Author Topic: Oil dribbling  (Read 5045 times)

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
on: October 18, 2014, 12:24:11 pm
Ok, so my 2014 has been leaking oil since I've gotten it.  At first I thought the seals just needed seated but now with over 2500 miles on the clock it seems to only be getting worse.  It will spot a little bit after most rides, but if I let it sit for a week or so then about the size of a dollar bill leaks out on the floor.  I've told the dealer about it twice and the first time they said they didn't notice anything (300 mile service) and the second time they said that it is normal for bikes to burp a little bit from time to time.  Is this the case?  I was lead to believe that the UCE motor is not prone to these sorts of things.  Not sure what to do or even what could be causing it.  Many times when I look at the drain plug there seems to be a small drop of oil hanging off of it, but I never see any actually leaking out.  Any ideas on what I should do, or what could be wrong? 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 12:56:06 pm by Manatoc fox »
2014 Royal Enfield Military-"Thumper" to his friends

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 12:55:59 pm
 If you can work out where it's coming from it helps . But resist the urge to over tighten the sump plug or filter cover retaining nuts . Maybe next oil change use a little sealing compound around the washer and/ or bolts.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 12:57:02 pm
I'm not over tightening them I don't think.  It seems like maybe a gasket or something is bad.  What kind of sealing compound?

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 01:23:24 pm
I've just been using a tiny smear of garden variety silicone sealant and it works fine for me . I got my bike second hand and it came with stripped sump plug threads . So I used silicon . I've since put in a thread insert , and use a rubber washer with a thin metal one against the sump plug in place  of the aluminium one supplied . The rubber compresses up against the case and a smear of silicone between the plug and the metal washer completes the seal .
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 04:53:24 pm
2014??? - This is absolutely a warranty issue if it is coming from anywhere other than the drain plug.  My 2014 doesn't leak a drop from anywhere.

When I change the oil I ensure that I use a new crush washer each time- cheap insurance to prevent seeps and leaks.

If it is coming from the drain plug and your dealer changed the oil, I would take it back to them.  If your dealer won't acknowledge this as a issue, it is time to find another RE dealer.

These bike don't leak unless something isn't correct.
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 05:32:23 pm
     Most leaks are from over filling the crankcase. The oil level should show at the bottom of the window. If you are topping off the oil to the top of the window crankcase pressure will blow it into the air box and past every seal.
     Another potential issue is the kick start shaft seal. This seal is mounted in a plate that bolts to the crankcase with four screws. This plate is just under the front sprocket. The machining process is not quite true, so the plate is off center to the shaft. The fix is to elongate the screw holes to allow you to center the seal on the shaft with no side load on the seal.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 07:19:49 pm
My 2010 G5 Deluxe is completely oil tight even using slippery Mobil 1. This was not always the case, I had several leaks when I got it, Sump, Oil Filter Cover, Oil fouled Air Cleaner & Airbox.
SOLUTION: Silicone sealant on Sump threads & behind oil filter cover. I rerouted the crankcase breather hose via a longer hose, over & to the end of the rear fender (any over filled oil can escape this way) Just like the 1960's Brit bikes did. Recently when we moved, I needed to park the G5 in our entrance hall & living room - not a drop on the white tile floor. My wife even got to bond with it, Ha!
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 07:33:09 pm
The first source to check, if the oil is showing up below the gearbox sprocket area, is chain lube. These bikes will collect chain lube on the case in front of the sprocket and it will drip off. A lot of people have had the issue. Get a better chain lube, PJ1 Blue doesn't drip off like a lot of others.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 07:41:23 pm
Which model, B5, C5 or G5?  Have you looked in the air cleaner?  If it's in the air cleaner it's probably a tad overfilled and blowing out into there.  It is not normal for these bikes to leak.

If you can't isolate where it's coming from, where is the puddle  on the floor?  Right, left, front, back?

Scott

adi-4004

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 08:45:09 pm
My 2014 C5 does not leak.
New York Metropolitan Area

2014 C5 Military Green

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 01:15:18 am
My 2014 C5 had no leaks till the 1st service  >:( now has a weep down one of the little bolts on the sump filter (? the one on the sump belly) plate - reluctant to dump oil that is only 300km old, so dealer gave me another O ring for when I change - they told me O ring maybe a little "thin" - so will try some O ring selant from the Spa / Pool as well, and not over tighten
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 05:25:34 am
The O-ring at that location is in a "face seal" design.

Most of the ring sits down inside the groove with only a very small amount above the metal face of the cover.
If there was any dirt at all on the face of the engine housing or the cover where the two meet it could have been enough to cause a slow leak.

At your next oil change, if you decide to replace the O-ring be very careful not to nick or scratch the edge of the groove or any other place on the covers sealing face.

