Author Topic: List of Items you Carry When Riding  (Read 6221 times)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 03:12:32 pm
Standard tool kit plus one pair of vise grips, spare tire, rain suit and sun screen and of course 2 bungie cords. 

Living in Florida it is either raining or your getting sunburnt.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

RAKe

• You'll Never See a Motorcycle Parked In Front of a Therapist's Office
  • Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 03:56:08 pm
Many good items listed, but one important component is missing in all the lists--DUCT TAPE, which has helped me many times over the years. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 01:34:07 am by RAKe »
196? Triumph 500 (basket case), 1968 BSA 650 (ran, but needed work), 1976 Triumph T140V 750 (ran well -- sometimes), 2004 Harley-Davidson XL883C, 2007 Harley-Davidson FXDB

geoffbaker

Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 09:04:29 pm
I got rid of the standard toolkit and ended up building my own roll of tools.

The standard kit tire irons are useless, throw them away and buy some motionpro tire irons or other good make ... that don't bend like putty!

I carry a small stubby socket wrench, a range of metric and whitworth sockets (maybe 10), some crowsfoot socket heads (1 1/2 and 1 1/16 for main chain gear and wheel bearings)
a 9/10, 11/12 wrench, an adjustable wrench, small vicegrips, a power inflator a screwdriver with multiple heads, motionpro tire levers w 22 socket and 24 socket (w/socket adapter so it makes for a socket wrench with enough leverage for the big jobs like removing the main gear), an electrical tester, elec tape, spoke wrench, small can of WD40, extra tube, a few nuts and bolts, extra bulbs and fuses, duct tape, a few feet of wire (very handy for tying on bits that just broke off).
Most of the tools fit in the toolbag I carry on the front forks; the extra tube and inflator are in my toolbox.
It's overkill. But I've got the room to carry it and it gives me peace of mind.

When doing my regular maintenance in the carport, I seldom need to go and get extra tools, which is a good sign, I think, that I've got most of what I might need for the road.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 05:15:39 pm
Standard tool kit, cell phone( not always in range)  , electricians pocket knife.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

geoffbaker

Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 12:00:03 am
Standard tool kit, cell phone( not always in range)  , electricians pocket knife.

What's an electrician's pocket knife?

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 12:10:49 am
I carry,
cell phone
leatherman pst
masterplastic
extra pack of marlboros
bic lighter in case my zippo dies

A rock and a stick found on side of road will fix most everything else.
Bronson taught me that.
Heck he could rebuild a bottom end, straighten a frame and fill it up with gas with that rock and stick.
What a guy!
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 12:22:41 am
1 - standard tool kit
2 - half-inch Bahco adjustable spanner in left hand coat pocket
3 - leatherman in right hand coat pocket
4 - mobile phone.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #22 on: November 01, 2008, 01:05:38 am

Its a 2 blade pocket knife,
Blade 1) standard utility folding blade
Blade 2) combonation flat tip( common) screw driver/ knife  lock blade.
 You've probably seen one called by a different name.
I believe the knives started to fall out of popularity in the 70,s( at least I don't see them much)
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

geoffbaker

Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 03:36:02 pm

I believe the knives started to fall out of popularity in the 70,s( at least I don't see them much)

Thanks, yeah don't see those much. I should add I carry my Swiss Army knife, which is one of the biggest ones. I got used to it as the ultimate computer tool (phillips and regular screwdriers, with tiny pliers) and have kept it ever since. The only thing I've never used is the fish scaler thing... it has large and small blades, can opener, baler, pen, pin, tweezers, magnifying glass, small pliers, scissors and file.

A couple of years ago I broke the main blade trying to jimmy open a patio door (I was breaking into my own house, in case anyone is wondering)... and I dug up the address of Swiss Army repair and to my surprise and great pleasure they repaired it for free, not even charging me for the shipping! Just a FYI if you break yours...

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #24 on: November 02, 2008, 01:42:40 am

Thanks, yeah don't see those much. I should add I carry my Swiss Army knife, which is one of the biggest ones. I got used to it as the ultimate computer tool (phillips and regular screwdriers, with tiny pliers) and have kept it ever since. The only thing I've never used is the fish scaler thing... it has large and small blades, can opener, baler, pen, pin, tweezers, magnifying glass, small pliers, scissors and file.

A couple of years ago I broke the main blade trying to jimmy open a patio door (I was breaking into my own house, in case anyone is wondering)... and I dug up the address of Swiss Army repair and to my surprise and great pleasure they repaired it for free, not even charging me for the shipping! Just a FYI if you break yours...

And in you spare time you can play MacGyver.  Talking about a one tool for all jobs, he could use that baby for anything.  Jump start an airplane, no problem, open a safe, no problem.  Macs knife never broke...his must have been a better grade of steel than yours Geoff.  No seriously I still have one from the days of the Gulf War, I think we all bought one they are handy little devils, but slightly bulky,

I guess I can't add anything of real value to the tool list, maybe an extra spark plug and tune-up kit and set of feeler gauges.  That was always a necessity on my old triumphs.  I think I also carried a coil, but I haven't had any misery out of mine yet.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

LJRead

Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 05:29:14 am
Just removed my rear wheel because of broken spokes.  The process is a real eye opener because I realized how impossible it would have been to remove the tire out in the field.  It is good to carry a spare inner tube, but would you have the tools needed to put it on?  I found an old Craftsman tire bar with the flattened ends, and cut it in two to give me two eight inch tire irons.  A little heavy, but easy to use as I found when I took or and replaced the tire.  I'm going to rethink my tool selection in view of possible flat tires.