Author Topic: One Day Adventure Bike!  (Read 2439 times)

1sogdusm

• Scooter
on: October 25, 2014, 02:14:37 pm
Yesterday a friend and I took a short trip into the Cherokee National Forest for a little dirt/gravel road riding. The weather was fantastic, around 70 degrees as we unloaded the bikes near the Ranger Station on the Ocoee River on Hwy. 64 in Tennessee.  We made our way East on 64 to the Thunder Rock Camp Ground and made the steep climb up for 3 miles on FS 45 to FS 221.  We ended up riding around 75 miles of dirt and gravel roads that varied from mild to a little wild.  Our speeds varied between 10-40 MPH and made for a fantastic day of backwoods riding. My buddy was on a 09 and I rode my 03 military.  The bikes ran great and performed well at all times. The trip would have been uneventful on a modern style dual sport but proved to be a  blast on our old iron. We both decided that the only change we need for now are different tires. We both have stock tires on our bikes and that made the trip that much more interesting at times. We are looking forward to exploring more gravel this Fall and putting our Royal Enfields to good use. I have already started work on a 99 purpose built for greenlane riding! 

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 02:54:27 pm
Cool!  Sounds like Fun!  As for tires, check out the Shinko 705 Trailmasters.  Excellent tires, I highly recommend them.  :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 04:38:35 pm
Sounds like a great time..I was headed back from a mini vacation at Little Switzerland, N.C (Dragon tail/Blue Ridge Parkway ) up Rt 26 to 81 N...Not on a bike this time but I can tell the riding in that area is superior..I met so many riders at the Inn and even a few from Canada who were riding the entire parkway...It's been a great week for all in that neck of the woods....GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

miles44

• Neophyte
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 09:15:04 pm
Sounds fun! Pics? :)

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 03:29:21 pm
I had a set of Shinko 705's on a KTM640 Enduro, they worked great on the street and very good off road as long as it was dry. The only downside is they are only available in 1 size for 19" wheels.  110/80-19 in a radial or bias ply tire. MC superstore has the bias on sale for 49.95 right now. You could go with the classic Dunlop K70's too, they work great on the street and very good off road if its dry. If you plan to do any mud, sand or loose dirt riding a more aggressive dual sport type would do better. But some can sing very loud once worn a bit, I have  some Michelin dot knobbies on a rxv 450 above 40 mph they sound like a monster truck coming down the road. People standing along the roadside snap their head around to see as I go by, expecting to see Bigfoot or Gravedigger...LOL . :D My exhaust is stock & quiet.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 03:39:55 pm by motorman2whel »

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 08:17:50 am
I've used K70s front and rear in ankle high mud once...I was very lost, bike held on alright haha!
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.