and bolt.

swingarm

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 10:05:22 am
+1 on the parts comment between this site and our hosts, and Hitchcocks there's no shortage of parts and knowledge.

Interesting comment from the sales assistant when I picked up a Bell Bullitt TT helmet on Friday. "Great bikes which some buyers have the wrong expectations for and they end up back on the floor as low mileage trade-ins". Only 10 minutes before I'd seen a black C5 example at a nearby second hand dealer.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 10:18:23 am
swingarm
how much did you pay for the helmet

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 11:40:15 am
Aren't you able to get parts from hitchcocks? They sell every last nut and bolt.

I could be wrong, but I think Desi Bike was wishing for a domestic alternative comparable to Hitchcocks...

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 01:04:11 pm
I could be wrong, but I think Desi Bike was wishing for a domestic alternative comparable to Hitchcocks...
That would be MOST welcome. Between the shipping costs and currency exchange getting parts from them is pricey.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 03:32:02 pm
"I don't own a real vintage British bike is the absurd price tag, and the hard to find parts."
  Agreeing here. It got to the point, that it was like buying jewelry. It wasn't the working man's special anymore. It got like spending on an MV Augusta or something.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

swingarm

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: November 02, 2014, 07:05:13 pm
swingarm
how much did you pay for the helmet

$459 off the shelf. Once I tried it I just wanted it. XL fits me like a glove although removal is a bit rough on the ears because of the lining shape. The bubble visor works well and kind of grows on you.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #25 on: November 02, 2014, 07:54:59 pm
It's a really neat helmet, but doesn't fit me.