Author Topic: European & Vintage rally in the Texas Hill Country  (Read 1392 times)

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
on: October 22, 2014, 11:53:36 pm
Hello all,  I had a recent experience when I took the 56 Enfield to the Vintage rally in Luckenbach Texas.  Carried the bike in my truck bed the 250 miles.  Offloaded and had a great ride day of 50 miles on Saturday morning.  Rode to the rally site and entered the bike in the show.  50-59 year models.  Lined up next to a 59 BMW.  While I was browsing the hundreds of bikes on display back to 1917, I came back to mine and the BMW owner said his bike fell over into my and damaged the gas tank and front fender.  Yes, it did,  I found a dent, scratch into the metal on both the tank and fender.  He said he would split the costs of repair and that's all he would agree to?  Got his contact info out of Austin.  I'm home now getting an estimate of repair for mine and will send it to him for payment.  Not sure what the outcome will be.  He may flake out on me entirely...  May have to get my firefighter son and a few of his pals who live in Austin to pay him a personal visit.  Lol.  Guy said the bike just fell over, no one tampered with it, no one standing next to it!   I later found out the guy kickstarted his bike about 10-15 minutes prior to the incident.  Something he did not share with me.  This vintage BMW has the kick starter on the left side and is levered from the side only not by straddling the bike.  Moves down and through perpendicular away from the bike.  Guy who was on my other side with a bike said it may have tilted the bike off the center stand just enough to than later fall to it's left side from a depression in the grass.  My gas tank is customized and one off, hand formed.  May have to be completely redone.  Darn the bad luck. 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 12:18:33 pm
Screw that dude.  Go thru insurance, that's what it is for.  Sorry for the bad luck.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 09:48:38 pm
Not surprising, the guy has not replied to my latest text message.  I gave him a quoted cost of $500.  No reply in 5 days.   I think I lost his attention.  I have my own liability, he may not.  I can get it done for 1/2 of that so chalk it up to learned experience.  When at a rally, ask the biker next to you if they have insurance.  Let me know how that works out. 
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 11:06:34 am
It's not too late to file a police report.  Did you get pics of everything?
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 11:01:54 pm
It's not too late to file a police report.  Did you get pics of everything?

I have photos of my bike only.  Not his.  He had a scratch and a torn seat cover.  He sent me a note yesterday and said he was laid off work this week.  Was not sure what's next.  I will pull the parts off and drop them over to a tech that will repair and refinish.