Even a small nick can raise enough metal around it to act just like a piece of dirt or grit.  If this happens, the O-ring will again refuse to seal the joint.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 05:34:45 am
Advice appreciated :)
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 04:52:34 pm
First Service?  :o
The dealer must not be worth shyte, giving you an o-ring instead of fixing it himself.
Kind of like the kid at Burger King who handed me a slice of cheese when I pointed out I'd ordered a cheeseburger.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 08:13:14 pm
The small seepage could just be from the oil from the change in the threads of the screw. A small amount of oil trapped in the threads of either the screw or the block would slowly work its way out. The screw is outside of the o-ring area.
Wipe it off and see of you get more
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

FastDoc

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 09:32:13 pm
+1 on the chain lube.

Mine seems to leak from the kick starter inner seal as well.

Clean everything up, including the area by the countershaft sprocket. You can use engine degreaser and rags +/- carb/brake cleaner. BE CAREFUL for your eyes and paint.

Then observe after every short ride to see the first place that gets oil. I bet it's the inner kickstart seal.

I plan to let mine go for now. I wipe off the oil every couple rides before it gets a chance to drip down the side of the engine to the bottom.

I'm a bit angry about this manufacturing defect. I plan to bring it to the dealer for repair, but I'll wait until near the end of the warranty period so any other squalks that may develop may be addressed at the same time. I'm 2+ hours away from the nearest dealer.
Happily riding in the southeast Washington desert
Bikes owned:

2004 Ducati ST4S-ABS
2007 Honda Gold Wing 1800
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S Dualsport
1998 Yamaha YZ400F racebike converted to Dualsport
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

Other stuff:

2002 Maule airplane
1996 Corvette
1992 Ranger 4X4

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 02:47:34 am
I had hoped that - but wiping off a few times and still there - in fairness to the dealer they did offer to fix, but a 1hr ride each way, the "need" the bike for the day, so the train into work, and dump new oil - my suggestion to be given new O ring for next change
2014 C5
56 MGA
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 03:30:50 am
Ok, copy that.
Make sure your o-ring groove and the o-ring are clean when assembling. The currently installed one may have been nicked during assembly.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 03:33:59 am
Or gotten a bit of grit on it.

Dharmabum

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 07:08:58 am
my 2014 c5 leaked  a drop from the main drain plug from new at the 500k service a little bit of gunk(??) I was told the diameter of the o ring ( not the radius) was under what it needs to be to give a complete seal. So if its the drain plug that's leaking that's the fix. They said they were waiting for a bigger diameter o ring to be supplied to them by the factory.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 11:31:25 am
You can try unscrewing the main magnetic drain plug just a bit, and then tightening it. Torque figure is 2 kg/m (20NM)or 1.34 lbs/ft. Oil won't drip out if you loosen it just a bit. After re-tightening, clean/wipe off the residual oil and go for a ride and check again for any leak.

Also, when you unscrew the main drain plug ( just a little  ;) ), you can try applying a high-temp silicone sealant throughout the circumference of the plug. Then tighten it about 90%, wait 1 hour and then tighten 100%
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:44:57 am by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 03:12:20 pm
Which model, B5, C5 or G5?  Have you looked in the air cleaner?  If it's in the air cleaner it's probably a tad overfilled and blowing out into there.  It is not normal for these bikes to leak.

If you can't isolate where it's coming from, where is the puddle  on the floor?  Right, left, front, back?

Scott

Seems to be coming from the right side or directly underneath, but moreso when I leave it on the side stand.  Any ideas?

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 03:47:08 pm
Seems to be coming from the right side or directly underneath, but moreso when I leave it on the side stand.  Any ideas?

Honestly, mate, this is so hard without actually being there.  There could be loads of possible places for the leak.

If I were you, I'd get the entire underside of the engine completely clean, and then lie under it and watch.  Have you got some way of raising it from the ground?  That would make it easier.

Maybe you could get it clean, and then blow talcum powder all over it.  That way you might see a track where the oil has travelled, and trace it back to the source.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 06:11:51 pm
Ohhhh, talcum powder is a good idea!!!  I'll try that.  Thank you.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 06:38:47 pm
Or spray on foot powder.  Easy to apply, shows exactly where it's coming from, washes right off when you're done.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 08:42:39 pm
The spray on foot powder might actually "cure" your leak!  :-X

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 04:21:04 am
WWII Brit military bikes were surprisingly oil tight considering the primitive & hasty build, due to heavy coats of paint brush applied to the entire engine. Only mentioning this to make you feel fortunate you have a UCE Enfield.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: October 25, 2014, 08:22:53 am
Mine dribbles. Sometimes. Culprits are.  1 . Stuffed gasket engine Casing right side.  Replaced gasket but I find high temp gasket glue works better instead.
2. Gear change seal. Replaced and all sorted.
3. Oil sump plug . Copper washer and o rings and right tension on those nuts required. I'm currently down 1 of those bolts as ones head popped off. Only one bolt in and no leaks still.
4. Under fill rather than over fill.

I've kinda given up. Got so much to do on this thing as always and I'm just riding it as is ATM. However I really need to get those broken bolts outta about 4 places. Master cylinder. Oil filter, oil sump. Handle bars. Sick of being covered in enfield grease on a daily basis so I'm just riding it as is with a horrible right hand vibration...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 08:29:04 am by Sectorsteve »